Star M249 SAW Feed Issue

GhostWolf
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I wonder if any one can help, I have a feed problem with my Star M249. Now I know it's not the mag because I have tried it with a brand new one. The mags are cycling over and feeding BB's up the tube and that seems as far as they go. Anybody else got any ideas please?

OK, which type of m249 as the 249 amd the mk46 have two seperate feeds into the gun. The mk46 (lots of ris)has a sort of offset internal feed tube into the hop unit, while the basic 249's have a straight into hop unit. If you open the top up you will see the lump of plastic to the left of the hop unit, this is the offset tube into the hop (hop looks like its at a 45deg angle). You could have a blockage there.

If the bb's are getting up from the magazine then the problem is either with the hop unit or the internal feed tube if its a 46.

If you have the motor on all the time, then can you fire anything out of the gun, or does nothing come out?

If you are driving bb's into the hop unit and nothing is coming out then you could have a few issues. Hop is on full and blocking bb's from coming out, IE its jammed. The hop is adjusted by turning the allen screw on the top of the hop when the top is opened up. Anticlockwise is off I think.

You could also have a problem with the airnozzle not engaging into the hop sufficiently to propel the bb's out. When you fire the gun (without the mag in please) can you feel a lot of air preassure come out of the barrel, stick your hand over the end you should see it move the skin on your palm. If not then you have an airseal problem, which could be the nozzle, hop, or even piston seal withn the gearbox.

hope that helps a bit

OK, which type of m249 as the 249 amd the mk46 have two seperate feeds into the gun. The mk46 (lots of ris)has a sort of offset internal feed tube into the hop unit, while the basic 249's have a straight into hop unit. If you open the top up you will see the lump of plastic to the left of the hop unit, this is the offset tube into the hop (hop looks like its at a 45deg angle). You could have a blockage there.

If the bb's are getting up from the magazine then the problem is either with the hop unit or the internal feed tube if its a 46.

If you have the motor on all the time, then can you fire anything out of the gun, or does nothing come out?

If you are driving bb's into the hop unit and nothing is coming out then you could have a few issues. Hop is on full and blocking bb's from coming out, IE its jammed. The hop is adjusted by turning the allen screw on the top of the hop when the top is opened up. Anticlockwise is off I think.

You could also have a problem with the airnozzle not engaging into the hop sufficiently to propel the bb's out. When you fire the gun (without the mag in please) can you feel a lot of air preassure come out of the barrel, stick your hand over the end you should see it move the skin on your palm. If not then you have an airseal problem, which could be the nozzle, hop, or even piston seal withn the gearbox.

hope that helps a bit

It's a star M249 para, which means it requires the mag because thats where the batteries are.

When you open the top cover of the gun up do you have to connect a battery to a connection point there (I had a 46 for a short period, so its different)? If this is the case then you can connect a battery without putting the mag into the mag well, then try the above?

I take it that the mag winds when the trigger is depressed normally, as the mag motor is T'ed off the trigger contacts along with the main motor

When you open the top cover of the gun up do you have to connect a battery to a connection point there (I had a 46 for a short period, so its different)? If this is the case then you can connect a battery without putting the mag into the mag well, then try the above?

I take it that the mag winds when the trigger is depressed normally, as the mag motor is T'ed off the trigger contacts along with the main motor

Update: I think theres nothing wrong with the tapet plate as I have BB's coming through the barrel, just not at regular intervals, also seems if I press in the connector block from the mag I get more through. Could it be a problem with the inlet point where the hop unit is?

http://filairsoft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4615

looks like it is a reasonably common issue with the connections between the box mag and the rifle. Could also be the trigger contatcs as well.

I am assuming that the mag auto winds when the trigger is depressed, which is what the connections do. If it does when you press the mag connector home then this seems to be the issue. People have got round this by rewiring the box mag so that it winds when you switch a switch rather than relyng on the connector. Another issue could be the trigger contct points at the base of the gearbox, they are not making correctly when the trigger is pulled.

Archived