UGH! Parents!

The Artful Dodger
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm sorry, what?

From what I can make of your post, you dad thinks airsofting is childish.

Show him youtube videos etc, even go as far as taking him along to a local skirmish. He'll come round eventually.

also, explain the power difference involved with the toy guns and some of the higher end snipers.

yea he does. he wont go lmao, but its clearly not childish, if i shot my next door nieghbour (the child) theyd like die or summet XD. he also said its a waste of money, but i used to do warhammer, i paid like 50 quid for one model and never used it, but he doesnt think thats a waste. hes actually an idiot.

sorry about the grammer thing. and i played lord of the rings warhammer, the model was an mummak, and i know i told him that, but have you ever tried argueing with parents? you can win, i said that you have to be 18 to purchase one and won me the arguement, so he said that i had too much lip :S and started a whole new arguement about my attitude -.-

My dad was in the army so he wanted to do it him self when i showed him some youtbe vids!

Me mum wasnt to pleased though

Well it dosnt help when i came bk from my first walk on with a bleeding ear! lol

Hmmm, my problem was that my mother was severely opposed to having a "gun" in the house, so now I have 3 in the garage with 2 more on the way :)

How old are you by chance because that may have some influence over what they think.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mum and dad are with me starting this.

If your mate has one, why not take to your house show it to your dad and maybe even go somewhere and shot it with him.

If it doesnt work id reckon he is jus worked about you doing it :L

My mum was never very keen on me having a replica sword never mind guns in the house. When I decided to start airsoft I sat my mum down and explained to her what skirmishing was all about. Reassured her that the guns could never be altered to fire anything other than bbs, or that they could really hurt anyone as long as proper safety precautions are followed. I’m sure that if you explained to your dad in a mature way of all the positive aspects airsoft has to offer he would come around. For example the social aspect of meeting new people and running around a wood all day is a good way to take exercise. I can see why people would have a problem, but they are usually ill informed morons who jump on the negative publicity that guns (even airsoft weapons) produce. Its a fun hobby and even better than warhammer! Hope this helps a little

• 1 month later...
ive told my dad im starting airsofting and he like i thought you got past things like that when you was ten, how can i get him too see its not childish? does anyone else get the same problem or is it just my parents lol.

well i have the same problem, I have taken my dad airsofting and he really liked it! iv previously wanted an airsoft gun and my mum had said no that it was complietly out of the question. then what i did is i tried to persuade my dad he kinda thought about it and we looked at a few guns for about 5 mins then he said "why waste all your money on a toy gun!" what the f$%! i mean you could literly kill or seriously hurt someone if you were using A sniper rifle at close range! then i tried to persuade my mum, i carefully said that i would ike to own my own "equipment" carefully making sure not to say gun to much as that might put her off. i gave her many reasons why and i think she was very very close to saying maybye. so if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it i someone could show me how to persuade reluctnt parents!

• AF-UK Founding Member

As above, get them both down to a game site and let them talk to the marshals etc and the game organisers. Have them watch and you can rent and play for the day. If they see that everything goes smoothly I don't see why they would continue to say no.

I recently bought a house with my girfriend and had my gun lying out in the spare room. She got her knickers in a twist about it lying around "Incase her Mum or Dad saw it when they came round" !!!

After having the "It's not bloody real!" conversation with her it still did no good. Although she levelled with me eventually, she maintained her parents wouldn't see it from my point of view! So proof there that it doesn't matter how old you are! I'm nearly 25!

I had a few problems with my parents. My mum still isn't overly happy with it. (Although neither of them are overly impressed by the way my L85 has constantly broken or died...)

But - yet another solution.

X-station-3-play360-box or whatever they are - cost about £150-400.

Airsoft guns - cost about £120 to £500.

A games console costs about the same as an airsoft gun. But - an airsoft gun, takes you out into the wide outdoors and fresh air (usually) and helps you improve minor technical skills. A games console, does not. You sit, for hours on end, in a small, dark room. No exercise.

Therefore - airsoft = good sport! :lol:

It worked for me!

• Supporters

however, airsoft costs you £20-30 (walk on % BB's) every 2 weeks, and dont forget mags and gas aswell :lol:

oh and when the time arises where you really like the look at that new gun :P

My Wife doesnt like me having guns in the house, even more now we have a little one, so i have compramised and locked them in a cabinet so there safe, but i think ur dad is jut looking out for what he thinks is best for you.

however, airsoft costs you £20-30 (walk on % BB's) every 2 weeks, and dont forget mags and gas aswell :lol:

oh and when the time arises where you really like the look at that new gun :P

Shhhhh you are undermining the argument. My mother came into my room the other day to find me with 3 guns on the floor as I was cleaning them, barely even dropped a word so I am guessing she is now ok with them. Parents (unless they are the ones I serve on a regular basis) on the whole want the best for their kids, and when their child asks "can I have a gun" it sets all sort of alarm bells off.

Archived