L85, a journey... By Airsoft Ed. :P

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just ordered the gun from Wolf, then nearly had a f*cking heart attack when I went to check my emails...

My emails link all emails from the same contact into one block conversation and after reading the payment confirmation I scrolled down and it said ARES L85! Dundunduuunnn! I nearly shat a brick.

But then I realised that was from months ago when I ordered my brother's birthday present xD

God, I seriously nearly had heart failure hahaha.

Ok, so I'm trying to order this from Antsupplies: http://ant-supplies.co.uk/SA80ACOGMount.aspx

But I can't find the 'Add to cart' button to save my life, do you have to order by phone, or what? HEELLPPP MEEE!

Edit: I think it's probably more than likely down to the fact that they're closed until late January... However, there's still an add to cart button for a lot of other products...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

If 'add to cart' is there for other products, it may be that it's out of stock?

• Supporters

Nope, the add to cart button is still present for some items that are declared out of stock.

I guess it'll be one for ordering over the phone once they're open in mid January.

• Supporters

Cheers for the link Nick, but I'm not a member and I don't want to add another online alias to my ever expanding collection for the sake of reading one guy's post on a forum lol.

• Supporters

L85 just arrived, I see what you mean about the length of L85 mags now Nick, I may have to sell the ones on that I got from you and buy a few L85 specific mid-caps, though I don't see why they're longer than M4 mags... They're the same in real life, right?

But anyway, right off the bat I'm having feeding issues and even when the hop's off the BBs are sky rocketing. Though I prefer the ICS to the Ares my brother had, it sounds better, it feels better, it's easier to take apart, it fits a large battery in it, it's truly amazing lol.

It's a little too dark right now for me to do a decent test so I'll have to look into the hop and feeding problems tomorrow and see if I can't sort the hop issue out with some heavier ammo. Unless anyone has any other solutions?

Also, what would anyone suggest regarding feeding problems? Even the mags it came with are having trouble... I'll try lubing them but is there anything else I could do?

Cheers.

• Supporters

I've PM'd Finius, have to wait and see what he says.

Hubert's review mentions trimming the hop arm shorter, what's the hop arm? I guess it'll be clearer once I take the gun apart but I'd rather keep it closed up as long as possible.

Cheers for the link Nick, but I'm not a member and I don't want to add another online alias to my ever expanding collection for the sake of reading one guy's post on a forum lol.

fair enough but he's selling the whole top half ris, susat rail and grip etc. for £140

I would definately say its worth it for the single registration e-mail!

EDIT: yea I did mention that they may look a bit odd, i think its because the L85 has a larger mag well

• Supporters

It's alright, I think I might just get away with having most of it bought for me as a late christmas present at no personal expense anyway, so it's all good.

I just need to get the hop issue sorted and I'm laughing.

• Supporters

I'm going to give it a go with .30s tomorrow when I can see and hopefully that'll solve the problem, though it's a shame I'll have to suffer a drop in FPS for the sake of a hop up issue.

Plus, I'd still rather have it so I can actually have it switched off, it'll extend the life of the hop rubber if I don't have to have it on a little bit all the time.

Still, got the whole of tomorrow for tinkering. Just wish I had some .25s to test it with.

if the hops annoying you then call up your local shop as they may be able to help

• Supporters

Texted my mate just now, he's going to come over tomorrow to check it out and give me a few .25s to see if they don't ease the problem.

If they don't help then I've got Hubert's review to go on, I just need to open it up, find something that might be described as a 'hop arm' and shave a few mm off it, job's a good 'un.

At least I hope so.

Planning on putting the spring on the 370fps setting, using .25s to bring it down to around 320fps, then I'm going to get a hop twist barrel if I can find one. Finius says his L85 is god like with one fitted. So mine will be god like + lol. Especially once it's fitted out with RIS and everything.

Not to teach you to suck or eggs anything, but just to double check, you are aware that using heavier BBs to bring the FPS down isn't acceptable for skirmish use?

we were mainly using that to sort the hop out. any other ideas?

• Supporters

@CKinnerley My site's limit is 370fps, so I wouldn't be breaking any rules or anything by having it set at that with .20s and then using .25s to bring the FPS down, I only want to lower the FPS because the hop twist barrel I'm planning on buying needs the fps below 330 to work effectively, I'm not trying to hide the fact it's a hot weapon or anything.

