First day of Uni

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just started at Sheffield Hallam, seems like a pretty cool, chilled out place.

Though annoyingly my timetable rather disagrees with my job, I'ma have to find a new one. D=

• Supporters

I started two years ago, then a year ago and this year I'm finally gonna go into second year lmao.

That said, I will be partying like a fresher, all year. University is the best thing I ever did with my life.

You will love it. Does sheffield have an airsoft society?

Moved down to London on Saturday, enrolled today and have my induction day with the War Studies department on Thursday. Start lectures on Monday.

Miss airsoft. Miss home. Still, having a good time.

Currently trying to work out how possible (ok, legal) it would be for me to store my carbine in my room. Don't think I will, just in case. Safer at home me thinks.

• Supporters

Hubert, most halls of residence contracts state you're not allowed anything that resembles a weapon on the premises, some do not. If you're lucky, they won't, in which case you are completely okay to have it.

You are a paying tenant (or in this case, licensee), as such, you have and hold all the rights of someone who would rent any property or permanent accommodation, minus anything listed in your agreement with the "landlord". Provided it would not violate the contract of tenancy or license, and is within the confines of the common law (which storing an RIF or IF is), you may store your carbine on the premises.

My previous halls had a ban on "BB guns" and anything that resembled a weapon; as a result my AEG and shotgun weren't really allowed, I just made sure that they were kept in a lockable hardcase (something big enough to look like it could hold a guitar) and whenever I handled them, I locked my door to prevent unannounced entry. On one occasion a cleaning lady saw my AEG and wasn't remotely bothered.

Unless you run round waving it above your head shouting "dakka dakka mohammad jihad" whilst wearing a turban and shooting people with it, your "halls admin" team will probably have bigger fish to fry (for example, our halls team had to try and sniff out and catch someone who was dealing meth).

Hope I helped :D

Righto thanks, that'spretty much what I assumed.

Might leave it a term or two before I do bring my carbine down. Until then, I've always got the train back 'Oop North.

Now, whilst not stricktly related to airsoft, or university, could someone clarify something for me please?

Is it normal to see AH-64 Westland Apache-Longbows flying up and down the Thames?

Today I've seen 3 flying around the Waterloo area. And they were definitly Apaches, they were flying low enough for me to be able to confirm it. And I''ve been to enough airshows to be able to recognise the sound of their rotors and engnes. That, and not many helicopters are dark-olive drab, have the large radar dome above the rotors or more obviously, have 30mm chainguns under the cockpit...

When I was on the phone to my Dad, he suggested it might have been from the Internation Arms Exposition 2011 (at Docklands - open to the public for the first time this year, very interesting from what I saw hope it's open doors again next year), but as far as I know it ended on Sunday, and it didn't have AH-64s there.

I've looked at my maps and guides, and none of the barracks are helicopter units (or seem suitable for helio use due to all the buildings). Which leads me to my only possible conclusion:

This is how the coalition is taking on potential rioters. :lol:

(The thing that makes it weirder is the timing. I saw the first 2 within 50minutes of each other, and the last one 3 hours later from my flat window)

Back to uni - does anyone know if London is any good for airsofting? I've only found 1 site so far, Wolf's Bunker 51. Don't know if it's any good, so any help would be appreciated.

• Supporters

Central London, probably not so good, but you have access to the most complex localized public transport in the country - I tend to accept travelling an hour and a bit each was as fine for a shoot, have a look, see what you can find in that range :)

• Supporters

There is no Airsofting society Finius :(

But my student ambassador did say I might be able to set one up, so I'll look into it once I've settled in.

As per usual when I used it as my introductory "interesting fact" all I got was, "what's that?"

Grr...

• AF-UK Founding Member

Good luck with setting one up.. reminded me of The Inbetweeners.

"If you have any more views on it, I suggest you join the school debating society. Obviously, you'll have to start one first"

We don't have a society, but I did find that one of my new friends from my course is a very experienced airsofter. Happy!

Archived