Well L96 Internal Upgrades

Jake117
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just bought my Well L96 sniper rifle (although it is being repaired as the fps was only 228). Everyone says that it costs at least £500 to have a decent sniper but I was just thinking about what is absolutely necisary.At the moment I'm looking for a 6.01 barrel for it (anyone know where to get a cheapish one?), what else do I realistically need? I dont need it to be the best sniper on the field, I just need it to be useful in a sniper role.

Just bought my Well L96 sniper rifle (although it is being repaired as the fps was only 228). Everyone says that it costs at least £500 to have a decent sniper but I was just thinking about what is absolutely necisary.At the moment I'm looking for a 6.01 barrel for it (anyone know where to get a cheapish one?), what else do I realistically need? I dont need it to be the best sniper on the field, I just need it to be useful in a sniper role.

First thing is the hop up and the barrel. First get yourself a new hop-up rubber. a normall TM or madbull will do it, Next the barrel. a 6.01 is not the best, get a 6.03 mad by prommy on Madbull. If you want to get more expensive the next up will be making barrel spaces and replacing the plastic hop-up with a metal one.

Marksman 556 will tell you more than I can so PM him :P

Well with pretty much all the upgrades for the TM L96 fitting the Well version, you have a endless supply of upgrades you can add. the main upgrades you need are like cam said, a hop-up rubber and metal unit, also a 6.01 barrel or a 6.03 up to you. Barrel spacers are a must as well, but there are load you can pick from but the ones above are the main ones you should focus on first. Over time you can the blot upgrade etc.

• Supporters

The upgrades for the TM L96 will not fit the Well L96. The TM uses some VSR parts and some that unique. The Well L96 uses APS-2 upgrades.

I have this gun, and have recently upgraded it. Put about £520 into it and it's just about done.

Mine was cr*p accuracy with the stock barrel, as it wasn't cut properly, but my mate's has good accuracy with the stock barrel.

If it's the version 3 (with velocity reducer), then you won't be needing power upgrades yet, but you'll probably need to strengthen the trigger unit and sears. After just three games, mine had a crack down one side, and on both the screw holes, so I bought the metal one from Airsoft World (here), I haven't replaced the sears yet though, as they're hold out at 500 FPS.

For accuracy upgrades, I got the hop unit from ASPUK (here), which is more consistent and allows the use of AEG barrel. But it is not compatible with the stock cylinder and head. So, you would to get new ones, I got the ones from ASPUK (here and here), but you can't use the velocity reducer with these.

The hop rubber I got was the MadBull Red one, which I wouldn't recommend as it gave me far too much hop for .40s. So I'm going to get a standard Tokyo Marui one and nub, as the hop unit is designed for.

For the barrel, I got the MadBull 6.03x650mm from Action Hobbies (here), which is longer than is needed (the stock is 495mm). I used silencer and adapter to hide the extended barrel.

For power upgrades, I got the advanced upgrade set (spring, spring guide and piston) from ASPUK (here) which replaces the plastic parts with more durable metal ones, and can supposedly withstand 600 FPS.

Bear in mind, this is the cheap route for upgrading and cost me ~£500 (including gun).

The other route is PDI or LayLax upgrades, costing a lot more, but being more durable and consistent, but I'm happy with the cheaper route.

Make sure you check compatibility with the rifle and other upgrades before you buy though!

Hope I helped :).

Wow, thanks a lot :) I've had 2 take it back again though one of the bolts has somhow been sheered off before i got it. As soon as it gets back though i can start ording parts :) Thanks again

• Supporters

Where did you get it from? And why was it only shooting 228, did you remove the velocity reducer?

Its a WELL L96 and from combat south. Its had quite a few problems but they sorted all of the out now. In the end it did turn out to be the velocity reducer I think. Does a velocity reducer allow you to relatively easily change the fps of your rifle? Because if so I hope they left it in :P Also I used it today and got nine kills, two of them being headshots ;) Like a lot of WELL L96 after about 40ft it veers left but what do you expect from an un-upgraded £150 sniper?.

Iv got all the internal upgrades for the well and personally I'd say:

PDI hop up

Hop rubber, madbull shark or hard fire fly

Madbull V2 python 6.03/6.05 or Prommy 6.05/6.03 509mm

Barrel spacers, PDI aeg or home made

Silencer adapter, new barrel will stick out the end but the adapter will be enough to cover

That gear will help accuracy and shot consistency.

Piston upgrades only help fps and fps consistency.

Just ask if you need any more details.

Ric

• Supporters

Jake, I'll put it like this for ya.

You got 9 kills over the course of the day with a (mostly) stock Well L96

I've gone the expensive laylax-pdi parts with my VSR.

I marshalled the morning and straight after lunch within the first 5 minutes of gameplay I hit 11/11 shots at about 50M with tree cover and otehr 'obstacles' in the way + a difference in elevation. (and no I'm not exaggerating, It turns out I'm rather good at sniping :P)

And that is the norm for me at the minute.

