Selling to under 18s parents.

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm selling a gun and I have interest from someone under 18, so they've asked me if I'll two tone the gun for them.

Now, since it used to be two tone and I don't want to ruin the gun by crappily scratching off the paint, I've said I'd rather not re-two tone it. Plus there's the fact that if they then decide they don't want the gun, I'll have to paint it again or risk putting off a lot of potential buyers...

So I was thinking, if we go down the other road to prove they're a skirmisher, ringing marshalls, viewing photos etc etc, could I sell a RIF to an under 18s parents, with proof that it's going to a skirmsher?

• Supporters

Well wait for finius but i say no as ukara is their for a reason as otherwise why should any of us bother getting the correct defences

no you all know where i stand especially on under 18's

• Supporters

Would I have to prove the parents are skirmishers though?

I thought you just had to have UKARA to BUY a RIF, not own one?

Oh, but his 'rents would have to buy it, yeah I get you now... It seems like a stupid question now. Can't believe I missed that.

Cheers Dev.

• AF-UK Founding Member

As Craig says, the money has to be coming from the parents too. If they then go and do the dirty that isn't anything to do with you, you've sold legitimately, the illegal sale would then be between the parent and child.

• Supporters

It's pretty simple if your not happy with the sale, don't go through with it.

• Supporters

It's not that, I was wondering about the legal side of it. If anything I'd be more happy selling to someone's parents because I feel that they'd be less likely to try and rip me off (no offence intended to anyone), I just don't want to two tone this gun and I don't want to have to pay someone else to do it either so I was just trying to assertain whether or not it's possible to sell an under 18 a gun without it being two tone and without their parents being either UKARA registered or regular skirmishers by combining the parents over 18ness, with the child's regular skirmishingness.

Not that I'm trying to purposely undermine the system, I just thought what I'd thought of might be some kind of loop hole and I wanted to run it by people on here to be sure.

It's pretty unlikely I'll sell it to him anyway as Craig's the highest bidder so far.

• Supporters

Fairy powerspray?

As in, the dish washing liquid? Really?

• Supporters

I've read the first post here. I'm going to ignore every other post and just do my usual thing. Someone may have posted an answer already. You cannot do what it seems you want to do. Here is why:

You want to sell a RIF to someone. The person who buys it, MUST be an adult (18+) AND a skirmisher. What this means, is that the person who them-self pays for it and, for however brief a period, takes possession of the item, is the one who must meet the requirements, not the person they are buying it to give to. Therefore, the parents of the intended recipient (the U18), must meet the buyer criteria.

It doesn't matter if the intended recipient is a skirmisher, the parents must be skirmishers also in order to legally buy the RIF from you. The law does not "stack", you can't take one person who could be a skirmisher and another who is over eighteen, pull some strings and say you're selling to a combination of people who, through addition of individual traits, meet the legal requirements.

The other major thing here, is that the parents must buy it as a legitimate gift. The child may not give them £xxx to buy it for himself, they must do so out of the kindness of their own heart.

I say this all the time; it's not worth trying to pull a fast one on the VCRA. The punishments are too severe and airsoft doesn't need the bad press that comes with people trying to dupe the law.

My apologies if this thread has already been concluded and we're onto something else, but I like to post a clear answer at least once wherever it seems needed.

• Supporters

Thought that may be the case, just thought it worth a check first.

Cheers Finius.

Archived