What's the best head/helmet camera?

the_robbo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I'm thinking of getting a camera to wear whilst skirmishing and when doing other hobbies too.

There are an awful lot of different cameras out there and I don't know anybody with one and figured some of you here may have cameras.

Below are the sort of things I would like to know:

1. Which is the overall best (be realistic in terms of price ie in hundreds not thousands)?

2. Which is the best in terms of picture quality and angle of view?

3. Which is the best for ease of use?

4. Which is the best for available mounting accessories?

5. What is the best way to mount a camera for capturing decent videos of a skirmish?

6. Are there any brands to steer clear of?

There may be other valid points to consider so ease feel free to share them and your experiences.

• Supporters

Ok One line TACHYON HD2 i have one its awesome it`s what rainbow airsoft use over in america and you can get Mini version`s aswell all for under 500 of her majesty`s finest

• Supporters

ContourHD and GoPro cams are both great choices, both under £200 from what I remember

• Supporters

lol yeah that`d the one i remembered it while i was a work the Contour HD2 is the best it has a picattiny rail mount and ton`s of other`s but if you want something smaller tachyon XC Miini 2 is good but it`s like 350 quid as it just cam out in december or something

• 2 weeks later...
Ok One line TACHYON HD2 i have one its awesome it`s what rainbow airsoft use over in america and you can get Mini version`s aswell all for under 500 of her majesty`s finest

Might be getting one of them in the fututre :)

I'll dig mine out at some point - can't remember what it is; its not the best but its not that expensive.

A great one is a GoPro

Really durable. Not too expensive.

an investment that's really worth it if your keen on filming while playing.

I've also seen players with go pro's on their rifle.. not just their helmet.

So it comes with versatility as well as durability.

ContourROAM is a good camera for POV recording.

Mine cost me 120 brand new, i then got official attachments so i could fit it to my snowboard, car, helmet, even found a RIS mount so i could mount it on my rifle rail.

the unit it self is pretty water proof, ive put it though mud and snow and still works fine, but you can also get hard shell casing for it, and water proof casings if you want to film while at sea (surfing/jetskis ect) fresh water is cool, but salt water can break even the best stuff. so id advise the water proof case just for the safe side.

Picture quality is fantastic like most on the market.

although for the price (i paid 120) most others i saw were only 720 @ 25/30 FPS with about 120-150* FOV.

the contourRoam which i have is full HD (1920 x 1080 @ 30/25fps) with 170* FOV

i have a 20gb card in it atm, but i think it can handle bigger, all in all, id advise it to any one who wanted a camera like this.

Hope this helps

Archived