The 'What have you just bought' Thread

Cameron364

Just bought a bunch of stuff for the Mobile Infantry load out I'm making, sew on unit patches, a grey jacket to convert into the MI combat jacket, etc.

keep us updated on that, depended on how much it cost you, I might have a go.

keep us updated on that, depended on how much it cost you, I might have a go.

Not going to cost that much to be honest, although it does require me to make the chest armour and the M3 tactical helmet, which is in progress (I'll post some pics when I've got something worth seeing).

The helmet and armour are being made from craft foam (20 quid off ebay inc p&p) with some web belts and bits of trim added to them, then there is a drop leg holster attached to the armour (we don't see the pistol much in the movie, so I guess anything which fits my drop-leg holster goes).

The MI uniform clothing is pretty basic, it's just a grey short zip-fronted jacket (8 quid off ebay inc p&p) with some black trim added to the collar and sides and some elbow patches in tan added to it, then three unit patches (which I got off ebay for 13 quid inc p&p) sewn onto it and black epaulettes. Under that is a black t-shirt and a black neck gorget. The pants are just plain grey ones with some black trim added along the inside leg (not got those yet, but I expect they'll be about ten quid).

The original movie prop boots were in fact just trainers modified with the addition of higher ankle support plus a few velcro straps added, so some lightweight modern US combat boots can easily be modified to look like those. The Mobile Infantry's rifle is the (fictional) bullpup configuration Morita Assault Rifle, which (depending on which soldier was wielding it), is either a full-length Mk1 rifle with an underslung pump action, or a shorter Mk1 carbine version, or a scoped sniper version of the standard rifle, all of which are seen in the movie. Since the Morita is (like the movie itself) a bit of a parody of the rather politically incorrect fascist overtones in the Heinlein novel, it's somewhat comedically over-large (also because it was in reality a fibreglass shell which had a Ruger Mini 14 concealed inside it for the shots in the movie where the Morita was required to actually fire).

In practical terms, I would like the load out to actually be usable, so I'm going to make the less stupidly big carbine version of the Morita (which also means I don't have to add the grenade launcher). Looking about for a suitable rifle to modify, I was first considering the recently-made fictional UAR airsoft AEG or perhaps an L85, but I've decided to use the Foreign Legion version of the FAMAS, which is already very close in appearance to the carbine Morita, so it should be a fairly easy transformation to make it look like a Morita without messing about with its functionality.

Morita Carbine:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/f/fb/HEROCarbine1.JPG

FAMAS Carbine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAMAS#mediaviewer/File:FAMAS_F1_with_bayonet.jpg

• Supporters

^^Which is a laudable project and i wish you all the best, but airsoft FAMAS's aren't known for reliability or for the kind of spare parts availability that you'd want in a project gun. I'm wondering if a Type 97 might not be a better starting place? At least you know it will be bomb proof...

TAG Innovation Gas Shell launcher (x2)

TAG Innovation Reaper Explosive Projectile (x10)

S-Thunder Co2 Adapter - with meter

S-Thunder Dual Cartridge Co2 Cylinder

S-Thunder Composite Grenade Launcher - Short

Not going to cost that much to be honest, although it does require me to make the chest armour and the M3 tactical helmet, which is in progress (I'll post some pics when I've got something worth seeing).

The helmet and armour are being made from craft foam (20 quid off ebay inc p&p) with some web belts and bits of trim added to them, then there is a drop leg holster attached to the armour (we don't see the pistol much in the movie, so I guess anything which fits my drop-leg holster goes).

The MI uniform clothing is pretty basic, it's just a grey short zip-fronted jacket (8 quid off ebay inc p&p) with some black trim added to the collar and sides and some elbow patches in tan added to it, then three unit patches (which I got off ebay for 13 quid inc p&p) sewn onto it and black epaulettes. Under that is a black t-shirt and a black neck gorget. The pants are just plain grey ones with some black trim added along the inside leg (not got those yet, but I expect they'll be about ten quid).

The original movie prop boots were in fact just trainers modified with the addition of higher ankle support plus a few velcro straps added, so some lightweight modern US combat boots can easily be modified to look like those. The Mobile Infantry's rifle is the (fictional) bullpup configuration Morita Assault Rifle, which (depending on which soldier was wielding it), is either a full-length Mk1 rifle with an underslung pump action, or a shorter Mk1 carbine version, or a scoped sniper version of the standard rifle, all of which are seen in the movie. Since the Morita is (like the movie itself) a bit of a parody of the rather politically incorrect fascist overtones in the Heinlein novel, it's somewhat comedically over-large (also because it was in reality a fibreglass shell which had a Ruger Mini 14 concealed inside it for the shots in the movie where the Morita was required to actually fire).

In practical terms, I would like the load out to actually be usable, so I'm going to make the less stupidly big carbine version of the Morita (which also means I don't have to add the grenade launcher). Looking about for a suitable rifle to modify, I was first considering the recently-made fictional UAR airsoft AEG or perhaps an L85, but I've decided to use the Foreign Legion version of the FAMAS, which is already very close in appearance to the carbine Morita, so it should be a fairly easy transformation to make it look like a Morita without messing about with its functionality.

