Best SA80

TPI
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Hi so im just wondering which SA80 is the best for out of the box performance and ease to replace broken parts IE ICS's prices to replace things that are cheap as chips if you were to use a TM compatible M4.

• Supporters

I'd put my money on the ICS.

My brother had the Ares and he traded it after one skirmish, so don't consider the Ares. The G&G and Army Armament both have a sketchy electric blowback system which they would both work better without, so I wouldn't go for them either.

I know literally nothing when it comes to parts compatibility but I think this is one of those instances where paying more will get you more and you would definitely be best off with the ICS, but let's wait and see what everyone else says.

I'll stick with my STAR (now ARES) replica, I've not had a chance to have a fondle of the WE offering...

the STAR one is 1" shorter in barrel length than the real one (easy fix) and this tosh about a polycarbonate GB is just that, seen too many "metal" ones break in ICS, G&G and ARMY, though ICS has the easier take down, the adjustable spring is a gimmick (I can do that with my Star / ARES one, its got a quick change spring system behind the butt plate).

It all depends what you want to do with it really, I'm sticking with my old skool A2, you want one of the new theater RIS'd ones, well the parts are awkward to get for any of them, as most sellers don't mention the replica its made for.

• Supporters

Yea i've been looking for replacement parts and really i cant be bothered with an SA80 mainly because of the whole battery compartment thing.

• Supporters

I was thinking of getting an ICS one recently because I wanted to kit it out with RIS, foregrip and an ACOG, but the cost of all that stuff is phenomenal. LWA sell one all done up for £600, it's crazy.

So I'm going with an M4 for now. Maybe student finance will be kind enough to grace me with enough money for an L85 around next September lol.

• Supporters

It was a piss take swapping the battery in the Ares. I don't know if any other models have made it easier in some way or another, but with the Ares, you have to unscrew the sling mount with a tool you keep in the pistol grip, once that's off you can take the handguard off, then you just have to fiddle around balancing everything in awkward positions so you can hold the gun still and manipulate the wires into a place you want them to be, it was seriously annoying and took literally 5 minutes plus.

If you had 4 arms or a butler or something then it might be easier, all I can say is thank god the battery life wasn't bad on my batteries lol.

my friend has a ics in dark sand colour.now i dont normally like the l85 but that is amazing.its the closest ive seen replica and i have had a good amount of experience with the real steel one.the ics has easy takedown and look amazing with a ras kit,foregrip,peq and susat.

Having used ICS, ARES and AA (and owned ICS and AA), I'd say ICS wins.

Not the most realistic looking, but it makes up for that by being practical - battery space, it's got a nice ROF. Taking it apart (should you wish to/need to) is easy, and (providing you don't buy cheap parts like I did with my LSW...) upgrading it is great (not that you really need to). ICS has a very nice and smooth running system.

In all fairness - ARES takes real-steel parts (should you want them, I'm not fussed) and looks great. Running it - battery changes - not fun. Taking it apart - unless they changed from the one I saw and used, it's a nightmare of screws and wires...

AA - well, it's a cheap knock-off of the G&G model. Whilst G&G used to be crap, their new stuff is better (and their after-market customer support/parts service is excellent)

Archived