batt charging

spurs 14
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

guys can you help am new to the sport and just bought first gun a king arms m4 couple questions supplied with batt and charger how long does the batt take to charge fully and how long in use would i expect to get out of it thanks guys

• AF-UK Founding Member

What is the capacity of your battery? What is the charge rate of your charger?

Battery may look something like: 1500mAh

Charger may look something like: 450mA

You can enter these values into our app to get a charge time:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk

You'll need to select the battery charge calculator ;)

How long it lasts depends on play time, and use, but if you go easy on the trigger you'd be able to make most batteries last a full day easy enough.

Quick formula for charging batteries (refers to Nicad & NimH only).

Nicad = mAh of battery (e.g. 1600mAh) x 1.4 divided by mAh of charger (e.g. 250mA) = 9 hours (actuall 8.96 hours but round to nearest)

NihM = mAh of battery (e.g. 2200mAh) x 1.5 divided by mAh of charger (e.g. 300mA) = 11 hours

For Lipo, only use a proper Lipo charger and charge until the charging light goes out. Also, always use a Lipo alarm in your gun to save over discharging the cells, as going below 3V per cell can permanently damage an expensive battery.

Sorry to thread jack, but I didn't see the need to create a new topic. What's the difference between Nicad and NihM batteries?

I just got my G&P M16A3 and put 1100mAh, 8.4v NihM battery but it doesn't work. It seems to be that the battery doesn't have enough power, but I've tried five (ranging from 7.2v to 9.6v and 1100mAh to 2200mAh) and they're all fully charged. In the manual, the suggested battery is 8.4v, 600mAh Nicad.. would it make a difference?

This was from Liam, but I logged into my brother's account by mistake.. my bad.

• Supporters

Didn't think it made a difference, and it's not the fuse as there's still power going to it.

I only got it today, only time it's been apart is when Fire Support put a new barrel in for me before they posted, so I'll take it back. Still got 6 months, minus 1 day, warranty :). They'd better sort it for Sunday though.

• Supporters

I'd try it running without the fuse first - either put something conductive in the fuse box or just touch the wires leading into/out of the fuse box whilst pulling the trigger.

If it works, either tape the ends together for the time being or leave the conductive thing in until you can get a replacement fuse.

Back to charging...

If you can change the amperage of the charger, put it on the lowest. This means the battery will take longer to charge but it will last longer before needing replacement.

Back to charging...

If you can change the amperage of the charger, put it on the lowest. This means the battery will take longer to charge but it will last longer before needing replacement.

+1 on that but if you've got large mAh batteries (e.g. 4300) they can take 48 hours or more at 120mA charge rate. Slow is good but at that rate you can forget they are connected and leave them on too long.

• AF-UK Founding Member

I have mixed feelings on that. I've found my batteries have lasted about the same however (in terms of overall life), and I haven't followed any specific rules.

I do agree partially that fast charged batteries offer more kick for that cycle, but don't last quite as long (again just for that cycle, not lifetime), and slower charged batteries last slightly longer but offer less kick. I'm not sure if it's just negligible differences on the day that has led me to agree with this or what. I'm no physics whiz so I can't say why the speed at which a battery was charged would affect the discharge in anyway, but a lot of believe this and openly state it on various forums.

Archived