Airsoft guns in television

lemkey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Pretty sure that Doctor Who usually has airsoft weapons, unless it's one of those rare episodes (like the 2 part WW3/Aliens of London) when the MoD lets the Beeb borrow some people (Or the Christmas special where the Chally MBT shoots the ship out of the sky over London), or the weapons in question aren't avaliable in airsoft (like Holy Roman Emperor Churchill's webley revolver)

For example, P90s (The battle against the Ood, The Preachers with their modified P90s against the Weeping Angels) are airsoft. (The one used against the Ood being that one that came with silencer and fake RDS)

Same goes for the G36Cs that Doctor Who (as in the show) seems to love using. Torchwood Institute (and the show) has them, the British Army are shown as using them, last night's episode has them.

Just cheaper to use them. And you don't need to give too much training to the actors.

The one I'm really not sure about - the M4s UNIT use. I've read somewhere that those were blank firers, not airsoft...

• Supporters

It's cheaper and safer to give a actor an airsoft gun for the propmaster compared to getting a blank firering gun from a certified armorist/gunsmith. So they tend to get airsoft guns until they need to fire but I think Stargate have its own armory lol lots of guns on that show

Amelia Pond firing a G36, was it just me or was that sort of hot? :D

alot of films now-a-days use airsoft weapons as its cheaper as said and easier to use without specific laws and fire-arms experts etc.

alot of the time, pistols found on actors are airsoft aka 'holster-stuffers' like the Colt .45's found in the latest Indiana Jones films.

The matrix used one or two airsoft (although older generation) and polystyrene MP5k's (hardened) believe it or not.

My favourite 'airsoft-spot' is when they pull the weapon to their body and you can see the high-cap spindle on the bottom of the magazines - makes me laugh everytime! uh-oh...here comes the bad-guy with a 'plinker' ... :D

but generally - if its not Ultimate Force, Stargate etc - you could bet its some form of airsoft gun.

one of my fav films, Tropic Thunder (although Vietnam themed) used M4A1 (detachable upper rail clearly visible) airsoft guns during the final battles - close ups show the brass barrels for one example lol!

anyways, rant over (anything to pass time at work) - hope this helps

It's cheaper and safer to give a actor an airsoft gun for the propmaster compared to getting a blank firering gun from a certified armorist/gunsmith. So they tend to get airsoft guns until they need to fire but I think Stargate have its own armory lol lots of guns on that show

Amelia pond using G36 hot?? HELL YEAH!! One of my all time fave guns and red head actresess in the same scene.....Heaven :wub:

Yeah, due to the fact Stargate is an American/Canadian show, they have access to a HUUUUUUUUGE armoury. Seriously, both it and BSG/Caprica have enough firearms to equip a small army...

British shows (of the last 25 years or so) are predominantly replica (not necessarily airsoft) based, but there are exceptions. As I mentioned, some shows like Doctor Who, Soldier Soldier, Red Caps (and - strangely enough - Mr Bean) do get MoD people/toys. And, there are plenty of companies in the UK that are legal, licsened TV/Film armourers, but due to expense, are rarely involved in the average British TV show ( which's plot has a need for guns obviously...)

As for your last point - errr B):D:lol:

• Supporters
Yeah, due to the fact Stargate is an American/Canadian show, they have access to a HUUUUUUUUGE armoury. Seriously, both it and BSG/Caprica have enough firearms to equip a small army...

British shows (of the last 25 years or so) are predominantly replica (not necessarily airsoft) based, but there are exceptions. As I mentioned, some shows like Doctor Who, Soldier Soldier, Red Caps (and - strangely enough - Mr Bean) do get MoD people/toys. And, there are plenty of companies in the UK that are legal, licsened TV/Film armourers, but due to expense, are rarely involved in the average British TV show ( which's plot has a need for guns obviously...)

As for your last point - errr B):D:lol:

True

True

Tut :P

The also used airsoft weapons in Stargate, most notably the P90s. They are swapped out for live weapons for scenes where they actually need to fire them. Quite amusingly, you often see a character carrying a P90 with red dot sight on it in one scene, then it miraculously changes to the non red dot equipped version when they pull the trigger two seconds later :D

And, there are plenty of companies in the UK that are legal, licsened TV/Film armourers, but due to expense, are rarely involved in the average British TV show ( which's plot has a need for guns obviously...)

Don't you believe it. The guys I work with supply live weapons to everything from Downton Abbey to those programs Chris Barry did on British engineering. Vickers machine gun, any one?

If you see a G36 in anything, it'll be airsoft, because H&K will not sell them to anybody but law enforcement and military forces. Nor will they allow them to be sold on to third parties when they are replaced. It was similar with MP5s until very recently. Very few section 5 armourers can obtain H&K weapons for film/TV use.

Archived