The 'What have you just bought' Thread

Cameron364

For a vest I'd suggest just a plan olive drab so you can use it with all your loadout. my OD RAV goes with my A-TACS AU, A-TACS FG, DPM, DCU and my plain colour loadouts as well

-Snow Wolf harris bipod

-Flecktarn camouflage netting (gonna cut it up and wrap it around the barrel)

-Viper sling (Desperately needed it since the last one kept disconnecting mid-skirmish)

-11.1v 2600 mAH battery and charger for my friend's new rifle

Set for next Sunday's skirmish now. :)

• Supporters

Since my L85 unfortunately died today, sort of... The pinion gear ground itself smooth whilst the gears have no wear on them whatsoever... (so that's Systema parts 0 - ICS stock parts 1)

It also decided that it'd fire full auto on single shot, despite my best efforts to stop it. Not a lot I can really do about it either, so I'm hoping a new cut off lever will fix it, if it doesn't I'll try a new trigger box and if that doesn't work I'm going to have to get the hammers and files out or something. All sounds mad, but if you know how the fire selector, gearbox and trigger interact on an ICS L85 then I can assure you I know what I'm doing lol.

But yeah, despite the gears being fine and ICS parts seemingly being better than Systema ones, I've decided to fully upgrade the gearbox with Systema parts.

From Fire-Support:

1 X Systema PINION GEAR for Turbo and Magnum Motors - Replacing mine that died today. Think it's because it didn't quite mesh with the stock gears, so to avoid it happening again, it actually makes sense to get Systema gears to go with it.

1 X Systema Flat Gear Set I ( Torque up) for Gearbox V - I hope these are compatible. They look the same as the stock gears and aren't all V2 and 3 gears essentially the same, bar build material/quality?

1 X ICS L85/L86 spring set - Last weeks night game saw a lot of rain and the rust on my gun is clearly visible both inside and out. Makes it look awesomely weathered, truth be told, but I don't want my tappet spring to bust, or the cut off one either.

1 X ICS L85 Cut off lever - Hopefully this'll solve the 'firing in auto when on semi' issue. Fingers crossed.

1 X Prometheus Shim Set - Just because.

1 X Systema Cylinder Head v2 Gearbox - Again I hope this is compatible

1 X Systema Air Nozzle for M16A2 and M4A1 - And I hope this is compatible too...

But I guess the worst outcome is that I'll have to send some stuff back and try the V3/AK parts for compatibility and if that doesn't work the parts must be proprietary.

Either way, if it all fits, I ought to have a gearbox good for a heavier spring. So when I do get the L86 I would've bought today had it not been terrible when I tested it - as well as me needing the money to revive my baby - I'll have a noice high fps gearbox rigged up and ready for it.

• Supporters

Since my L85 unfortunately died today, sort of... The pinion gear ground itself smooth whilst the gears have no wear on them whatsoever... (so that's Systema parts 0 - ICS stock parts 1)

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say there was an ICS Turbo 3000 motor involved...? I've got one of those league tables too: Systema Parts 0* - CYMA stock parts 1, Cyma stock parts 0 - Prometheus Parts 1 (sector gears)

* Plus a red card for obstinate failure to follow the rules - no, apparently Systema V2/V3 gears are not the same as everyone else's - the bevel gear is slightly too wide.

1 X ICS L85/L86 spring set - Last weeks night game saw a lot of rain and the rust on my gun is clearly visible both inside and out. Makes it look awesomely weathered, truth be told, but I don't want my tappet spring to bust, or the cut off one either.

1 X ICS L85 Cut off lever - Hopefully this'll solve the 'firing in auto when on semi' issue. Fingers crossed.

Have you considered that a good dollop of grease may have been the solution to both these issues? I know that airsoft aficionados recommend cleaning the excess grease out of gearboxes, but, as a matter of principle, all things being equal, more grease = less friction and less corrosion.

Where did you get the 105 spring from, Dazzer?

