The 'What have you just bought' Thread

Cameron364

• Supporters

Thought the exact same when I got my TLR-1 a few years ago, the difference in the output and the unit itself is astronomical. It's not like it's even a budget thing, with the amount I wasted on Element stuff that literally fell apart all by itself without any external input, I could've bought another real light.

Latest purchase:

A 16mm+ to 14mm- thread converter for the mk23 I'm building up.

Some 144a gas for aforementioned pistol.

Looking to get a holster and scope mount for it in the near future as I'm building it into a pistol I can run reliably as a primary.

• Supporters

Sooo....been buying stuffs

FAB Defense 1911 grips

Condor Gen 2 battle belt in CT (which I may have already mentioned but it took forever to get here from the US)

WAS large torch/suppressor pouch (which despite being from the same supplier is a completely different colour from all my other WAS stuff - more brown than tan)

Set of MOE rails for my M4 handguard

SHS delayer chip and shim set (again for the M4 - proving that no matter how much you try you can't quite seem to improve on a TM gearbox)

• Supporters

The thing with Marui gearboxes is that you're not supposed to do anything to them.

Oh....NOW you tell me!

• Supporters

Except maybe a steel pinion gear so you can put a stronger spring in.

I have an M95 in my M4 (CQB innit).

So far it's had SHS helical gears (which came out again when I realised I am NOT a shimming ninja), SHS piston head, SHS nozzle, Kanzen 6mm bearings and will soon have the aforementioned delayer chip and a Lonex 14 tooth piston (the one with the second tooth already removed) plus (if it ever gets here) an Airlab sorbo pad to sort out the AoE and stuffs.

It all started because it was shooting at around 220FPS and getting about 15m range regardless of the hop setup. The gun was cheap second hand and is no longer my primary (that honour goes to a G&G SCAR-L) so I decided to use it to learn how it all works (or more often doesn't). It's been educational. And expensive.

mk4 MTP OSPREY 200/124
ADMIN PANEL
2 8 ROUNG UGL POUCHES
3L CAMELBAK
2 PISTOL MAG POUCHES
LEFT LEG DROP HOULSTER IN MTP
MTP CAP

cost a small fortune to get it the way i want but when its here and set up and in use it will be all worth it

TMs already have steel pinions,and pretty decent ones at that. Standard sintered+machined pinion,just as strong as any old stock pinion.

Thing is on TMs is that once you upgrade,you have to upgrade nearly everything and do it very well.

Once you replace the zinc sector gear you have to replace the other gears since the steel sector will chew the weaker steel gears up. Then you need to replace the piston since it's ABS and will get wrecked by the steel sector.And you have to do a good job at all that since TM gearboxes have very small margins allowing for error. One cockup and the whole thing grenades itself bit by bit so you have to replace any parts than can be a source of failure and tune everything correctly.

That said not all TM parts are bad. Tappet plates are fine,cylinder,cylinder head and nozzle a good quality and seal well,hop up units are well made and Pistol grips give the best motor alignment. ZCI and TM pistol grips are the top choices for 'silent' gearbox build where perfect motor alignment is needed. I've found lots of pistol grips are cast shodilly so the motor alignment is off giving an irremovable screech.

TM seem to have improved the quality of the gear sets & pistons on recoil shock guns. The sector is still pot metal and does like to be chewed up under heavy stress but the spur and bevel are partly machined sintered carbon steel which is pretty good,they like to mesh well with other gear sets too. The pistons are much much stronger,and will not fail unless you jam in a very strong spring (m120+ above) or really cock up AOE correction.

*pic*

Seriously bright. Like seeing stars can disorient people bright.

Won't ever buy another china clone torch again, the difference in light output is (LOLOL) night and day.

my proper 640lum torch is brighter than my china 1000+lum torch

• Supporters

Indeed, the Chinese lie! They may be using LEDs capable of 1000 lumens but the rest of it clearly isn't stacking up in most cases.

Lesson learned for me, will be sticking with genuine surefire where I can from now.

IMG_7197.jpg

Seriously bright. Like seeing stars can disorient people bright.

Won't ever buy another china clone torch again, the difference in light output is (LOLOL) night and day.

Got to ask - is the front plastic plate stronger than on the Chinese clones or is it just as likely to be shot out ? I've been half tempted to splash out but at the same time scared that the first time I use one I'll be after a replacement piece of plastic (as happened on my cheap ASG clone)

• Supporters

The front face on a real surefire is tougher than a chinese plastic one, but it can still be shot out.

tactical optician ( http://www.tacticaloptician.co.uk/?Store ) does protective lenses that you can fit to the front and will also fit replacement lenses to surefire torches if they've already been shot.

• Supporters

Depends on how you define overpriced I guess, I didn't pay full retail price for the torch and there's NOTHING on the market which is anywhere near as bright that I can also fit onto the rail of a glock pistol.

Expensive yes, best in class yes.

• Supporters

Overpriced from a hobbyist perspective maybe, but they're not aimed at airsofters it just happens that some airsofters like to use real-world kit. As evidenced above it's not like you even need to pay retail price, I paid less than 50% of the MSRP for all 4 of my SF lights, which if anything makes them underpriced for the quality quite frankly.

Overpriced from a hobbyist perspective maybe, but they're not aimed at airsofters it just happens that some airsofters like to use real-world kit. As evidenced above it's not like you even need to pay retail price, I paid less than 50% of the MSRP for all 4 of my SF lights, which if anything makes them underpriced for the quality quite frankly.

Willing to say where you got yours from, or was it just good sales shopping ?

• Supporters

No secret, just eBay. But it was American eBay on a couple of them which I sent to a mate there and he shipped, which works out a lot cheaper for various reasons.

Between eBaying and lots of time looking on forum classifieds, combined with the patience necessary to wait for what you're after to pop up, you can save yourself a fortune. Still buy most stuff from retailers but when it comes to the really pricey gear like RS lights, optics, high end jackets etc you're much more likely to see the stuff you want come up for sale second hand, very often never/barely used. It's the expensive stuff that people are more likely to put the time and effort in to selling on because they can then free-up the funds in that item when needed and it's more 'worth' their time as it were writing up the ads and sales thread. If you wear a Large or XL in jackets for example you can deck yourself out thoroughly in Arc'teryx for not much more than 5.11 or even Helikon prices, there's tons of that stuff on the bay.

After going to a few skirmishes and getting my ukara finally I've put my hand in my picket the last 3 days and purchases are as follows:

G&G cm 16

Dboys m16

4 lipo's & charger

Afg

2x mtp trousers

2x mtp ubac

2x mtp viper boots

2x plate carrier + pouches

2x mtp smock

2x face mask & goggles & gloves

I just need 2x pistols and a couple of radios and I'm done for a bit