laptops?

M_P
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ok, I've got literally no idea when it comes to computers, but I need a new one for college.

Ive got an old MAC, and like the OS, so probably want to start with a mac but as above, I've got no idea :S

I only need to run a few basic programs, but it needs to be small and light- so I was looking at the macbook air,

Any advice on choosing, or anything else I should look at?

Thanks

if you like the mac os and dont mind the price tags that go with apple then go with any they make they will all happily run average programs and abit more. although i dont think they have a disc drive which could be annoying if you want to copy anything from cds although you can buy external ones

personaly id always go for a windows based system since for the price of mac you can get double the spec and be able to play games etc

id say get a Decent webbook, and throw on linux its a nice light OS, and if you are still fussed about having leopard then you can get a copy and install it on a pc.

Macs are nice and all that, but replace ment parts are over priced and for the cost of them new its not all that worth it, unless you use them as a business.

good for media design, but for the 800+ you will spend you can get a small super computer built for the same cost.

Basically a pc is brilliant as simple to fix compared to mac, mac run so much better (i had 6 OS running at the same time on my old mac worked a treat) but they get old real quick.

Macbook air, that isnt even a laptop worth getting, unless you are one of those people who must have the latest thing and also have a salt water hose pipe shoved up your arse.

the macbook air was just proof that it could be done, you have to buy a special external disk drive for it to work, which is over priced, to upgrade it is over priced, if it goes wrong its over priced, and due to the lack of room in the thing i would image overheating would be a total bitch.

so if you need something light get a netbook, cost less then £200 still need an external disk drive but can pick up a windows suitable one for about £10 if you look (spent £25 for my LG external) and they run well with a light OS, id still say use a linux OS, but you would first need to learn how to work with linux as its the hardest if you have no idea, but learn to use it and it will become the best OS.

I would advise NOT to get a macbook air as they are light yes but have sh*t internals especially for £1,000+ I saw a samsung notebook for £400 whihc was significantly better then the air and I asked one of the PC world people and they agreed.

If you like the OS then you can get a version for windows or simply mod you PC, sounds hard but loads of my friends have done it.

The are many other reasons why a PC is better for you a main one would be compatability in the fact transfering documents is easier etc. on a PC with loads less issues. Also anything you can get on a Mac you can get a better cheaper version for windows. For example I do a lot of movie editing so one might assume I have a Mac but the software I run on here is far better and cheaper then anything for Mac (I have Sony Vegas Pro 10 about half the price of Apple's Final Cut and far better) The rule of thumb with macs and apple is it will be at least 1.5x more expensive for the same thing on mac. and TBH they don't look that amazing, I prefer the sleek balck design of my HP which was designed my an artist and cost me £600 and is better then a Mac Book pro for £1,500, you can do the math!

if you like how the MAC os looks you can do what ive done and place the tool bar at the top and install rocketdock.

Myscreen.jpg

it gives you the sleek look, with all the flexablity of a Windows PC(cheaper software, easier to get pirate software aswell)

or if you want the apple OS on a PC you can download a Bootloader and the PC conversion of Leopard(current MAC os) and install it directly to your pc

first off nick the guys in pc world arent experts for the most part they are just sales assistants with a basic understanding of what the average person wants to hear when buying a pc so dont take them to seriously.

HP are selling off their hardware stock so now is a good time to get out there and look for hp laptops as they will be discounting them

as for size/weight most are light now so you dont need to pay extra for less which is what a mac air seems to be

tbh im not a big fan of apple products i find them over priced fashion items but the macs are decent machines and will have less problems than windows operating systems do

are HP stopping making PCs? because I love my one! but want to get a more pwerful one in about a year and would love another HP

• AF-UK Founding Member

Get what you like really, if you're happy with the price and the spec then go for it. Only you know what you need to use it for and how mobile it has to be :)

With regards to HP, might be a while before they start discounting the main PC's if they ever do, the hardware isn't outdated or discontinued and they are still offering support. It is the webOS devices such as their phones and the touchpad (a tablet). Luckily I was able to get the touchpad 16GB in the recent firesale for £89, down from £400 RRP :P

great buy dev! i was under the impression hp were stopping all hardware products? i saw a few with price cuts at tescos the other day, could just be a coincidense i guess

• Supporters

I hate HP laptops. 4 in the family, they all get extremely hot to the point where you actually get burnt, constantly going wrong and extremely slow and the battery life on them is appalling. They all sound like aeroplanes too.

I loved my Sony VAIO, could use on any surface (including bed covers) without it getting hot or overheating at all, battery lasted ages, 4 or 5 hours, played games extremely well (for a laptop) - and then I dropped it down the stairs, hasn't worked since.

Got a desktop now, I've broken far too many laptops (5 in 4 years)!

yeah HP desktops are good, laptops have a major overheating problem.........got 2 high spec laptops about a year and a half ago(one for each perant) one has a broken fan the other one melted the internals

yea my laptop heats up quite a bit when I'm using large programs but i can cool it easily, just keep it off fabric etc.

ive got a hp thats 4 years old and still going- i dropped the battery a while back so cant comment on what the bat life is. does get pretty warm though but it has done a fair bit over the time ive had it so i certainly cant complain.

defies the ppoint of a laptop though,

they say need to be on a table when used.............so just like a desktop then?

i will admit cheap cheerfl little net books are brilliant for simple tasks like streaming videos typing docs browsing internet. if thats all you need a netbook is wise, they have good battery life and the size of them are truly portable

Archived