The 'What have you just bought' Thread

Cameron364

L85....

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Once you've handled one in reality you'll realise it's not great....

I once got a blister from the pistol grip rubbing on my right hand, on the webbing between my thumb and first finger. It is NOT ergonomic at all, M4 pistol grips are lovely compared to them.

I once got a blister from the pistol grip rubbing on my right hand, on the webbing between my thumb and first finger. It is NOT ergonomic at all, M4 pistol grips are lovely compared to them.

In my opinion, bull pups are the definition of unergonomic, but this is coming from an AR-15 fanboy

In my opinion, bull pups are the definition of unergonomic, but this is coming from an AR-15 fanboy

They're nice to move about with, just the pistol grip on the L85 isn't great- if it was more ergonomic it'd be fine. The only parts of a rifle which the term 'ergonomic' apply to are the user interface i.e. furniture such as the pistol gip and handguard. Weight and such are a different matter.

And the trigger, too much play for safety imo. And fumbling for the magwell... However very easy to take apart, no idea but apparently an m4 is easier (I believe said on this forum)

They're nice to move about with, just the pistol grip on the L85 isn't great- if it was more ergonomic it'd be fine. The only parts of a rifle which the term 'ergonomic' apply to are the user interface i.e. furniture such as the pistol gip and handguard. Weight and such are a different matter.

From experience on field craft I'd rather handle a glass covered turd for an hour.

And the trigger, too much play for safety imo. And fumbling for the magwell... However very easy to take apart, no idea but apparently an m4 is easier (I believe said on this forum)

Flex the trigger has not got any thing to do with play in terms of pull as the safety button (someone correct me i'm tired) has a bar blocking full pull.

On the real L85 the trigger is 2-stage. It requires a fair amount of pressure to fire a round. As for the airsoft version- what do you expect? All airsoft guns have weak trigger pulls offering no resistance, as they are basically a switch lever. The safety catch is more secure than the swivelling type as long as you remember not to fiddle with it.

As for that, as you train with one and get used to mag changes it gets easier.

It's easier to take the bolt carrier out of the M4 as the rifle 'breaks open' like a double barrel shotgun when you remove the rear body pin, enabling you to pull the bolt carrier out with the cocking handle. The gas parts are a different matter entirely. It's much easier to take them out on an L85; you just pop the top cover open on the handguard, pull the gas piston to the back of the weapon and pull it out of the weapon on an angle away from the gas collar- the gas collar just slides off and the gas plug can be taken out by depressing a locking stud and pulling it backwards. Much simpler for what it is.

(Plus I'd rather not have to pull through the M4's gas tube to clean it)

• Supporters

The safety is a great honking bar of steel going all the way through the gun, the fact the triggers are usually a bit wobbly when hanging free doesn't matter at all. If you've taken that TMH completely down to individual component parts you'll understand why (and why it's wobbly).

Ergonomics; you get used to with enough time behind the gun, as with reloads. There's not much of a flare to the magazine housing compared to an AR but it's not an insurmountable hurdle. Fact is you get a rifle the length of a 14.5" M4 with the barrel length of a 20" M16 and the muzzle energy to go along with it, which is quite important to 5.56mm. The more you cut down that barrel, the more you hinder wounding potential down range (all based on using the exact same ball ammo of course). That's a big part of the reason the original M16s were the length they were, it worked with the applicable round. When US SF these days carry those piddly little 10.5" carbines they're basically PDWs in many cases, they use bigger stuff for the proper outdoor fighting because the range and kinetic energy those M4s put out is massively decreased.

On the real L85 the trigger is 2-stage. It requires a fair amount of pressure to fire a round. As for the airsoft version- what do you expect? All airsoft guns have weak trigger pulls offering no resistance, as they are basically a switch lever. The safety catch is more secure than the swivelling type as long as you remember not to fiddle with it.

As for that, as you train with one and get used to mag changes it gets easier.

