After a new AEG

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

My site owners are opening a new site today that's 90 acres in size, so I think I'm going to need something with a bit more range than my MP5.

Thinking about getting an M4 or another M16, I miss my WE :( I really want to be able to reach out to at least 60 metres though, with no, or as few upgrades as possible, maybe further if people think that's possible.

But yeah, I want to hear from people with M4A1s and M16A3/4s, maybe L85A2s, I'm quite interested in the ICS one (can anyone confirm whether the DD rail fits on it?).

Or just suggest other things, I might be tempted if it sounds good.

I need the outline idea of the range and accuracy, the cost and where it can be bought. Site limit is also 370 fps not 350, so bear that in mind.

At the time being this is all hypothetical so there's no real budget limit, though I'm never going to spend more than £600 so keep suggestions under that please.

Thanks to all whom offer any input.

I would just google a few shops but I want raw opinions to base the search on. I know G&G and G&P are good but I've never used any M16 variants made by either and I'm not sure which other manufacturers are good for Armalites, so blind me with insight please.

• Supporters

You see that KWA do what i was gonna do and slap an M16 front on it and a fixed stock and thats a damn good rifle right their just get your standard 6.03 and something to do with the hop so (i cant remember so its upto marksman) or just get a G&P gearbox and follow my urban DMR build i plan on doing for youtube same name as on the Xbox.

my l85a1 by army armaments has deadly range and accuracy (15 feet short of tm m14) so if you got a higher quality l85 like ics you will have more reliability, range and accuracy. If your looking for a m16/m4 G&P and Classic army do good ones . Classic army ae very reliable but will not compare as effectively performance wise to a G&P> overall for a cheaper value (less than £250) classic army but if you have the money G&P are ideal.

• Supporters

There was a bloke at my site yesterday with a TM recoil SCAR and the range was utterly abysmal. He kept suicide charging us because it was so bad, not that he'd admit it.

But I saw him testing it at the range and it was literally dropping short at 25m absolute tops. Though he did seem to be a noob that just buys the most expensive thing ever to start with to show off (totally not what I did, but yeah...) so maybe he didn't have the hop set or something.

It looked and sounded mothereffing awesome though.

I was planning on making the M4 I have a regular A1 by just taking all the rails off but there is no standard top rail, all the rails on it are one piece, so once you've removed them you're looking into the slot that houses the charging handle and the spring that resets it once you pull it back. So without the full on rail system, there's no way to mount anything on top of the receiver and that also means you have no rear sights of any kind.

Which is why I'm actually getting rid of it, I just wanted a bog standard M4A1 but unless you want the RIS stuffs on the M4 I have, there's nothing else you can really do with it.

• Supporters

Hmm im looking at my brothers version and it appears their is a rail underneath as the rear sight wouldnt be mouned other wise try just takeing the outer barrel out so you can pull the ris off after takeing the bolts out that are on his allen key ones i imagine it comes off then but i dont know for deffo as my brother only likes me doing things to it when he is their :-(

I'm not entirely sure what the obsession with long barrels is in airsoft. Well I am of course, people still think in terms of real firearms. ;)

It has a negligible effect on your accuracy and range, compared to getting a higher-quality barrel, hop unit, and consistent air delivery from the internals.

Unless of course you just happen to 'decide' that M16's etc shoot further, in which case you're free to enjoy the illusion as much as you desire. B)

• Supporters

True but with an M16 it gets the "muzzle" closer to the target before any outside wind can catch it and blow the bb off course because lets be honest we lay brown brick heavier than BB's

• Supporters

But don't MP5s have poor hop designs, meaning an M4 or M16 would be better at range, due to hop rather than barrel length though?

• Supporters

True, and I only know what I've heard about their design.. you could make pretty much any gun shoot the same as any other gun, it's just what you like the look of and how much money you have to throw at it...

• Supporters

I think a lot of Airsofting from my experience is generally a psychological thing, if you really want your gun to be good, you can lie to yourself about it and it does make it seem better.

I loved my WE M16 until I realised gas rifles just aren't worth the effort for the performance you get from them.

And just from observing others, I know for a fact that my site's hire ICS M4s have a ton more range than my MP5, so how does that work if it's not the barrel length? My MP5s hop is very good, so I know it's nothing to do with that.

But anyway, I think I'll be going for the ICS L85 or an M4 of some description, probably KWA, G&G or G&P, so anyone got any info on those?

If I get the L85 I'll want the rails for it so does anyone know if the DD rails fit?

And just from observing others, I know for a fact that my site's hire ICS M4s have a ton more range than my MP5, so how does that work if it's not the barrel length? My MP5s hop is very good, so I know it's nothing to do with that.

This is a flawed assumption basically. Ie (truthfully!) My G3SAS's outshoot my M4's, despite them being 30-40 fps slower. This must mean the shorter barrel is responsible as the M4's have very good hop units so I know it's nothing to do with that.

This logic is clearly flawed. :P The reason my G3SAS's out shoot the M4's is the same reason that your m4's outshoot your Mp5 - They are better built and running guns.

There are so many variables that affect the performance that I couldn't begin to go into it (as I don't know them!), but things like barrel quality, hop-unit, spring/piston consistency (friction/alignment/spring/spring guide warp, seal quality etc), airtight where things should be and venting where it needs to, inner/outer barrel wobble blah blah blah... you get the idea. The quality of manufacture and the tolerences to which everything is made to dictate this, and consistency and quality is key to reducing groupings and increasing range.

The only thing barrel length does is get the pellet a few inches closer to the target before external physics kick in. The bb has no 'memory' of where it came from and is just as affected by gravity and wind as a bb fired from any other gun/barrel length. The difference with the good guns however, is that they are projecting the pellets consistently, with a much higher percetage of 'good' shots that were more optimally prepared for the effects of nature.

Waffle over! And back to the question of new guns - Pick the one that you think is the coolest! B) And preferably a Tokyo Marui. :P

• Supporters

I can't decide which is coolest! D=

L85 with rails, a grip and an ACOG in my opinion is awesome, but it'll cost a bomb to get everything. Gun is £350, rail is £135, I still don't know if the rail even fits and then there's the grip, which I know is only like, £15 if that, but yeah.

If I get an M4 I'll be able to buy one with rails and a grip and then just stick my ACOG on it, so for cost alone, I'm leaning towards an M4. It'll be at least £150 cheaper.

I don't like the idea of getting a TM, reason being I don't like plastic at all and they seem to practically bed with it they use it so much. Do they do a more realistic construction M4 that isn't a recoil shock?

Or can someone prove beyond all possible doubt that the range isn't as crap as I saw it being on Saturday? 'Cos I really would want a recoil shock if it weren't for how poor the range was on that SCAR this weekend gone.

• Supporters

I might just put it down to the guy not knowing what he was doing with it then.

I'll look into some videos and see if there's a range test anywhere.

I wouldn't mind a TM recoil if I could save up the pennies too. I like the idea of the extra realism without the hassles of gas in the winter.

Never had any first-hand experience of them though as they weren't around last time I was skirmishing, but they do look tasty from what i've seen while scooting about online. B)

• Supporters

Guess who's jealous because of it...

>:-(

Though I don't like the E.

I thought you hated G36s anyway?

• Supporters

I still stand by gas Automatic rifles being terrible in winter as my friend had one and he had it sent back 10 times because it failed to shoot at anything over 180FPS

Archived