But anyway, just done a few thorough tests and I've found that the hop design is just weird and the wheel only rotates clockwise and can't be turned back on itself, so if you miss the sweet spot, you have to spin it through the whole range of hop ons and hop offs to get it to where you want, does that make sense?

It was confusing me last night because spinning the wheel to what I thought was 'hop off' kept putting more hop on, it's just that I had to keep turning it to get it to go off...

It's a damn annoying design but I've got my shots doing what I want now so it's all good. Finius has suggested buying a madbull blue rubber and finding a stronger spring for the hop arm as the stock one is apparently pathetically weak. That should also solve my double feeding issues apparently.

Your mags are still giving me grief though Nick, I won't burden you with asking for a refund or anything, but they keep double stacking in the tube inside the mag and then getting jammed in before they reach the mag's lips, they'll work for maybe 10 shots max, then I have to take them out, ram a screw driver into them until the jam sorts itself out and then keep going, it's rather annoying.

Still, there's tiniest of chances it might just be that they don't like the gun for some reason.

I've asked Finius what mags he uses, so I'm going to sell yours on through the gear section and buy a set that I know will work.

Your mags are still giving me grief though Nick, I won't burden you with asking for a refund or anything, but they keep double stacking in the tube inside the mag and then getting jammed in before they reach the mag's lips, they'll work for maybe 10 shots max, then I have to take them out, ram a screw driver into them until the jam sorts itself out and then keep going, it's rather annoying.

Still, there's tiniest of chances it might just be that they don't like the gun for some reason.

Yea they did that when i tried it on my friends but then on someone elses they were fine? may be the fact they're M4 not SA80 mags although that shouldn't matter. I think they might just not like your gun cus thats what i said in the bit below the sales post.

oh BTW the rail, I cannot seem to line it up eith the holes, just been usinf one hole and then the laser pressure elastic to hold it in place so its not big deal but do you need to do anything to them?

Thanks Nick, oh and any pics of the new gun?

• Supporters

I'll upload some pics once I've got it all sexed up with RIS and everything, which will hopefully be done by late January.

Regarding the rail, everything I had to do with it I sent you in the package, there are two kinds of standard M4 handguard, they have different spacing for the holes. The only thing I can really suggest is drilling through the handguard to make another hole you can use, or see if you can't just squeeze the bolts around the existing holes.

Failing that, you could go to a local shop and see if you can find examples of how handguards can have two different hole spacings and then buy one of the ones it will fit onto.

It was a pretty tight fit on my M16 as well but the site said it was for an M4 so I never expected it to fit anyway, even though it did. I just never had anything to attach to it so it ended up getting left in the back of my airsoft cupboard lol.

nice, how long until it is "sexed up"?

i've probs got the wrong hand gurad but never mind its working fine atm so i'll leave it

• Supporters

Well right now it's just a standard L85A2, I can't afford the ACOG mount, the RIS, the vert. grip bi-pod or a lipo battery kit until after January 3rd, which is meant to be when my next loan installment comes through. If it doesn't come through then, I'm probably going to starve to death before February, but yeah...

As soon as I get the loan I'm going to get all that stuff, though I can't order the mount until the 16th, as that's when the shop reopens and I'm also planning on getting a hop twist barrel as mentioned above, but for that I'll have to wait until Firesupport restock, so I can't give an exact date, but HOPEFULLY, it'll be before February.

• Supporters
@CKinnerley My site's limit is 370fps, so I wouldn't be breaking any rules or anything by having it set at that with .20s and then using .25s to bring the FPS down, I only want to lower the FPS because the hop twist barrel I'm planning on buying needs the fps below 330 to work effectively, I'm not trying to hide the fact it's a hot weapon or anything.

Yeah no worries, I'm sure you weren't trying anything malicious. I just think it's worth mentioning this sort of thing for all the lurkers and non-posters that come on to airsoft forums and might not be aware of the issues.

• Supporters

No harm done, I hadn't thought about giving the wrong impression to non-members. I'll be more careful in future.

No harm done, I hadn't thought about giving the wrong impression to non-members. I'll be more careful in future.

haha c'mon ed you're a veteran now :) you must guide the newbies along to achieve airsofting goodness! :)

(or ask Finius about a good animal sacrifice)

Archived