Replacing Internals

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Decided I may as well replace most of my internals in my M4 as it has enough problems anyway and is A&K, not sure what brand it's a clone of though.

The FPS has dropped a lot since I got it 9 months ago (340 down to 270 now). I want new barrel, hop unit, rubber, would also like to increase rate of fire and return to 340 FPS, and any other internal upgrades that it will need.

Any help as to what brands to stick to, what parts are good and will last, and how to fit them.

Links to products to save me finding them would be even more helpful, as I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Currently just going to compare prices to what it would cost to get a new, better branded gun.

On a side note, what would I need to be able to use Li-Po batteries effectively in it?

Thanks for help.

what I did was bought a g&p complete gearbox was only £75 from land-warrior and came rear wired and also had Dean connectors on which if using lipos will make life better as Dean connectors have less electrical resistance and give minor benefits like better rof and are all one size, not like the tamiya connectors. I also had a clone m4 and didn't trust it internally, I found that the best set up was dropping a ready made gearbox into my m4 was a lot easier than paying someone to build a gearbox for me, and is an easy installation. And is going to last you some time if looked after, and regards to lipos use 7.4v lipos as they will work fine in any standard gun, if you go for 11v lipos you will need a MOSFET so you don't burn your trigger contacts out.

hope that helps.

• Supporters

Thanks, I was thinking G&P, seem to keep people happy with their products :). There are two G&P ones on LWA, one's £60 (90% power) and other's £115 (150% power), which did you get, or neither of those?

I'm looking for front wired, and found this one; G&P 1J Gearbox (front), although it's quite expensive at £110. You know what it's like? I'll email them for more detail as they have no product description.

I was going to get a MOSFET anyway, but doubt I'll want 11v Li-Pos :P.

What about a motor?

Thanks.

yeah the 7mm gearbox £58.99 is the one I used, I did the soldering to deans myself but thats optional, and if you want it front wired give lwa a call and ask about if buying the gearbox how much todo it while it's there to?

motor wise stick with what you have as your motor will handle it no problems

and the hop up unit I personally wouldn't change until it needed to but I would buy a new hop rubber and 6.03 tight bore barrel, (but that's not essential) that set up will be very nice!

• Supporters

Is got for a 90% g&p drop-in, their 100%'s tend to be a little hot

Get a g&p m120 motor, theyre brilliant, wouldn't recommend anything else for their price.

As for hop it etc, is get a madbull 6.03 barrel, madbull

• Supporters

I'll get the £60 one from LWA, when it's in stock. You know anywhere that has it in stock now, or will do soon (5 weeks time)? I've emailed LWA to ask them.

And will get MadBull barrel etc. MadBull rubber didn't fit in my stock hop properly though when I tried it, and my hop's f***ed. Should I get a MadBull one, or something else?

Any performance differences in length?

I currently have a 280mm one, but can hold a 363mm in the outer barrel, and I have silencer, so can hold up to 510mm. I do woodland more often than Urban, and prefer longer weapons, but if there's no difference then I'll get cheapest.

• Supporters

I'll get the 363 if there's no performance difference, save myself £5 or so.

Any recommendations on weight for BBs? Currently use .20s, can get .23s, .25s and .28s at my site though.

• Supporters

What hop unit did you mean?

And I'll get a small bag of each and try them out, see what I do best with :). Any brand recommendations? I use Guarder in my sniper, they're pretty good and excel in my pistol. Should I try MadBull, seeing it'll be MadBull barrel, hop and rubber?

Thanks for helping, know what I'm getting now, just waiting for it to be in stock.

• Supporters

Okay, will stick with Excel, they're what's sold on site.

Another thing, my outer barrel is badly cut. The cut-outs for the front sight aren't level with the hop unit or body cut-outs.

If I want to shoot straight, I have to have one sight twisted, if I want to aim, I have to have curving BBs. New hop might solve, but if not, I'll need a new outer barrel. Any suggestions on a cheap one, for 15.5cm RIS (15 positions) that'll fit M4 receiver?

• Supporters

I'm keeping an eye out on multiple forums for them :).

I may wire to Deans, depends if I can be bothered. I'll just need to replace the connector right, not the whole wire?

Also, what would I need to use Li-Pos? I know MOSFET, link to a suitable one would be good :). They use different chargers? and I need something to tell when the battery's flat?

Thanks.

• Supporters

Thanks, useful :). I know where my next pay's going now..

Can someone give a list of things I need/need to do to use Li-Pos effectively without destroying anything please?

as I mentioned in my earlier replys stick with 7.4 lipos, and you will need a lipo charger and a battery checker so you dont run the battery flat as they can pop if ran flat, which is not nice! go to componentshop.co.uk they have a special Airsoft section on lipo batteries etc.. I use them for any battery's and have never had problems with any of them.

the deans connectors are a must as they cost less than £1 and give you a few good advantages, if you need help with any installation I can send you some very good YouTube links that will help alot, well it did for me :)

• Supporters

Okay, thanks a lot guys.

I think I know what I'm getting now..

G&P 7mm gearbox

G&P M120 motor

MadBull ultimate hop with blue rubber

Madbull 6.03 barrel

Deans connectors

7.4v Li-Pos

Li-Po charger

Battery checker

MOSFET

• Supporters

I don't have RIS, I use standard handguard, prefer the older look :)

Archived