GZ Weekender/NAE 2012

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Delta and there's something like just under 3 months to book i think

okay thanks, is there limited space in the teams?

• Supporters
okay thanks, is there limited space in the teams?

No but its only £25 to book it then you pay the rest on the day

So book soon

I am currently toying between the GZ weekender and the Tier1 event at Thetford - http://www.tier1militarysimulation.com/int...tion-sandstorm/

What is the benefit of the GZ weekender over the Tier1 event?

Tier1 is only 1hr away and is for the same period

GZ is hours away but has shops and LOTS of people!

Is GZ milsim? or 2 days worth of 'standard' skirmishing??

Both are same price btw (entry fee)

i guess the GZ weekender is just a big get together for some on mass fun then, whereas Tier1 is more 'serious'

I guess then for a newbie like myself I might be better off going for the laid back fun

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

It's looking like I might pass this up, I'm more focused on getting all my guns and kit running to the level I'll be happy with than anything else at the moment.

An expensive skirmish event isn't something I can afford right now, and I'm still worrying about how I'm going to get there and back. I think it deserves more planning time than I've given it, so I'll try and plan ahead better for next year's NAE.

Though I've discovered the AI500 and once I've got some proper gear for a more MilSim-esque appearance, I think I find the idea of that more appealing, so I might look at doing that instead.

PLUS, my Uni society ought to be up and running by next year, so transport and companions won't be such an issue/worry.

Either way, it's looking like I won't be there. Sorry guys.

well ive booked my flight and the time off work now all i need to do is sort out what im taking since ive got a limit of 20kg and ive got hold of a ulster flag to carry in to battle

• Supporters

I'm very interested. Of course I don't actually have a patch right now, but that can be rectified shortly...

Hey Ed, how does £75.30 return, mostly on trains, grab you?

If you, or anyone else coming from S Yorks / E Mids, is short camping gear and is willing to help me carry stuff, I have 1 defo, possibly 2 spare sleeping bag/s, ditto mats, 1 Bergen, 1 canteen & ally mug, mess tins, spork, plus 1 ring gas cooker, hexi cooker, a crap 2 man tent that is best for 1, 2.4 x 1.8m bivvi tarp & groundsheet, short poles, pegs, paracord...

I wouldn't worry about travelling on public transport in your gear etc., I almost always go to and from Skirmish in my loadout and recently carrying my AK too, plus I've done the same to and from Sheffield on the train. I leave the mags out, keep it covered up and keep my Skirmish membership card handy, just in case, but I've had no problems apart from a couple of people ask if I'm in the army or TA! Oh yeah, the hair is so I can infiltrate gangs of terrorist hippies, etc...

• Supporters

Would like to direct people viewing this to the Carpooling thread now - we're getting closer and I'd like to start seeing some co-ordination.

It may now be the case that I am unable to attend due to family commitments, but we shall see.

• Supporters
Hey Ed, how does £75.30 return, mostly on trains, grab you?

I actually found a quote for going by coach that was about £50 return, leaving Saturday and coming back on Monday, which sounded quite good. But the travel time was over 7 hours and I can't get hold of the company to ask them about transporting my equipment. I didn't wait to buy the ticket and them have them turn me away because of my military-esque appearance when I turn up.

I'd love to come along and I have odd bits and bobs I'd be willing to share but I'd need to set aside at least £200 and I'm not sure I can afford it.

• Supporters

Well this would take about 6 hours for you. Book trainS on the East Midlands Trains site - it's sort of what you were talking about when the fares change at certain points.

So £3 each way from Sheffield <--> Nottingham as 2 Singles | Friday am depart 08:38 arrive 09:30 | Monday pm depart 15:45 arrive 16:38

£31:50 Nottingham -> Salisbury Single 2 Changes (wait for it...)

depart 09:37 arrive 10:54 Birmingham New St

depart 11:12 arrive 12:40 Bristol Temple Meads

depart 12:51 arrive 14:10 Salisbury

£5.40 Wilts & Dorset Bus X3 Salisbury bus station -> Ringwood depart 14:40 arrive 15:21

Right, so it's a bit of a faff, but I reckon the breaks will make it a lot more bearable than, for eg, stuck in 1 uncomfy coach seat listening to who knows what wailing kids / boneheaded loudmouths / etc. a whole 7hrs. If we get some irritation, it won't last that long...