• Supporters

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say there was an ICS Turbo 3000 motor involved...? I've got one of those league tables too: Systema Parts 0* - CYMA stock parts 1, Cyma stock parts 0 - Prometheus Parts 1 (sector gears)

Nope, Systema Magnum high torque motor's pinion gear sanded itself down to the point where it no longer worked.

ICS stock gears have barely a mark on them. But the gearbox is now full of what looks like iron filings because the angle the gears engaged at was never quite right, so that's why I've bought the gear set too, aside from that I'd like to upgrade to high torque gears anyway.

* Plus a red card for obstinate failure to follow the rules - no, apparently Systema V2/V3 gears are not the same as everyone else's - the bevel gear is slightly too wide.

Have you considered that a good dollop of grease may have been the solution to both these issues? I know that airsoft aficionados recommend cleaning the excess grease out of gearboxes, but, as a matter of principle, all things being equal, more grease = less friction and less corrosion.

That doesn't sound very promising, do you reckon the bevel won't fit then? I hope it does... Though as someone pointed out on Facebook just now, I don't have an allen key small enough to replace the pinion gear, or locktite the new one on...

As for more grease, I forget how the parts interact in a V2/3 gearbox, but in the ICS L85 'box no amount of grease is going to make the slightest bit of difference to how the cut off lever or anything work. I'll have to show you next time we get to a skirmish together, if that ever happens again haha.

• Supporters

Ah, well yeah, you'll have to show me. I've got a tiddler of an allen key you can have, but as you say, if ever we skirmish 2gez again lol - the 30th in Chesterfield is pretty much a definite for me tho - i'm using my various medical supports all the time that i should to try to make sure I'm definitely fit lol! Still, you can hardly wait that long...

• Supporters

Yeah, I'll only make it up there if I can find a lift and get my gun back up and running in time. Which I reckon is doable. Just have to wait and see how it turns out.

• Supporters

hfc-ps-hg-106-bk.jpgHFC AG. 7.65MM Pistol(Black) GNBB ~ $31.50

- it's sufficiently Pistolet Makarova-like to go with the Soviet loadout I'm putting together. There are only 2 others available - a KSA that fires @428FPS and one that is 80% RS parts and fires .177 steel BB's grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Systema Hop Bucking - $8

-$3.76 Discount + $32.41 Shipping (gulp) From UN Company (They advise EMS because of the gun-like object.)

271105775116_1.jpgVintage Soviet Russian PM Brown Leather Holster for Makarov Pistol ~ £14.99

- for the HFC pistol.

271078436700_1.jpgSoviet Mandate of a Delegate of the USSR Communist Party Conference ~ £4.95

- for the lols...?

281044099820_1.jpgSoviet Poster Fridge Magnet 7 x 5 cm Original Image from USSR Propaganda Poster ~ £5

- for more lols / last 3 £20 delivered after negotiation - fleabay.

Oh aye, and I bought 10 pre-'91 Ruble banknotes (1's, 3's, 5's. 10's & 25's) for £10 t'other day as well. All I need now is the KGB ID, a walletski and a couple of bits of detritus to put in it for the full effect :)

Burst Wizard KK Plug & Play MOSFET (King Kong) Deans ~ £31.57 Delivered (inc 5% discount for FB wall whoring) from AW

Madbull Black Python Ver 2 6.03mm TBB

• Supporters

Fire Support rang me to say that they were out of stock of the high torque gears I ordered =[

Which kinda sucks 'cos if I use the new pinion gear with my current gears I'm just going to end up sanding it into dust again, which I'd obviously rather avoid.

Still, at least it's saved me about £65 for the time being.

Edit:

Decided to get this set from Landwarrior instead:

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elandwarriorairsoft%2ecom%2facatalog%2fshop%2ehtml&WD=ultimate%20gear%20set&PN=Ultimate-Gear-Set-Helical-Ultra-Torque-Up-AS16596%2ehtml#.UUmvxFuAuFc

If I run into any compatibility issues I'm going to be so annoyed...

• Supporters

Yeah that is a ball ache, Ed. That pic on LW doesn't look like helical gears I've seen. I spose it must just be a stock 'gear pic'. Not to crow over your misfortune, but I'm pleased you've gone for helical gears. I've read conflicting reports about them being noisier or quieter than ordinary gears, so I'll get the story from someone I know isn't a dick.