I've spent £700 including £100 on the scope, so only really £400 on upgrades.

You REALLY get what you pay for.

Even if you don't start out spending £700, it's well worth saving up for proper quality bits for it.

I'm not going to lecture you on parts - Liam has that covered pretty well.

BB's make a massive difference to your performance, I run either BBBastard .3's or Blaster DEVIL .3's but that is down to you what to choose but remember that a quality polished BB will always go where you want it to.

Nice man. But I only put that last reply to tell you all that I finally had my rifle and that it was good ish for a stock rifle. I am under no pretences that I am probably going to put a couple of hundred pounds on top of the 150 I paid for it to make it a decent sniper and luckily I have come into a bit of money lately so instead of being sensible and saving it I've decided to do this little project ;) There was many a time where a better sniper could have hit people I saw that were out of range of the stock sniper (I actually got out ranged by an AEG on semi at one point :'( anyway while I'm still awake just wanted to thank you all for being so helpful :)

hold up, if you dont want the expense but want something that will do the same job cheaper and with sacrificy quality then we are a good choice. And we offer impartial advice, we don't always push every part we sell if you don't need it!

• Supporters

Lol calm down but it i part of forum rules to not advertise your business somewhere i havent read them for nearly 3 months so might have changed slightly.

• AF-UK Founding Member

I don't mind him saying he has the product if it is something the OP could be genuinely interested in. Since the OP seems to be wanting to save money and that is the direction he has come at it I don't have a problem. Offering advice on top of that adds to the forum so it isn't a problem.

ty Devastator.

Liam sounds like he's pretty much nailed the L96 and so his advice should be taken on board.

I myself tend to do the following with Clone L96 rifles (Well, Mauser, Warrior):

1. Replace Spring for desired FPS - M150 usually gets you 500 FPS aka 150SP.

2. Replace Piston

3. Replace spring guide

4. Replace trigger sear (not always 100% necessary but advisable)

5. Replace piston sear

6. Replace stock hop lever with metal one or pack out hop so you can get a bit more lift with heavier BBs.

7. Replace Hop rubber although the stock ones i've had have been perfectly fine.

That should do it. Using just these parts i have managed to get some Well/Warrior L96 rifles firing around 90-100m pretty accurately.

If you're still having issues with accuracy i.e. grouping at range then it might be worthwhile swapping the barrel out. I stick with 6.03 or 6.04 barrels as i find these offer the best accuracy at range and won't bore you with the techie details on why.

If you can't source a direct inner barrel replacement then you'll have to use an AEG barrel which also means you'll have to replace the hop unit too, for something like the PDI or ASPUK one.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

just an update as i get a lot of queries from this thread.

be aware of L96 cylinders. All the newer versions are using weaker cylinders. In the past stock cylinders could handle upgrade springs but over the past year or so, to save costs, L96 rifles have got slightly thinner aluminium cylinders which, after putting in a new spring you can end up hitting yourself in the face when the boly handle comes off in your hand.

Stock cylinders are crimped in place to secure them to the bolt handle. This area warps and breaks over time even with stock springs.

So, if you plan on upgrading (which you should) you must consider a new cylinder. Even if you don't get it early on, make sure it's on your list for future upgrade.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is pretty old, but can I purchase the "150 upgrade kit" which includes m150 spring, spring guide and ally piston on its own? or will i need to purchase a new trigger system? I want to get my well l96 hitting 500fps borderline, as 500fps is the maximum velocity allowed at my local skirmish site.

cheers, Jack.

• 5 months later...

dont want to leave this thread unanswered.....

Ideally, your L96 should have it's piston, spring guide and cylinder replaced if you're going to run over 450fps.

Cylinders on the new models are thinner and weaker than older versions, simply putting a high tensile spring will snap your cylinder at the bolt handle section.

Stock sears in the L96 are quite good and can last a while before they need replacing. Often, the plastic trigger box breaks or cracks before the sears go. Alas, the whole trigger will need replacing at some point along with the sears.

dont want to leave this thread unanswered.....

Ideally, your L96 should have it's piston, spring guide and cylinder replaced if you're going to run over 450fps.

Cylinders on the new models are thinner and weaker than older versions, simply putting a high tensile spring will snap your cylinder at the bolt handle section.

Stock sears in the L96 are quite good and can last a while before they need replacing. Often, the plastic trigger box breaks or cracks before the sears go. Alas, the whole trigger will need replacing at some point along with the sears.

Thanks for the reply dazz

• Supporters

If anyone who is upgrading their L96 ends up with a spare hop rubber which looks like this:

b-actionarmy-type96-hopup-bucking-detail

...regardless of the make, I'll buy it from you. Don't worry if it isn't exactly like this, so long as it has the ridge on the same side as the rubber nub, rather than the usual opposite side. PM me :)

Archived