Bar work!

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As most people here probably know, I'm one of those drunk and belligerent "student" things. As such, I have spent almost all my money on booze and women.

I've assessed my situation and given that the only time I need to be free is the weekend (airsoc, girlfriend, weekly shopping trip etc), my best bet is bar work, or something similar. I like pubs, I like meeting people, I know EVERYTHING about being drunk and belligerent, which I feel gives me a unique edge, but then it hit me. I have no idea what I'd be doing or what I should really be displaying to people on my CV to make me look employable doing this sort of stuff.

I've also got no idea how to approach pubs etc, I mean, most of them in Coventry aren't chain-pubs, they're little local ones and stuff, so what do we reckon is the best approach?

AFUK! Help me procure a job so that my tyrannical reign of drunken, debaucherous lechery may continue!

Any advice muchly appreciated! This thread will also prove useful to anyone who may well become a student at some point in their life "if you know how to change a keg you've got a job for life" is what my uncle used to say!

Cheers,

Tom.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Going into the pubs and asking if they have any bar work going will be your best bet. If you have no experience of working behind the bar then you may find it difficult. Only the chain ones will do applications online and that.

Practice pouring drinks from cans or bottles into glasses without making too many bubbles?

Any experience with handling money, dealing with people would help i guess?

Any friends that you have that work in bars, pubs and clubs could put in a good word.

Aside from that lot, not too sure, never tried.

• Supporters

According to the witch across the hall down the stairs and in the kitchen you need to

1. Go ask if you could do a couple weeks unpaid work

2. When on your last day ask for a permanent paying job (Part time)

3. Spend all your time their doing work an stuff.

4. Ask for a permannent full time job

5. Call me on here and drop me a Tenner!

• Supporters
It does help if you have a good rack on you. Pub people tend to 'look nice' if that makes sense.

alternatively, they are good to talk to.

So if you aim for the latter, be confident, talkative and friendly.

and remember, not everywhere has free jobs at this point in time.

Do hench moobs count?

I appreciate that the economy is pretty rubbish atm, I'm kind of hoping to get in with one of the local places that does xmas day meals as they always seem to take on seasonal staff!

I've got plenty of money handling experience and such, it's just nothing behind a bar, it's always been retail or something similar.

Thanks for the advice though folks! Unpaid seems like a good start; even if it doesn't lead straight into a paid job, it does mean I'll be getting some experience. The Grange have a bar, might ask there, I'm sure they'd let me do something for them on occasions as a starting point.

good luck mate (that's honest not sarcastic) i used to have a shift at my local on sats and they were so inundated with helpers that they had 20 people as a just in case for me, and now it's getting more busy they've got their daughter to cover me (sats used to have the more undesirable people their, i was the only muscle short of the owner). don't bother with unpaid they'll take and when you ask for paid they'll say no.

only recommendation from me is ask for an application form from your nearest tesco's (plural) and put down twilight re-stocker, pretty easy work and relatively well paid, plus nine times out of ten they don't have enough workers.

I would second the above. Get a couple of shifts as a shelf stacker in the evenings. Pays not that bad, as a student you will be used to late nights and lie ins anyway ;)

• Supporters

Lie ins? What are those? ;)

I was up by 11am this morning thank you!

Gonna nip to Morrisons later and pick up an application form, we've got a few places on the retail park they're on, will ask at all of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Little update on this guys! Got myself an interview at a local Harvester which is opening up next month!

At the moment I'm down as wanting kitchen work (which I do, I'd like to "part time train" to be a Commis Chef, alongside my degree, just incase), but I'm going to tell them at the interview that whilst it wouldn't be my preference, I'd take bar work.

Anyone got any advice for my interview?

They've said casual-wear to the interview, so I was thinking some dark jeans and a shirt, pressed, with a decent pair of shoes? Not exactly casual, but I figure, being as I'm going for a kitchen job I need to look like I can maintain good hygiene and cleanliness etc from the off.

Only ever had one job interview before - sports direct, which was as simple as me telling my now-manager what I didn't know about sports direct (everything) and him just going "well, you're the only honest person I've seen all day, which is a great start" and me getting a job off of that...So any and all advice welcome :D And if I get the job, and any of you come Coventry, I'll make sure that you get a pint :P

• AF-UK Founding Member

Act positive, don't assume they will know things so give full answers, have some questions which prove you know something about them, read their website in what they look for. You just have to try and emulate that as much as possible, preferably with good examples of when you've done it before. Try to remember all these examples because saying I learnt x when I did y, and I have experience of a from doing b, sounds a lot better than the tosh other candidates will come out with. It doesn't have to be directly related to kitchen/bar work, skills are transferable, especially if you learnt them in a tougher environment.

Personally I'd be tempted to go formal, it sets you apart from the others who just go along with the smart casual because they couldn't be bothered with the effort.

Good luck.

Archived