Airsoft. Hobby or Sport?

JerseyRider
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is like the chicken and the egg and AHH no one can decide

To be honest i am totaly split down the middle

On one side its a competition and its physically challenging

But on the other you can spend alot of money on collecting equipment and trying to reenact down to language and tactic's

well maybe the meanings could help us out??

Sport:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Hobby:

A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, often in one's spare time.

MMMMMMMMM <_<

oh crap that is hard. I have always called it a sport to people who dont know what airsoft is. However I see what you are saying. Whenever I speak to airsoft players I would say "This hobby...."

So yep strange 50/50 on this one ha ha

• AF-UK Founding Member

Depends how you are playing IMO, I'd say if your going very MILSIM it's more of a hobby where as if your more just playing for fun I would call it a sport.

Probably can't define airsoft as one or the other as it's both.

Both, a sport can also be a hobby, e.g. motocrossing, there's the high-end sponsored side to it and then there's the mucking about with a cheap battered field bike for laughs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So come on guys what is it??

And give your reasons why

-----Message to Staff-----

If this has already been posted (which i have a feeling it has but havnt found it) then feel free to merge/delete

Thanks

Jack

I would have to say a hobby. The main reason for this is that there is no way to officiate a skirmish therefore eliminating the chance of fair competition. I’m sure everyone who has been to a site and taken part has witnessed people cheating, not taking their hits etc. Even with Marshalls doing their best it could never be classed as a sport due to the fact each game relies on player’s honesty which I’m afraid to say is sometimes lacking. And it really pisses me off when players don’t take hits! haha

A sport is a competitive contest between two or more sides where there is a clear result in the end, win/lose/draw.

IMO it can't be a sport simply because once it becomes competitive, especially if there are stakes (ie a knock out tournament or points in a league) cheating is almost certain to happen, with the more honest players being at a disadvantage.

The only way i would consider airsoft a sport is some of the mil-sim events run where individual teams compete against a team of marshalls.

The general format seems to be this - teams play the part of SAS/SWAT/ARU and take it in turns to storm a building and rescue hostages, it is against the clock with extra points for hostages rescued and terrorists killed.

All terrorists and hostages are the marshalls running the day. This way hit taking is never up for dispute and at the end of the days competition there is clear winner, the fastest.

Other than that, i would say definatley hobby.

im so competitive that i have to call it a sport, purly to justify the fact i take it quite seriosley

i think it changes from being a hobby to a sport when the realism is turned up.... standard skirmishing is just mindless fun, but milsim and roleplay events are more a organised sporting event.

I think it can be both at once, there's nothing in the description of either that say they're mutually exclusive.

I think Airsoft is a sport and I pursue it as a hobby - as opposed to a job - and thats because I find it a fun passtime. I'm sure there are others that take it more or less seriously than I, but I don't see why it can't be both a sport and a hobby to a person.

Archived