Hop Up

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

My hop up's too good. I turn it down completely and .40s still go for the clouds instead of a nice straight flight. It's the MadBull Shark (red) one, and has the X-shaped nub (below). I tried using the inner tube of a pen as a temporary replacement, but it was still too high, so I had to squash it (below). I did it as evenly as I could, using the base of the mag and my computer desk, but was inconsistent (I'm not sure if the other two were too, as it was shooting too high for me to see...).

X-shape nub and pen inner tube.

img2011091400201.jpg

img2011091400199.jpg

Any ideas on what I can do or use instead? Have a game Sunday, and would like to use this gun. I don't have any normal AEG hop nubs or packing to swap them out with.

Would .43s make enough of a difference (I doubt it), and what about increasing the power (which I'm doing anyway soon)?

Also, could the accuracy inconsistency be caused by a badly shaped cylinder head? It's not cut straight at the end, it's at a slight angle.

Thanks.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Turn the gun upside down :P

No, in all seriousness I'd see if someone at your site can look at it. Hands on is always much easier and they are likely to make sure you get a definite fix rather than one you happen to have bodged.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say your best option is to go with what Devastator said and have it looked at but I have had a similar problem (actually with me I was aiming at a door and the BB flew so bent it actually hit my team mate standing to the side of the door). Trying to explain that to him was not easy. :-|

I would say the problem is more than likely in the hop rubber you are using. Has it always been firing this way since installing it or has the problem just suddenly cropped up? If it's been this way since installing the best thing I can recommend is trying a different hop rubber.

It does sound like to hop rubber is a bit thick, and using the H nub means that there is always a bit poking into the barrel even when wound off. I would recomend changing the rubber and probably going back to a normal nub, so should cost under a tenner to do that.

Archived