Anyone into astronomy??

robharris21
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

just wondering if anyone's in astronomy, yano telescopes etc etc...

I've always been interested and finally decided to venture further that the tv programmes :rolleyes: and buy a telescope.

now, its a completely new field of things for me with the different lenses, types of telescope and all the other bits and bobs you can buy for them. Im just wandering if there is anyone out there who does have this as a hobby,

what telescope did you start of with? and what other gear is useful.

cheers,

rob

I'd recommend a good beginners book followed by a trip to a dark field for some work with the mark one eye ball before buying any optics.learning your way around the sky that way is the best way too start and you will see a surprising amount if you find a spot with minimal light pollution.

Yes i've been using google sky maps for a while which i find is really handy if theres something you dont know the name of and also handy for learning the constellations...

there are plenty of truely dark places where i live at night and often go for walks etc to have a look at the stars.

just wandering what you would consider a good allround starter scope?

• Supporters

My dad's got about £25,000 worth of astronomy gear; I'll ask him for a recommendation when I speak to him tomorrow.

I know he reads the "Sky At Night" magazine a lot - I've had a flick through a few times, it tends to be more focused at those that know what they're doing but I'm sure their website may be of help to you.

The other thing I'd recommend is to buy a kids' astronomy book, something by Dorling Kindersley or similar; yes they're designed to explain to children, but I often find that if I'm launching into a new experience, getting the children's perspective is the best start; for a start you can't exactly go wrong if it's explained in childrens' terms and secondly it's likely to rely on fairly cheap methods initially instead of all that fancy gear.

• 2 months later...

dunno if anyone cares.... but i did eventually get a telescope, heres a quick pic i took threw the eyepiece on my phone. seems liek the sky hasnt been clear for years down here!!

this is the original

2012-01-02_1619331.jpg

and this is after some editing to get it right. (no its not cheating!! :P )

moodedit2.jpg

haha yes it does slightly.

I brought a skywatcher 130pm for i think about 180pounds from amazon. I also brought a 2x barlow but i didnt use that in this photo.

and i used my samsung galaxy s2, which is a b*st*rd to align with the eyepiece -.-

cheers

• Supporters
Couldn't help but notice that the moon looks ATACS-y in that picture.

Really cracking photo, how much did you spend on the telescope and what phone was it taken with?

ATACS = the US Military's new top secret moon-cam, designed exclusively for use when Russia and China invade the moon after forming a single unified Euro-Asian government. You saw it here first people.

Looking good though!

Looks good. What can we expect next?

well i had tried taking pictures of Jupiter but without the proper camera mount its impossible to do so. The fact that the wind where i live is about 4685247652374mph every damn day of my life makes capturing anything a challenge! But do not fret, the wind will slow eventually ( and also the neighbours WILL TURN OFF THE SECURITY LIGHT!) for me to get some more pics :P

cheers,

rob

• Supporters

My advice Rob, would be to get yourself a portable power pack and take yourself out into the countryside a bit; even without that security light you might find that the background light messes with a camera sensor. My father is always grumbling because the background light pollution messes with his astronomy - he just finds fields or allotments in-between villages and sets up there to sort it.

Provided you're not being destructive, don't force entry and act responsibly, I doubt any farmer is likely to take offense, unless they're a total willy.

My advice Rob, would be to get yourself a portable power pack and take yourself out into the countryside a bit; even without that security light you might find that the background light messes with a camera sensor. My father is always grumbling because the background light pollution messes with his astronomy - he just finds fields or allotments in-between villages and sets up there to sort it.

Provided you're not being destructive, don't force entry and act responsibly, I doubt any farmer is likely to take offense, unless they're a total willy.

yes mate, there are some good dark-places on portland which would be suitable for astronomy, i have seen people with telescopes in some places before. Lugging it down it the only problem! Portland bill is pretty much pitch black on a clear night with the only other light coming from the moon, i hope to go down there when the weather clears abit but for now, i dont think i'll risk the gale force winds and high seas!! ;)

Archived