Airsoft and paintball (wikipedia)

G-Force
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know there have been simmilar topics like this in the past but I just found something on wikipedia. This is what wikipedia seems to think about airsoft:

'Airsoft is an activity in which participants shoot round non-metallic pellets launched via replica firearms. It is not considered a sport.'

And then paintball:

'Paintball is a sport in which players compete...'

Personally I think if paintball is a sport then airsoft should be. Their pretty much the same in that sense. I know paintball is genneraly more competitive with leagues and competitions but now in America at least there are some competitive airsoft leagues coming up. Unfortuneately not so much here in the UK.

So do you guys think airsoft and paintball are sports or hobbies?

• Supporters

You changed it to "Airsoft is a sport in which participants shoot round non-metallic pellets launched via replica firearms. It is not considered a sport:". Slightly contradictory there :P

I can see how paintball in america is considered a sport but if thats the case so should airsoft, we just don't wear MX clothes when we do it

In many countries it is listed as a sport and receives government support as a result of that.

Government support... something I don't think we'll see anytime soon in this country. <_<

As said before stuff like chess are considred sports then airsoft definately should. Also according to the not so reliable wikipedia:

'Sport is all forms of physical activity which, through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants. Sport may be competitive, where a winner or winners can be identified by objective means'

Airsoft fits that

are there any requirements for somthing to be considered a proper sport? imo there should be leagues etc before something can be considered in the same league as football,rugby,motorsport etc. although at the same time its something that requires you to more about etc so can be considered a sport in that sense.

Talking about leagues I wish there was something like this in the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVHZhYwvKo...feature=related

We wanted to do stuff like this at the site my dad co owns but it wouldn't be cost effective :/ A think more competitive types of games for those that are interested or have teams would help the sport be recognise a bit more.

Talking about leagues I wish there was something like this in the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVHZhYwvKo...feature=related

We wanted to do stuff like this at the site my dad co owns but it wouldn't be cost effective :/ A think more competitive types of games for those that are interested or have teams would help the sport be recognise a bit more.

dunno if its just my internet but link isnt working for me

• Supporters

That guy`s a C**** M****** i had that idea with a slight twist and was talking to him about it and he stole it wh@t a *** i wonder if i could sue him as i have doc`s dated in 2010 as the first outline`s of rule`s somewhere and alex PM me im off tomorrow and could talk you through it as im gonna be ringing some site`s up and seeing if they would like to participate in a competetive style themselve`s

• Supporters

effectively as i was talking to him about it in december 2010 but he made a few change`s like you have to have specific classe`s which make`s it totally different to my original version but then again maybe it was only inspirational but im pissed at him and he`s getting a rude phone call tommorrow

he should at least give you credit for it, and if he is making profit then its worth inquireing about it, Finius may be able to help but not sure if he does this type of law

Archived