Performance of Carbines

Parakitteh
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've owned a DE M85 for a number of months, and have become relatively disappointed with its lack of performance in skirmishing. It's a dependable and fun gun, but it's not just underpowered, it's very light, not very well detailed and the forty-round magazines are very small (though running around with four clipped magazines on your gun can be pretty hilarious).

I'm currently thinking between either an AEG UM-2150 AKS-74u replica, or an AEG M901A AK-47 Spetsnaz replica.

The M901 (at £100 best price) is £30 more than the UM-2150 (£70 best price), but the UM only has a 46-round magazine and I can't find anywhere to buy spares. And buying other types of AK-74 mag probably won't be compatible and would take me close to or over the price of the 901, while that has a four hundred round magazine - which is more total than the original mag and any potentially-incompatible spares I could find for the UM.

One of the things I noticed with my M85 is that, without the mock silencer as a barrel extension, the accuracy of the nine-inch barrel was absolutely terrible. An AK-47/74u only has an eight inch barrel being a carbine, but does the system and improved FPS make up for its shortfalls in accuracy?

I normally play indoor skirmishing, but where I go to uni is an outdoor pro circuit that I'd need a new gun for anyway.

Just as a note, I'm, a student, so running on a relatively low price, and I'm not UKARA-eligible, so if anyone would make a better recommendation than either the UM or 901, it needs to be available in two-tone and <350fps, I'm afraid. High cap magazines for other recommendations are preferable, if not, something I can buy spares for.

Thanks.

My God... before looking at your guide, I thought AEG was a brand name xD

Do you have links for the items you have described?

Well, I could give the JBBG link since that's what I have open, but judging from the post below you, I oughtn't xD

Anyway, for ease's sake...

M901A AK-47u

UM-2150 AKS-74u

But like I said, the UM is low capacity, and by the time I try rectifying that with spare magazines, I'm gone up to or above the 901's price, and still ended up with less rounds. So of the two, I'd probably be looking at a 901.

the M901 would be the model to go for there, other AK mags WILL fit it, but I would suggest spending a little more on either a Cybergun or CYMA branded version to ensure better quality and fitment of parts.

Ignore the JBBGuns review videos and comments aswell and NEVER use bulldog BB's

Apologies, I think they sell Target BBs, actually, it's been about three or four months since I last went in fairness.

Whilst the CYMA looks good ($135 USD probably comes to a bit less than the DE 901), I'm not UKARA registered, so I need a two-tone. I came close to qualifying for membership this year, but had to stop playing because I went to University.

Unless there's a way to accept an RIF without being UKARA registered and still stay within the law...

Some of the guns on NOVAT look a bit out of my price range and zeroone being unfortunately well out of range, but I do like the look of the G3 SAS but it's out of stock, so maybe the AK Tactical over the AKS-74u. I think I'm looking at as far below £150 as I can reasonably get.

You say barrel length makes no real difference in airsoft? That was one of the concerns with buying another carbine (the mock silencer on my M85 does appear to be a tighter bore than the actual barrel, maybe explaining its poor 'short barrel' performance without the silencer attached).

How easy is it to upgrade to a tightbore barrel? The place where I go where I live does do modifications, but I think it may be limited largely to tuning and detuning gearboxes and such, but I could always ask.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info...roducts_id=5645

great starter gun for £120

http://www.cbairsoft.co.uk/gun-shop.php

either the Ak74 or the g36 are good starter guns as well for around £130

Airsoftworld also sell 2 tone guns as do actionhobbies for around the £140 mark

The original 2 you linked to are not really skirmishable, more like back garden plinkers.

One of my favorite sayings is "Buy cheap, buy twice" and that is exactly what you would be doing buying another. You'll have spent well over £150 on 2 cheap guns, when you should have pushed the boat out a bit first time round!

If you're starting to play on a "pro circuit" - whatever that is ;) then a cheap justbbgun jobby will not be up to spec. You'll be out ranged and out performed by everything on the field.

The best advice is this:

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info...roducts_id=5645

great starter gun for £120

http://www.cbairsoft.co.uk/gun-shop.php

either the Ak74 or the g36 are good starter guns as well for around £130

Especially the JG G36. Folding stock for cqb, great quality and performance, 400 round hicap, very robust.

I have considered the JG G36 before - one of the best looking guns I've seen, and JGs are supposed to be a good brand.

That said, I'm interested in trying to acquire a folding-stock JG G3 SAS. However, I've seen wildly differentiating prices for it. I've seen collapsing stock variants for $300, the fixed stock TM for $110 and the fixed stock JG copy at £130 on NOVAT, but everywhere I've looked has it out of stock, and NOVAT would be the one place I could get it two-tone painted.

On an American site, I've seen the folding stock variant of the JG repeatedly quoted at $70, which sounds stupidly cheap and above all, dodgy, as well as not being able to two-tone it.

If I waited for NOVAT's fixed-stock SAS to come back in stock, how possible do you reckon it would be to buy that, then replace its stock with a folding version I somehow acquire?

If this isn't really feasible, I'll probably just settle for the JG G36. I just fancied the SAS as it's probably pretty unique as a weapon, anywhere I'd go.

Also, my M85 has basically paid itself off - you get effectively a 50% discount at the place I used to go for using your own weapon(s), so I could always eBay it and its spare mags and technically be in the black on it. It's a small indoor warehouse, so a backyard plinker was all I never needed, but if I want to play a bigger circuit, I obviously need a better gun - hence looking around these sites.

Fair enough - I can see it being OK for close quarters indoor games, but for woodland you'll be seriously outclassed.

Don't see too many G3 SAS at games, so it would definitely be a bit rarer. That also means there will be fewer accessories/parts available for it if you wanted to customise it further. No idea about swapping the stocks :(

Remember that while US prices look attractive, you'll get hit for VAT plus handling fees on top of anything you import - assuming you get a UKARA number and it doesn't get seized anyway. It might still work out cheaper to import, but if it's broken or goes wrong as soon as you use it then you'll find any kind of warranty repair virtually impossible. It costs a bit more from a UK retailer, but they will have to provide a warranty for it should it be DOA.

Well, I did see one site that seemed to stock dozens of spares (whether they were actually in stock or just listed I'm not sure) for the G3 and all variants, including SAS-length precision inner barrels and such - didn't spot stocks available for separate purchase, and there's the issue of buying one in the first place, which seems really difficult. The JG G36 might just be the best option, given the difficulty and wait involved in pandering for a G3 SAS.

Archived