Barrel Upgrades

Rock-climby-Dave
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As a stock weapon (and the only time it has been chrono'd) My M4 fired at 333fps. bang on what I expected. It has been used a fair amount since then (3 more skirmishes) so the spring may have worn a bit to a lower FPS, but the main point is the barrel.

I upgraded from a stock JG M4 barrel (not tighbore) to a madbull 6.03mm tightbore. (the barrel is also about 200mm longer now)

I believe this will make my FPS higher, due to less air escapiong around the BB so more of the air is used to push the BB itself.

A freind reckons that my FPS will be lower (although I don't see his reasoning)

who is right? and will it make much of a differnce either way?

I will have the gun chrono'd before I go airsofting on sunday anyway, as I need 328fps +/-5%

also, are chrono's worth the money?

• Supporters
As a stock weapon (and the only time it has been chrono'd) My M4 fired at 333fps. bang on what I expected. It has been used a fair amount since then (3 more skirmishes) so the spring may have worn a bit to a lower FPS, but the main point is the barrel.

I upgraded from a stock JG M4 barrel (not tighbore) to a madbull 6.03mm tightbore. (the barrel is also about 200mm longer now)

I believe this will make my FPS higher, due to less air escapiong around the BB so more of the air is used to push the BB itself.

A freind reckons that my FPS will be lower (although I don't see his reasoning)

who is right? and will it make much of a differnce either way?

I will have the gun chrono'd before I go airsofting on sunday anyway, as I need 328fps +/-5%

also, are chrono's worth the money?

chrono's aren't really worth the money unless they see regular use (such as at a site) :) when changing parts that may affect FPS always try and stay below site limits eg 300 rather then 330 bang on.

as for the FPS change im not sure, i always thought it wouldn't really change?

• AF-UK Founding Member

I'm pretty sure it would increase because the BB would be under pressure for longer, I'm not totally sure though, and I don't think the increase would be that noticeable tbh, what spring you have is a far bigger factor in the FPS. Best thing to do is just fit it and see where you are, can always get a spring which will give you a lower velocity or chop a bit off your current one. Let us know the result :)

As far as a FPS increases go, if you go from a normal to a tight bore you COULD expect as much as a 20 FPS increase (but depends alot on the air seal achieved and alot of other factors), with length practically nothing as a BB reaches maximum velocity almost straight away (unlike in a real firearm where it increases with barrel length).

Archived