Laptop/Netbook Suggestions

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Looking for recommendations of which laptop to possibly get. Which brands aren't stupidly over-priced (like Apple are!), which are good and reliable and what's to stay clear of.

I used to have a laptop (well four actually) but I managed to break them all.

First one (Acer); smashed the screen, second one (Toshiba); I stood on when getting out of bed, third one (Toshiba); I dropped down the stairs - completely smashed it, was pretty funny though to be honest :(, and fourth one (Sony VAIO), my brother knocked off the table - may be repairable (could either be the RAM itself or the slots on the motherboard).

I've spent about £1900 on laptops, and after my VAIO died, I decided to get a PC (another £750).

Now I'm beginning to want a laptop again, I will only play one game on it (GTA:SA) while away from home, other than that, it will be for music, school work and general internet browsing. I want one that's good enough to run GTA:SA (which isn't too hard), has a long battery life (Sony had about 4-5 hours of gaming), does not get stupidly hot (so that rules out HP and Toshiba, from experience) and preferably has a tiled keyboard. Operating system must be Windows.

Thanks.

I heard HP are good but word of advice, DON'T GO DELL!, I am sitting here and I have basically turned my laptop into a desktop becasue it is so poop, external keyboard, external mouse, external hardrives, makes noises louder than a hoover!

You can get so much better than a Dell trust me, now have fun choosing a laptop!

• AF-UK Founding Member

I never recommend laptops for gaming, since you generally have to pay silly amounts to get them to run reasonably when desktops can do much better.

If you're doing schoolwork it'll benefit you if it can't play games, that way a £200 netbook would be a great pick imo.

• Supporters

I don't like HP, three in the family, one cooked itself, the other two sound like aeroplanes taking off and you could probably cook a roast on them..

Thanks, although I've never really liked Dell too much either.

I have my PC for gaming, just looking for something to play a 6 year old game for a bit of fun at times..

But yeah, mainly for school work etc. I hate the small keyboards on netbooks, even though their size is more practical.

How do you guys rate Samsung (two netbooks in the family, run pretty smoothly, quiet, don't get hot) and Sony VAIO (was my best laptop ever, played games great, huge battery life and never overheated.. also, had the best keyboard ever!).

Thanks.

I can't really comment on Samsung laptops, didn't know they did them to be honest but my friends Sony Vaio overheats like a bitch, you have to use like a tray to use it, instead of cooking a roast on it, you're cooking yourself!

• AF-UK Founding Member

Samsung are pretty good, personally I wouldn't worry about specific manufacturers, it is the model you want to be concerned about.

Go for specs not name, if the warranty is as good then who cares.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

I know it's an old thread, but I created it, it's off topic and this is completely relevant.

What do you guys think of the Asus N55SF laptop?

It seems pretty good for what I want it for.. any better suggestions for the same price (or less)?

Thanks.

• AF-UK Founding Member

If you want it, then get it, ASUS is good. But, you might want to check how good that deal actually is. Check ebuyer, overclockers, dell, novatech, amazon, dabs, scan etc. You might find £200 off is a load of BS as it is that price everywhere.

Still, as I said, I wouldn't bother with a pricey laptop to play games on, get a desktop for games and something really cheap for notes and such (even if it is a bargain tablet). You'll be able to play games better, travel lighter and have saved some cash.

• Supporters

I know, I have a desktop which I use for gaming..

But I want something I can use for gaming downstairs, round my dad's, at sixth form if my lessons are cancelled (like today, only had last lesson -.-)..

I've completely gone off Netbooks now though, my step-dad's and brother's were good a few months ago, but now they take about 10-15 minutes to start up..

I checked pretty much everywhere else I can find, and PC World is cheapest at £700, others average at £750.

I'll probably wait until January-February time if I get one anyway, something may come down in price, and I have a £50 PC World voucher to use in February.

I'll have a look around until then and read some reviews etc. and get some more recommendations.

Thanks again :).

Btw, Nick, I know you'll read this 'cause you like to post in everything...

What computer/laptop specs do you have for your video/film editing and making?

• Supporters

I will lol

• Supporters

I know you said that Mac's are over priced, but for working on and internet browsing there's nothing better, they're insanely fast and easy to use, they don't get viruses, they don't slow down over time and they last for years.

Also, you've spent £1900 on 4 laptops because you kept dropping them or standing on them, I've dropped my Mac down the stairs, on the floor, stood on it, you honestly wouldn't know. There's a bend in the metal back of the screen and that's it, screen's totally fine, everything works. Can't recommend it more highly.

Plus, mine cost £1285.75, including upgraded RAM and processor, it would've been about £1000 otherwise, but that's a standard laptop, you can probably get a netbook for £700 or less that will last years, be fast and most importantly, be indestructible lol.

Archived