Finishing my Sniper Loadout

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I've decided I'm going to finish of my sniper load out, meaning a few tweaks and a couple more upgradesto my sniper, and a ghillie suit, maybe a new side arm and something to carry it all. A new scope, replacement stock (or at least something to make it more comfortable), a spray job and some proper rifle wrap for it.

So a few questions.

- I know there are quite a few variants of the L96. I was wondering which one my airsoft version is based off? It doesn't have a fluted barrel or any iron sights, and I did a quick search but I don't really know what I'm searching for. I found this; http://www.eliteukforces.info/special-air-...weapons/l96.php which has a picture at the bottom of the AWS suppressed, which looks exactly like my sniper.

- So, who used/uses that sniper? And when did they use it? I presume the SAS do/did, if that website's correct.

- What was the issue side arm for whoever used the sniper at the time it was used? And who (if anyone) makes the best airsoft version of it?

- Ghillie suit. Make my own (if so, how?) or buy one of these ghillie suits and rifle wraps?

- How do you carry gear with a ghillie suit on? I presume snipers don't carry just their gun, so they must have some form of load carrying equipment. But what and where does it go? Looking for stuff that goes with the questions above. Looking for something to carry pistol and magazines, two speedloaders, two spare L96 magazines, small Allen key set, couple of smoke grenades.

- Finally, if you snipe, what do you wear/use? Pictures pleases :).

In the meantime, I'll do some more searching...

Thanks a lot.

• Supporters

Making a ghillie suit can be as easy or as hard as you make it, there was a guy at my site a while ago who made his own and he was INVISIBLE! It was honestly amazing.

What he did, was cut off the front of a hoody, so he kept the sleeves, the hood and the back to hold it all together, allowing the front to still be free for a combat vest of some description, then he had some camo netting which he, I think, stapled to the ends of the sleeves, the top of the hood and the bottom corners of the back of the hoody.

Then he just threaded a ton of stuff through the netting that matched the environment we were in and finished it off by taping the bottom end of the netting to the back of his legs and shoes.

I think just having an upper body suit would be just as effective but his ghillie was phenomenal.

Netting costs next to nothing, everyone has an old hoody they can rip up and covering yourself in bracken is free too lol.

Simple and immensely effective.

I'd recommend not getting one of the suits you linked, they're really not that great, I've seen a few people wearing them at my woodland site and if anything, they're easier to spot than someone wearing a black-all-in-one.

• Supporters

I don't have any hoodies to rip up.. I have one hoody, which I'm now wearing.

I didn't think bought ones were very effective, I'll have to have a proper search around into making one.

I'm not too fussed on costs, as this will take a while to complete.

• Supporters

'time consuming'

I'm in the process of making a cape at the moment, I bought the strings and an old short to destroy and a webtex concealment vest as the base, plus a few scrim nets for the G-spec.

G-spec took 12 hours.

cape is at 10 hours at the moment, and I have only done the bottom of it - I'm looking at probably another 30-35 before it's finished.

• Supporters

Yay! Even less revision!

The webtex concealment vest is a good base for a "build your own"

http://www.rockandrescue.co.uk/outdoor-c64...gn=froogle#3401

Also its open so good if you want to wear a vest of some kind or just for mobility.

• Supporters

Yeah I'll probably get one of those actually, seems like a good idea..

What about load carrying? I have a Viper LA-SF vest, but it's not practical for sniping, all pouches on the front, M4 size, etc.

So what do actual snipers use?

I think I found out that the airsoft L96 is based off the L96 AWS, which is the suppressed AW, which came into service in 1988? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And what side arm is appropriate for the same time (year)?

• Supporters

Sniper`s From what i have been told used to (i should probably say im thinking of a more scout sniper with a spotter packing all the fun stuff thing) run Belt rig`s CK found a great belt its on his YT channel i think or get one from airsoftclub (one with suspender`s) and put pistol mag pouch`s and whatever the rest was oh and make sure and get a Water bottle pouch i used to run a USGI canteen and will do again when i can import another Metal winter one for scotland Although i used it for cooking Lol as i had a 3L Bladder on my suspendor`s

*UKTACTICAL do Molle Belt`s aswell They have one already built for the L96 i think?

• Supporters

1988 British Army sidearm would've been the Browning Hi-Power, WE Tech make a really, really nice GBB one but I think it might have non-adjustable hop, you'll have to hunt around to clarify.

Also, there's always the chance that snipers might have been issued something different for whatever reason.

My Uncle was a sniper in the Paras around that time, if I see him any time soon then I'll try and remember to ask him, but he's been going to and from Italy a hell of a lot over the last 5 or 6 years.

I know that more recently snipers use L85s with their high power rifles in drag bags. But obviously that's not practical in airsofting...

Archived