M249 for MilSim?

Tristan Orr
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well, Im looking at getting a new gun, due to the fact I still need to get rid of my G&G. The only issue I have it that I dunno what to get, I would like a M249 and would happily get a G&P one, but Im a milsim player and Im not sure I would be allowed to use it with its massive 3000rd Box Mag, does anyone know of a Box Mag that its a Real-cap mag or 100-200rd?

Its either that or a M4 most likely a systema :P

does any one know how many rounds a real M249 holds? I tried looking but given up lol. I would hope so as well.

The m246 takes standard stanag mags so why not just use mid/low cap m4 mags?

I would but it doesn't work with milsim the gun need to function and look at real as possible. Also a real M249 hold 200rd's

Take a normal box mag, the big ones, a second hand one, try to get the mechanism out of it, and get some camo cloth and fit it into there, to avoid you over loading it, buy a bullet belt to take up half of the space or something, its a very stupid idea like most of mine, but it could actually work and be the first of my ideas that does work.....

• Supporters
does any one know how many rounds a real M249 holds? I tried looking but given up lol. I would hope so as well.

Real size ammo boxes carry a 200 round belt, but there are smaller boxes that carry 100, but as people have mentioned, they can also accept standard M4 STANAG mags, though I'm not sure if they can in airsoft.

Plus, what's the point forking out for an LMG if you're going to use a 30 round mag to feed it? =\

Just putting 200 shots into a hi cap box would be the easiest thing.

the A+K M249 can take stanags

disguise a stanag hi cap (300rounds) as a box mag :P

Regards to using an M249 with 3K drum mag - all the milsims I've played have the rule - you can have the big box/drum hicap, regardless of what how many rounds. BUT - you're only allowed that one box. And one resupply throughout the entire day. No spare ammo on you during the day. (That said, you'd have to be a real idiot to get through more than 3K rounds in a milsim let alone 3...)

Why? For practical reasons. Not every make of support/LMG in airsoft has low/mid/real cap magazines avaliable (e.g the Star M249 had the STANAG slot - but it wasn't real, the Echo M249 simply doesn't have R/L/M mags unless you make them by hand, yadda yadda...) That, and they want support weapons to have suppressive fire.

Archived