L85, a journey... By Airsoft Ed. :P

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I don't think he is a newbie lol, probably has more experience than me, just less to show for it on these forums.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he is a newbie lol, probably has more experience than me, just less to show for it on these forums.

I wasn't refering to Chris, he's like an airsoft God! was refering to the non-members and such mentioned before :D

oh BTW, A-TACS on my shotgun, good or bad?

• Supporters

As in camo?

I don't think it's necessary on a CQB weapon, I don't like camouflaging guns as it is tbh.

As in camo?

I don't think it's necessary on a CQB weapon, I don't like camouflaging guns as it is tbh.

yea, I'm doing my M4 so would match :) only the grip and pump handle

but don't want to go off topic, I've got a whole topic on my gun camo :D

• Supporters

Off topic? Bah!

I'm epically happy right now, I can't sit still because I'm so excited about awesome-ing up my L85, can't wait for it to be all awesome and railed, ACOGd and grippodded to the max, with a twist barrel and all that jazz...

Annnddd, I've just had someone offer me a practically new G&P M16A3 in exchange for my KJW M700, I've always wanted another M16 since I got rid of my GBBR. If this swap deal goes ahead the M16'll be my... 6th gun in only 13 months of airsofting xD I think I have an addiction.

I even got my brother the two guns he's been through, so technically I've had 8. Never owning more than 4 at a time. That's got to be some sort of record.

• Supporters

Cost wise I'm being slightly ripped off, I'm swapping £360 worth of stuff for about £330 worth of stuff, but I'm keeping my scope, otherwise it'd be 430 to 330, plus then I can put it on my brother's M14, assuming he ever buys as damn mount lol.

I'm happy with it though, I've always missed having an M16 since I sold my last one and I think that for me, AEGs are just more usable. I've hardly used my sniper, I think I bought it more for the aesthetics, 'cos it looks god damn awesome, I wish I had a better camera so I could show it off more, it turned everyone's head in the safe zone whenever I took it out, but also because it was the only type of gun apart from support that I hadn't owned at least one of yet lol.

But when you're using it, you really need to have an AEG as a back up at the sniper just weighs too much for that to be comfortable or even possible at all.

So roll on the M16 =D

• Supporters

Made my first upgrade purchase just now, finally found somewhere with twist barrels in stock so I ordered immediately, I heard they might've been discontinued or something?

They seem incredibly illusive either way.

But yeah, due to arrive in 15-18 days, so I may well go mad with stress waiting for it to arrive and imagining all the things that might go wrong on the way... Plus, it cost $80 or so, any idea what the charges are going to be on it?

It's coming from Hong Kong if that's any help.

Also the shop I ordered from I've never heard of before - Maybe a decision I'll live to regret - Scopesandlasers.com/net? Anyone know anything about them?

• Supporters

I've ordered everything I need now apart from a lipo battery, charger and the ACOG mount.

Got mags, barrel, ris, ris adaptor, grip pod all on the way, obviously I've already got the gun.

I must've played my cards a bit crap though, as I just looked over my spending spreadsheet and so far it's come to about £640, I didn't even have to buy an ACOG and I haven't ordered the mount yet! FML.

I guess I hadn't included the mags in my original plan, or the barrel and together they came to about £130ish, so I guess it must be those parts that are to blame.

But damn... Donations for the Ed fund, anyone?

How's everyone enjoying the new thread title by the way? Lol.

• Supporters

Mags arrived this morning, grip pod just showed up, it's actually quite sturdy considering it was £20, though it rattles quite a lot when the bi-pod is out.

Typically it has arrived before the rails <_< I knew that would happen.

Also, just deciding whether or not to get the updated flash hider and it struck me that I don't even know why it's been updated... Surely it can't have any serious operational advantages over the old one, right? I mean, it's a flash hider, they're not really needed anyway.

• Supporters

Three posts in a row... Maybe 4 actually, sorry Dev.

Anyways, I've got everything aesthetic for my L85 now apart from the rail mount I'm after.

So it almost looks 100% awesome, still I refuse to upload photos until it's completely finished.

But, the barrel I've got doesn't fit :( does anyone know if Patrol Base do weapon/gear/kit/part swaps? I want to exchange it for some batteries and a regular tightbore.

I've already PM'd Dave btw lol.

But, the barrel I've got doesn't fit :( does anyone know if Patrol Base do weapon/gear/kit/part swaps? I want to exchange it for some batteries and a regular tightbore.

Is this the L96 barrel, maybe because one is a L96 and one is a L85?

• Supporters

Yes Nick <_<

It does actually go in, it's just too tight to work, the gun jams almost every shot. I think the barrel retention mechanism squeezes it a bit too much as the outside diameter is slightly wider than standard brass AEG barrels.

It's also seriously ruddy heavy. It made my L85 noticeably heavier.

• Supporters

That's what I'm going to do now lol, but I wanted a twist barrel and the L96 ones are the only ones that seem to exist and even then, only on Fire Support.

All other twist barrels have disappeared off the face of the earth.

• Supporters

I'm off to Patrol Base tomorrow to get some stuff so I'll pick one up there.

The best thing about getting a regular tight bore and owning an M16, an L85 and an M14 is that any barrel you buy has three times the value to you, as it can be used in any of them =D

But which bore should I get? I'm thinking either 6.01 or 6.03. 01 because I think it'll be the best because, well, because that's the logical best and 03 because for some reason everyone thinks they're the best...

Tbh I think the barrel bore debate thing is largely down psychological factors, I doubt many people have actually tried the same gun using more than one bore size. I know I haven't. So a lot of people are probably just spreading rumours. I've got to decide what to believe sharpish though, I only have until tomorrow...

• Supporters

We tried an 01 and 03 in my brothers mp5 (both madbull)

It has always been a crap gun- hardly skirmishable, but the 03 seemed better out of both (same length btw)

The 6.01 had a higher fps output but it still had terrible range but accuracy increased a little. The 6.03 made it accurate enough- range wasnt very good still but the gun became vaguely usable

• Supporters

Hmm ok, that's reassuring, was it a visible improvement or did you measure it somehow?

Does anyone know what the stock barrel is in the ICS L85? I mean, range and accuracy are more than decent right out of the box, I might not need to buy a tight bore if the standard is already .03 or something, for example.

Archived