I tried to get the G&P 551 w/ EOLAD Laser from Redwolf UK but they're out of stock. They're getting a couple in week on Monday...

• Supporters

Noise isn't really a major issue for me, I'd just rather opt for range and accuracy over rate of fire any day and these gears ought to give me a faster pull on heavier springs, and hopefully meet with the pinion gear better this time around. I just hope they fit...

I figure that on a lower power spring than they're intended to be used with, they ought to give me a better trigger response, so when I'm running them in my L85 I can run it as close to 368fps (on a .20, naturally) as possible with either .25s or .30s. Then once I've got the L86 I can just stick the same gearbox in that, stick a heavier spring in it and find a way to lock it to semi only for a DMR set up.

Thing is, plans of mine rarely survive their full term... We'll have to wait and see how it turns out. A small part of me is slightly worried that I'm just going to end up utterly borking my L85 with a never ending ton of parts which won't fit into it. But I guess is the worst comes to the worst, I'll just have to order a whole new gearbox and start again, that's the beauty of the ICS L85, everything gets sold as a drop in replacement.

• Supporters

L86 DMR? That's a bit strange...

U know ARRSE? Yday there was a rumour that the L1A1 might get another outing with the SAS - apparently they've ordered a load of 7.62 ammo... looking good for my black loadout if so (assuming I can get my poxy thing working again).

• Supporters

L86 DMR? That's a bit strange...

U know ARRSE? Yday there was a rumour that the L1A1 might get another outing with the SAS - apparently they've ordered a load of 7.62 ammo... looking good for my black loadout if so (assuming I can get my poxy thing working again).

The real thing was used as a marksman rifle when it was actually used. It didn't work as a squad automatic support rifle because the 30 round mags were too limiting for putting suppressive fire down, and since it was accurate out to 800m, which was further than the L85, it made sense to use it until a suitable replacement was found.

I don't think they're used in Afghanistan anymore, but they're cool as shit and I know the internals like the back of my hand, so it seems a good base gun for a DMR. I'm literally just going to put a SUSAT on it and beef up the internals.

• Supporters

Yeah, that reminds me of a clip of footage from a helmet cam from Afghanistan.

The brits were taking fire from about 300m away and this squaddie lay down to set up an L86 on bipod to return fire...

I thought then, "Where's the 'kin box mag?"

The last SUIT sight I saw on fleabay went for something like £700 - it was so expensive that I've blotted the exact figure out of my mind lol! But I've found somewhere that may be able to supply one for less than £200 though. Still, I'm seriously looking into NV gear @mo so there's no SUIT me sir on the horizon for a good long while probably.

Oh, and I couldn't resist this for £7.98 delivered:

$(KGrHqJ,!rgE-dIYuygzBPs5eOEeEQ~~60_12.J

• Supporters

Yeah, that reminds me of a clip of footage from a helmet cam from Afghanistan.

The brits were taking fire from about 300m away and this squaddie lay down to set up an L86 on bipod to return fire...

I thought then, "Where's the 'kin box mag?"

The last SUIT sight I saw on fleabay went for something like £700 - it was so expensive that I've blotted the exact figure out of my mind lol! But I've found somewhere that may be able to supply one for less than £200 though. Still, I'm seriously looking into NV gear @mo so there's no SUIT me sir on the horizon for a good long while probably.

I have a mate at Uni that recently picked up a real SUSAT for 308 squids... Might have to kill him for it...

• Supporters

It's a nice find, but I was looking at getting one of the replicas with the illuminator in it, or just looking for a real one.

Also, in those photos of it someone put it on an M4... Which ought to be impossible. And they put it on backwards! Derp!

• Supporters

Buying that PaintJob For My G19

I Bought a while ago 6 MagPul PTS E-Mag's

1 Elcan Spectre Dr Replica it's friggin Awesome If anyone know's how to tell the Brand I'll write a review once it has been skirmished!