It's easier to take the bolt carrier out of the M4 as the rifle 'breaks open' like a double barrel shotgun when you remove the rear body pin, enabling you to pull the bolt carrier out with the cocking handle. The gas parts are a different matter entirely. It's much easier to take them out on an L85; you just pop the top cover open on the handguard, pull the gas piston to the back of the weapon and pull it out of the weapon on an angle away from the gas collar- the gas collar just slides off and the gas plug can be taken out by depressing a locking stud and pulling it backwards. Much simpler for what it is.

(Plus I'd rather not have to pull through the M4's gas tube to clean it)

Yea, sorry wasn't clear. I meant the safety could be a bit weird and the trigger I'm not a fan of, just what I think. Yeah, the magwell I'm getting used to...

It is, i have used for weeks at a time (exercises and operations in cadets nothing special!). Amazing rifle. Everyone at me section says its amazing guess its just not for everyone!

It is, i have used for weeks at a time (exercises and operations in cadets nothing special!). Amazing rifle. Everyone at me section says its amazing guess its just not for everyone!

"Weeks at a time......nothing special"

WhuuuuUUTTTTT????????

Not specialz???

Dat ultra specalzzzz!!!!

"Weeks at a time......nothing special"

WhuuuuUUTTTTT????????

Not specialz???

Dat ultra specalzzzz!!!!

Not really. The L85's nothing fancy, it's like the AK of the Western world.....I'd like to handle AUGs or G36s, the G36 is a lot better quality.

Not really. The L85's nothing fancy, it's like the AK of the Western world.....I'd like to handle AUGs or G36s, the G36 is a lot better quality.

I tink she's a beauty.......but not a touch on a short magazine lee Enfield, sten mkii or a Bren! :P

I tink she's a beauty.......but not a touch on a short magazine lee Enfield, sten mkii or a Bren! :P

The Bren and Sten look horrible because they were produced so cheaply......the No4 Enfield is the nicest looking out of the 3 although the L42 sniper's variant looks very nice IMO.

The Bren and Sten look horrible because they were produced so cheaply......the No4 Enfield is the nicest looking out of the 3 although the L42 sniper's variant looks very nice IMO.

Its personnel opinion i guess......

The Brens still ma baby!

:P

Its personnel opinion i guess......

The Brens still ma baby!

:P

Had a deactivated MK2 Bren and MK5 Sten back in the 90s. The Bren is a heavy beast. MK5 Sten am bestest luking one IMO, nice wooden stock and pistol grip (mine was 1949 dated iirc without the front detachable wood grip), wish I still had them!

Had a deactivated MK2 Bren and MK5 Sten back in the 90s. The Bren is a heavy beast. MK5 Sten am bestest luking one IMO, nice wooden stock and pistol grip (mine was 1949 dated iirc without the front detachable wood grip), wish I still had them!

Went to an awesome museum where there was a bloke talking about all the guns (he had them there in the metal!!) . Angry birds must have been more interesting for a bunch of other kids so I was there on me tod, and he let me touch and hold and dry fire them all!!!!!

I was soooo happy! They were the Mp40, Thompson smg, lee Enfield short magazine, sten and the Bren...

Sooo happy!!

Went to an awesome museum where there was a bloke talking about all the guns (he had them there in the metal!!) . Angry birds must have been more interesting for a bunch of other kids so I was there on me tod, and he let me touch and hold and dry fire them all!!!!!

I was soooo happy! They were the Mp40, Thompson smg, lee Enfield short magazine, sten and the Bren...

Sooo happy!!

Good stuff! A museum that lets you hold their prized exhibits, kudos to them!

Been putting the finishing articles into my Woodland Vegetato loadout, this months purchases have been:-

Woodland Vegetato Plate Carrier, all the way from Austria in less than 4 days! & a Viper Assault helmet in green. Just waiting on the green goggles and then my load out is fully complete!

post-9923-0-03214000-1415633563_thumb.jpg

post-9923-0-05287900-1415633567_thumb.jpg

Been putting the finishing articles into my Woodland Vegetato loadout, this months purchases have been:-

Woodland Vegetato Plate Carrier, all the way from Austria in less than 4 days! & a Viper Assault helmet in green. Just waiting on the green goggles and then my load out is fully complete!

Very nice! :wub: Looks awesome mate ^_^