Problem with my G&G MP5 (2011 spec)

airsoftsupremacy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I join this website to seek help with my G&G MP5, I am sure I will continue to use it for all of it's other utilities. Anyway, I was bought this MP5 for Christmas when www.airsoftworld.net were doing their Christmas bundle. Prior to its recent malfunction (which happened to occur in the middle of an ambush), my MP5 has served me rather well, with very impresive FPS, accuracy and overall performance in skirmishes. It is a brilliant piece of kit, and I have missed using it over the few months it has been out of action for. I would very much appreciate any help or attempts with the intent of help.

To get to the point, when it is fired and the trigger released (in either semi or full auto, although it seems much more predominant in full-auto) the gear box makes a horrible grinding sound. It also changes fire mode aswell, varying in semi,full and safe, making it very unreliable to fire and use in skirmishes. When this change happens, the external selector switch stays in the correct position, so I'm guessing there is something lose inside? Any body have any ideas of what it could be?

• AF-UK Founding Member

Moved this to the right place so it hopefully gets a bit more attention.

By the sounds of it, it could probably be a few things. Have you ever taken it apart before? Have you ever opened up a gearbox? If it is something you think you might be better off not touching we'd usually recommend finding someone handy at your local site or going to an airsoft shop which has a techie who will be able to sort it for you.

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

Thank you very much guys, especially to Devastator. I have stripped it down as far as the gearbox and the lower reciever being together (and the rest down completely) I'm not entirely sure how to get the gearbox out on this, I'm not new to opening up gearboxes, but getting out in the first place is the problem. There are no pins anywhere or even screws underneath the plate on the bottom of the pistol grip with the motor adjustment. The fire selector holds it in position, but I doubt that is all that is holding it it and to get it off you need a stupidly small hex-key. Then there's sourcing the problem its self. I have my suspicions that the the anti-reversal latch is out of positon which could case the grinding on the spur gear and the spur gears movement sometimes knocks it further out of place, catching on the internal selector lever, or the cut off lever, causing it to change fire mode and misfire too?

£160 is a not huge amount atall for an airsoft gun, but considering I paid £50 for my first AEG, which has a platic gearbox and I have had for about 5 years at still performs as it did when it was new, with no maintainance other than the usual oiling and cleaning, I'm quite disapointed in G&G at the momment. Still, when it actually works, that MP5 is a craking bit of kit. I live in Gloucestershire and I'm not sure were I can get it repaired and for how much if worst comes to worst. It might be cheaper and easier to buy a new one alltogether and keep the old one for spare parts, what do you guys think?

Archived