.40g charts?

SheriffHD
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

OK well ive used .20g every since i started airsofting really.

seeing a fair few people using these new heavy bb's from madbull the .34g/.36g/.40g

now i know this are more of a sniper round.

But dispite searching youtube, its hard to find any results actually looking at the ammo itself.

All i want to know, is the difference in range drop of between .20g vs .40g

accuracy difference between .20g vs .40g

and if it would prove useful to use in a standard every day M4.

any one got any flow charts/videos on this matter?

• Supporters

I've got some .40s that I bought for my sniper and tried them in my MP5, my MP5 shoots at 327fps with .20s.

Also as reference for the fps drop, I had an M4 that was shooting hot at 380fps, I chrono'd with .30s and the fps dropped by 80! So using .40s will massively, massively reduce your fps and I know people say that fps doesn't make much difference when it comes to range, but lower fps and heavier ammo is a double whammy of range losingness.

Anyway, back to my MP5, when I used .40s a few things became apparent, I needed to use way more hop to get the rounds to fly straight, that much is obvious, the other thing was that range was substantially reduced. I wouldn't have wanted to try engaging anything beyond 20m because firstly, it would take the shots longer to get there and secondly, they wouldn't get there.

Also, it's near impossible to find ammo heavier than .30 that's white. If you go heavier than .30 you're going to have to have green or black ammo and dark ammo is insanely hard to see, making aiming more difficult.

The killing blow in this debate however, is that where a pot of 3000 .20s will cost you about £8.

A pot of 3000 .40s will cost you more than £20.

So it's just really not worth it. The highest weight ammo I'd use in an AEG is .30, I use .25s as my standard ammo. Definitely don't recommend using heavier than .30s

as airsoft ed said heavier bbs lose fps and theres only so much fps you can loss while keeping the range like tm guns excellent range but only 280 fps. Then youve got to think if your aeg hop will put enough backspin on the bb to make it fly straight. The fps would be reduced to around 200 fps and people will not be able to feel the hit. The heavier weight bbs punch through dense brush better and when theres wind about heavier bbs are more accurate. I used to use 0.20g im my gr 16 but put a fire fly hop and use 0.25g and its more accurate and has further range.

• Supporters

its all about ballancing accuracy and range, if you go too heavy you miss out on range, too light and accuracy wont be as high.

on an AEG i wouldnt use heavier than .25's or .28's unless its a high FPS semi locked DMR

Best thing to do is buy some of each and test them out, see what works best for you

DO NOT USE HEAVIER AMMO TO LOWER FPS TO FOOL THE SITE CHRONO THOUGH, as you could quite easily hurt someone with a full auto 450fps aeg.

For a full auto AEG at 340fps I would use .25's as a good compromise on weight and price. I would use .28's in a very well set up gun. The heavier weight gives you better straight line charachteristics as it is less likely to get blown by the wind or deflected by leaves as for range loss it is insignificant.

As for guys using .36 and higher in AEG's, seems to me to be a trendy thing to do rather than any significant advantage.

• Supporters

I've seen a rather large table showing various results of tests comparing different BBs (weights and sizes), FPS (with .20g) and diameter of barrel.

It was an Excel file download on some forums, I'll see if I can find it anywhere..

EDIT: Here's a mildly similar one; http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/post-a1708-.html

Not got anywhere near as much information on it, was most likely calculated rather than tested.

• Supporters

Also, if you were to make a chart, what would the base gun for the tests have its fps set to?

As, if you compared the performance of a 350fps AEG using .4s with the performance of the same ammo in a 500fps spring sniper they'd be impossibly different.

So a chart that is of any real use just can't exist. You'd have to have multiple charts to show how the ammo weights perform in different types of gun with vastly different fps ratings.

So it'd be a REALLY expensive process, unless someone with a fair few guns is willing to spend about a day with a chrono, targets and a large area for testing range.

Compiling the data would take literally forever and the results would most likely mirror what everyone already knows.

Plus there are far too many variables for it to ever be an accurate test anyway.

• Supporters

Yeah, I'd like to try and do a concise test on bb's, barrel lengths, widths, differences FPS makes etc. But it'd be more trouble than its worth, and you'd need a long indoor room to try and negate any environmental effects. Still, it'd not be worth the effort

• Supporters

I'm not saying it was a helpful chart, it was more of a load of tables in Excel :L

But every gun, every hop and every BB's different, so wouldn't be much help really.

Archived