ICS L85 Scope/Sight Questions!

GAV2084
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Got an L85 (ICS SA80) and wanted to add a susat or ACOG but need to find out some info first.

I know the British Army use Susat sights but someone told me at a game recently that they are ditching these in the BA and re-specing all with ACOG 's, anyone know if this is right?

Also need to know what is best to get and also if will just pop stright onto the small rail that already holds the iron sights /carry handel? See attached photo.

If not what do I also need to fit a really good Susat or ACOG?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers!

post-2867-1318019817_thumb.jpg

They're sort of right.

The SUSAT is going to be replaced by the ELCAN Spectre DR, with a Docter RDS piggy-backing the ELCAN. The SUSAT is on the way out because the tritium inside (the bit that makes them useful in low-level light conditions) is wearing off. Rather than buy/replace the element, the MoD has ordered the new ELCANs.

However, it's only just startingto replace the SUSAT. As of 2014, the SUSAT should be removed from all front-line 'teeth' units' SA80s.

The ACOG was an Urgent Operation Requirement (UOR) from 2007 in Afghanistan. Only a small number were bought - so that front-line infantry units could replace their SUSATs. They are not intended for widespread use, which is why in photographs from Afghanistan, only some troops have them.

So - it's up to you. You could go SUSAT (although IRRC, there aren't any good SUSATs for airsoft, the eyerelief is poor) for the 'classic' SA80 look. That will fit directly onto the 19mm rail of your L85.

You could go ACOG. 2 options here:

1)buy the replacement 20mm RIS

2)buy the 19mm lever-mount that the British actually use

Or, if you can find one, get the ELCAN. I'm not sure if the model the MoD is avaliable in airsoft form yet.

• Supporters

Wait for Hubert to reply but basically its like this

We had susats, the tritium was reaching its half life (i think) so we bought acogs as a uor.

They are now being replaced with elcan specter dr's, these re the most up to date ones

Like the look of the Elcan Specter DR, anyone know of any decent replicas that would work with my AEG?

Web links would be great...

ACOG style just kinda puts me off a bit, just not keen on the 'look' of them on an SA80.

Much preffer the classic SUSAT but I have also heard about the bad eyerelief being not great, so the 3rd option... Elcan Specter DR.

Just need to work out where to get one...

I just use a traditional "ELCAN", that looks pretty hench.

Sounds intresting!

Got any photos of it on your SA80 that you could show me?

Thanks ;)

Ah sweet!

That looks really nice.

There is no huge gap showing from having it sat on an 'arm' like the ACOG, which is what put me off them... if you know what I mean.

Did that slot straight onto your standard rail? or did you have to get a 20mm RIS?

What make and model is that sight?

Any links to places to buy from?

Sorry for the list of questions, this is just all new territory for me.

Cheers!

i always liked the susat especially when you dropped it and every one ran away

the real acog cost's about a grand and we broke about three each

the elcan looks good on the m16/c7, minimi and the sa80 (finius)

• Supporters
Ah sweet!

That looks really nice.

There is no huge gap showing from having it sat on an 'arm' like the ACOG, which is what put me off them... if you know what I mean.

Did that slot straight onto your standard rail? or did you have to get a 20mm RIS?

What make and model is that sight?

Any links to places to buy from?

Sorry for the list of questions, this is just all new territory for me.

Cheers!

Ta :D

Basically, it sits on my rail nicely, but is a little wobbly and loose UNLESS I take some standard card and put a two-ply strip of it in there, this gives it bonus grip without requiring a raiser or any modification to the L85 itself.

The ELCAN is a Red Dragon (model is basically just a generic 4x zoom elcan replica) I believe, though cannot confirm this and it was sprayed olive by my friend (most come in black IIRC). I don't have any specific links and I'm presently occupied with trying to keep my lizard alive (his heating died on me), but will find some once he's not like a little ice cube :)

Oh, and trust me, get an ELCAN on your L85 and you'll be very unique - I've never seen one with an Elcan on before mine, nor have I ever even seen the suggestion made anywhere (despite the ELCAN being a much tidier looking SUSAT in terms of overall shape IMO).

Archived