Morita Carbine:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/f/fb/HEROCarbine1.JPG

FAMAS Carbine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAMAS#mediaviewer/File:FAMAS_F1_with_bayonet.jpg

you might want to have a look at these guys for accuracy sake (and maybe save up for the helmet) http://chaucer44.squarespace.com/starship-troopes-morita/, and I know somebody did rubber mag covers which would increase the look of the gun tenfold.

^^Which is a laudable project and i wish you all the best, but airsoft FAMAS's aren't known for reliability or for the kind of spare parts availability that you'd want in a project gun. I'm wondering if a Type 97 might not be a better starting place? At least you know it will be bomb proof...

every other FAMAS, I'd agree, but the TM is literally indestructible (very creaky though) remember reading somewhere that TM over reinforced everything because it was their first production rifle.

the Type 97, I agree might actually be a better starting rifle, the mag is more accurate, and the gun itself is a more modern design. but you will need to do more external modification work, with the FAMAS all you literally need is the M60 flashhider, the funky forehand furniture, and the mag cover.

Hey guys i am back :D

so what have i recently bought..... loads of stuff ... but recentest

ASK MK23 SOCOM (that's right i have finally bought myself a gas gun, it wont be replacing my work horse CYMA G18c AEP, this is just for a little project ... and it was cheap :lol: )

i'm guessing you mean the ASG version. If so could you update us on this, a mate is looking to get one, and there seem to be no reviews on it

welcome back btw and thanks :D

you might want to have a look at these guys for accuracy sake (and maybe save up for the helmet) http://chaucer44.squarespace.com/starship-troopes-morita/,

Yeah, I considered that one, however, it's not the cost which made me chose not to go for that; since I work in post production and have made props in the past, I reckon I can make one for less that will look okay, especially since I'm making one from accurate drawings, which I have scaled up slightly. More to the point decision-wise however, although the one you linked to is molded from a genuine movie prop (I think a B stock one), it appears to have picked up some warping during the copying process from what I can see (not an uncommon occurrence when molding copies as anyone who has ever made a kit car AC Cobra will know). Another factor is that I know the movie ones are a touch on the small side for my big head lol. Besides which, making stuff is half the fun! Guess we'll see.

I've bought myself a Cold Steel Training Gladius - as we're allowed them to "tag" people who are too close. In my eyes a Gladius is better than a knife! Although the hand and a half sword is also tempting me....

Almost bought the same thing before nabbing a Karambit instead. I was thinking of using a Cold Steel Bokken with a loadout, so if I run out of ammo I can just banzai charge. Could put it with a riot shield, actually...

And to stay on topic, I bought a torch and mount of eBay for 15 quid, and have a tac vest on the way that I got for about 30 quid on Amazon. Here's the torch, will post pics of vest when it arrives:

10724146_826979510656730_1644357837_n.jp

• Supporters

£15 for a simple low profile torch mount? What's it made from, a bronze cast of Michaelangelo's David's foreskin?

• Supporters

• Supporters

i'm guessing you mean the ASG version. If so could you update us on this, a mate is looking to get one, and there seem to be no reviews on it

welcome back btw and thanks :D

yep i did mean ASG :lol: ill do an unboxing review and expand it when i skirmish it ;)

NCS 2.5x30 Scope with mounting rings.

Bottle of 1200 ZeroOne 0.4g BBs.

Czech skorpion holster and ammo pouch.

Scope because a lucky ricochet took out my current one last game I was at. The BBs because I'm trying a new brand to try and save money (sniper ammo isn't cheap after all). The holster and ammo pouch because my current one looks out of place on my Russian themed sniper loadout, this is also big enough for my ASG MK23 (main sidearm).

• Supporters

The holster and ammo pouch because my current one looks out of place on my Russian themed sniper loadout, this is also big enough for my ASG MK23 (main sidearm).

I had the same idea. To make them go with my Soviet portupeya, Y strap and belt harness stylee an ting, I used dark brown Dylon leather dye and put a slit in the side of the holster to allow for use with a mag attached (as the Czech police carried them with a short mag fitted) - I then added a leather strap and stud salvaged from a knackered old AK-47 mag pouch for additional security (it comes apart easily when I draw, but not by jiggling).

7896.jpg

Seen it before, still looks great though Ian. I'm going to wait to see what shade I get sent before I start buying dye, but I may end up doing the same.

• Supporters

Firefly bucking

From eagle6?

• Supporters

Nah, ebay.

Just searched = no joy. Can i get a linky pls?

TAG Innovation Gas Shell launcher (x2)

TAG Innovation Reaper Explosive Projectile (x10)

S-Thunder Co2 Adapter - with meter

S-Thunder Dual Cartridge Co2 Cylinder

S-Thunder Composite Grenade Launcher - Short

Let me know how you get on with the S-Thunder launcher, I've been debating buying it as a backup weapon for a while now

• Supporters

Nothing wrong with eagle6 that i know of, but not exactly cheap (not extortionate either mind). I just wanted to know if anybody else in the UK was stocking them, so i could compare prices.