Modding...

tarsus
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So If I purchased a decent two tone AEG, without UKARA, then bought mods to replace coloured parts with normal black ones ... or even black-painted it. Is it legal to have this kind of gun?

I'm guessing it is, as policy covers only sales area not the actual possession right?

Cheers

Completely illegal without a defence under the VCR Act, as Dev says. By changing the two toned IF (imitation firearm) to a realistic coloured RIF (realistic imitation firearm), you are guilty of manufacturing it, wether you use new parts or paint the bright bits. Quite simply, unless you have a defence to be sold, manufacture or import RIFs, you are stuck with the two tone stuff until you can prove you have that defence.

I'm guessing it is, as policy covers only sales area not the actual possession right?

Wrong! The law does not just cover sales, but also includes manufacture and import. You would be in breach of the manufacturing part.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Just how it is I'm afraid :) Here is the relevant chunk from the VCRA link in the sticky topic:

A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;

(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;

Hope this all helped.

Yeah, I get it now...

It's still silly though. I got mates in Germany, they buy RIF AEGs from amazon or wherever, go to nearby forest and have fun. If too loud? Police may come and they usually say "...ahh BBgun childplay again? Just don't be too noisy, and remember - use bio bullets.. Have nice day." ... that one cracked me down.

I can't really imagine what would happen in same situation here... I know law is the law, and we must obey it, but doesn't mean we have to like it...

Sorry got carried on. Had a bit of break since my last ASG activities (before UKARA) and these new laws seem terribly silly to me. Still far too easy to get a RIF toy without any license at all, at least real enough to pose a threat in tense situations, like robbery etc. So why putting so much pressure on ASG in particular? Wanna see the shop robber planning to get himself BB M16 to be more impressive/scary during robbery :D

• Supporters

Depends on how you look at it. You say toy, I say sports equipment.

Most people are scared of guns, so its unsurpising and the laws aren't too bad, look at Portugal. Germany has annoying laws too, its not that simple.

The laws are in place for a good reason and they're pretty fair all things considered

I understand certain laws being in place due to a reason. But most countries manage without such strict regulations regarding ASG, don't they. And if ppl are scared of ghosts and zombies why won't we ban horrors.

Pellet air rifles you can buy without any license. They do far more damage, they are semi automatic nowdays, pellet CO2 pistols look exactly like genuine firearms and deal far greater damage, being easier to hide, under the coat and to operate by the crime individuals. Yet? You can have them with no probs, and much cheaper. Why picking on ASG so much, that's my point.

I understand certain laws being in place due to a reason. But most countries manage without such strict regulations regarding ASG, don't they. And if ppl are scared of ghosts and zombies why won't we ban horrors.

Pellet air rifles you can buy without any license. They do far more damage, they are semi automatic nowdays, pellet CO2 pistols look exactly like genuine firearms and deal far greater damage, being easier to hide, under the coat and to operate by the crime individuals. Yet? You can have them with no probs, and much cheaper. Why picking on ASG so much, that's my point.

its the uk when does any decision by this govenment make sense ?

also its an easy target for the govenment, its a small sport which only a minority of people in the country know about/support teh same with people who collect replicas they are the ones who lost out the most. the govenment want to look like they are doing something about gun crime but instead of actualy tackleing the problem they choose to take the easy option and just put a law in place which bans replicas. thankfully there were some people who said no and got some exceptions put in place

all imo of course..

Hmmm... sad... kinda.

I'm still very much surprised you can buy real scissors on .co.uk Ebay :D

...and this joke wouldn't be funny at all if not little episode my wife had couple weeks ago. Went to ASDA, and didn't take her driving license with her, why should she. Shop staff didn't agree to sell her scissors, as it's required to show proof of being over 18 (or 21 don't remember now)... and she doesn't even look that young really. Didn't know if to laugh or cry really... When you can still easily buy sharp swords in various shops :D

ASG laws, in the light of the actual threat the guns present to society are utter nonsense IMO. Especially comparing to laws that cover other areas related to would-be weapons. Air rifles, swords, crossbows and bows, knifes...

Will never understand it.

Sorry for being moaner and all, but this surprised me as heck, when before I've been ordering guns from abroad via mail, no problems, just little bit of reason like with everything really, was enough to go and have fun.

at the co-operative you need to look clearly over 25 to buy restricted products without ID this is in place to protect the companies licence to sell alcohol etc. not being funny but its not hard to carry a driving licence in your wallet

Archived