First time buyer MP5SD/M4

DreamWeaver
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Been reading the forums for a while, finally decided to register today and get a question that i've been rolling around in my head for a few weeks out of my system.

What is going to be a good first gun to buy for someone new to airsofting but with a good bit of cash to throw around? I'd prefer not spending a fortune with it been a first gun and all but i want something that is going to be reliable.

I would prefer an MP5SD (The one with the integrated suppressor) and im thinking an all metal model would best suit me but im also open to good M4's, All the people at sites i've been to so far seem to use M4's so borrowing magazines etc would be a bonus.

I've currently got my eyes on the ICS MP5SD metal models, does anyone have experience with any of the models (I noticed there is like 6/7 different versions) also i have heard ICS guns are hard/impossible to find aftermarket parts for, is this actually the case? I'm not too fussed about rail systems and scopes and stuff but if ever i wanted to upgrade springs or anything on the internals would this still be possible?

Deffo open to all opinions though.

P.S Im UKARA registered so needing the gun painted isn't a factor

I had a similar quandary. I went with a CQB variant of the M4 as I frequent indoor sites predominately yet don't feel out of place in a larger outdoor environment.

Well as an owner of an ICS M4 and a TM MP5 its hard to know what to advise, I would say if you have the cash have em both as they each have their strengths. I would say I am personally falling more for my MP5 as time goes on and having now met someone with the ICS MX5 I think that is one heck of a gun for the money. Although I agree the SD MP5s are very sexy personally I want the built in 3 shot (with safe, single, 3 and auto selector switch) which the mx5 has.

Parts wise cant really comment, the bits I have purchased so far have been fine and its mostly the fact the body / split gearbox that means you have to stick to ICS stuff. But that doesn't impact all the stuff you stick on the outside like rails, sights, etc and the split gear box I love, which is an ICS only feature.

I have a M15 at the moment but once my Dad gets UKARA'ed I am hopefully going to get a MP4A4 mainly becasue everyone has an M4 and they are abit overrated!

I remember this from an old tech class 'Only dead fish go with the flow'

• Supporters

Get whichever you prefer - the internal differences are that the air nozzle is shorter in an MP5 IIRC and they have a different hop up unit and selector plate.

Literally that is all.

with the ICS MP5's, parts ARE hard to come by, but not impossible and most parts aren't proprietary anyway.

Don't let swapping mags sway you away from one you like - not once have I had to do it

• Supporters

Ics mp5's aren't to bad for part swapping, much better than the armalites at least :P however, theirs (and tm & clones) hop up design is terrible.

Id go with an m4. Yes everyone has them but they're much easier to source parts for and more customizable.

But if you truly want an MP5 then go for it, there's no point buying a model that doesn't interest you :P

Cheers for the input so far, deffo leaning towards the ICS MP5

Are the ICS models all metal? I know they do a plastic series but im presuming the £200+ models are all metal?

Is the split gear box made of metal components?

Turtle, Im not looking to buy just at this moment (Waiting for next payday since i picked up my sidearm and tacgear this month) but if your gun is still there when i have money i'll deffo give it some consideration, liking all the extra mags that come with it :lol:

On a sidenote, do ICS guns only accept ICS magazines? I was planning on running a vest full of mid caps rather than high caps and i noticed some places sell like 10 mid cap magazines for 30 odd quid, are they all generally the same so interchangable?

Real steel MP5's are not all metal, so think ICS not all metal either.

Mag wise I have dboys mags in my M4 (ICS) and they work fine. Think mags can cause issues in any gun, they generally seem to interchange but some dont work in some reps. Not sure ICS is especially prone to issues or not :)

I have a M15 at the moment but once my Dad gets UKARA'ed I am hopefully going to get a MP4A4 mainly becasue everyone has an M4 and they are abit overrated!

I remember this from an old tech class 'Only dead fish go with the flow'

Bit of a silly statement,can you clarify..I think you probably mean "too common"... :rolleyes:

To the op it depends on where you play(cqb,etc) ,what your style of play is(camper,suicide) and are you buying just one gun?

I've had both as other posters have,I found the MP5 was great close up but the range lacked..I've been through a lot of guns but I've finally settled on a KMA M4A1,the sliding stock version.

It is the only gun I have and as I really don't play CQB it's all I need..it does get the odd CQB outing mind.

Yes ICS are a pain for cosmetics but reliable and easy to work on,tbh if you buy quality and look after it properly you won't have an issue and with todays competitive prices I wouldn't buy secondhand again.

I decided on a new gun this year and opted for the KWA M4 due to the excellent reviews,bearing gearbox and superb pricing.

GL...... :lol:

Archived