Return Monday am

£5.40 X3 bus depart Ringwood 09:42 arrive Salisbury 10:22

£27 depart 10:47 arrive 12:47 London Waterloo

Tube to St. Pancras Intl in 56mins = easy | I dunno how much but can't be more than £5

depart 13:15 arrive Nottingham 14:59

£25 now + £60 balance to pay to GZ

£50 food & airsoft consumables

= £89.50 before August and £125.80 to take with = £215.30

So yeah, you're right-ish... but it's in 2 chunks. I dunno how your finances work but that split helps me loads! I realise that saving £25 by taking a coach seems attractive, but I promise you it's worth £25 to arrive in a mood to enjoy yourself vs ready to go home as soon as we get there but dreading the prospect... I used to do Liverpool to Bristol & back quite often when I was a student and I swear the mood the coach trips left me in contributed to my g/f and I splitting up!

The only other issues I see are:

1) that we'll need to be well organised beforehand so that we can get all the stuff onto the train from Nottingham on Friday am, because we'll only have 7mins max from when you get in;

2) crossing London carrying RIFs on the way back - personally I'm not too bothered: if we get any grief it'll be too late to stop us enjoying the weekend, but it's not like we'll be waving anything around like knobs, is it? We'll look like what we will be - tired and probably a bit dirty hobbyists on our way home. Airsoft ID handy for quick deployment - job's a good'un.

Wait... i can get the bus there for £5.40??? lol

• Supporters
Wait... i can get the bus there for £5.40??? lol

The bus goes from Salisbury to Ringwood for £5.40.

Dunno, are you in Salisbury for some other reason round then?

Dorset/Hampshire is a bit of a pig to get around via public transport because good old Dr. Beeching dismantled the railways... but Wilts & Dorset Bus Co. do a reasonable job. I think their max fair is about £7, so from Cov you could probably take a train to North Dorset and bus the rest of the way. Actually I think you can get a train as far as Gillingham. You might have to change busses in Shaftsbury or Blandford from there to get to Ringwood.

Hope that clears up any confusion :P:lol:

Well im in wiltshire now because i've finished uni. Would only take me a short trip from my town to Salisbury.

• Supporters

You'll have to go over it with me next time I see you Ian, it sounds quite complicated and confusing reading it on here. It might be easier to work out if we have an actual conversation about it lol.

When are you next planning a trip to Skirmish?

• Supporters

You're laughing then, Tariq!

:rolleyes: Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarstaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard! ;)

When are you next planning a trip to Skirmish?

Probably Sat 23rd june, mate. I might get there for the 17th, but you're not there then anyway, right?

It does look complex I spose, but it's dead simple really:

1) you go to East Midlands Trains - you want to search Sheffield to Nottingham (24/08/12 arrive before 09:45) Return (27/08/12 depart after 15:00) 1st - it'll come up with 2 singles with options at £3 each highlighted in yellow - choose the ones I've put the times for above.

2) go back to the front page and type in Nottingham to Salisbury (24/08/12 depart after 09:30) Return (27/08/12 depart after 10:30) - again it'll come up with 2 singles with time options highlighted in yellow - choose the times above.

3) Make sure you have the bus and tube fares for the Salisbury <--> Ringwood and Waterloo -> St. Pancras journeys if/when we go!

The changes are automatically generated. I just put them in above so you'd know what the whole journey entailed. The reason for booking from Nottingham is so that we can get the same train, because if you book from Sheffield, the cheapest option is a different time/route, but you get it cheap at those times anyway...

• Supporters

Mate, you'll feel like you did the journey twice too after those bus trips! :lol:

Sh!te!!!!!!!! I forgot to add the £5 extra to camp overnight Sunday so we can leave fresh Monday am

Correct Total = £220.30

how much is it for a bus from london to where ever this place is

also so far ive spent 50 quid on travail and i have another 14 quid for the bus to dublin

• Supporters

Dunno Craig, mate. I've done my long journeys on busses. Never again. Never a-f¿<€ing-gain, mate!

yeah i know what your on about if only i could take the bake B)

Archived