Paintball vs Airsoft

Flynn567
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

The new generation of Paintball guns have mag feeds, bullet style ammo and rifled barrels

http://www.choicepaintballguns.com/product/013668

t68_ris_socom_paintball_gun.jpg

The new Airsoft guns Being ERG (Electric Recoil Gun) and when the mag is empty the gun will stop firing (nice)

Do you think Airsoft is still better and cooler than Paintball? (I'm talking about the just games not the peaple who play it)

And do you think Airsoft manufacturers shoud start looking at the new style internals, ammo and barrels for the next generation of airsoft ?

the only thing that paintball have over airsoft is the paint helps prevent cheating but airsoft wins for everything else. i like the fact in airsoft u dont need full face masks which i hate

• Supporters

As said by many people, and someone on this forum (I neglect to remember who); paintball is for men who enjoy other men.

And I'm not talking enjoying other men "lads on tour" style, I'm talking Brokeback Mountain enjoyment.

Airsoft is miles above paintball. Realism, cost, variation etc. If you offered me a choice between £2000 to spend on airsoft, or £10,000 on paintball, I'd stab you in the eye for suggesting I'd enjoy paintball, then I'd steal all the money.

• Supporters

This is all true but your missing the point of Paintball is rethinking and updating there guns as where Airsoft guns are more or less the same as when I 1st started playing about 7 years ago. Do you not think its time to rethink the design?

Ignoring whether the guns look like real guns or water-pistols, I'd still say airsoft.

I can wear what I like. I don't have to worry about bright pink and yellow paint stains spoiling my DPM, tri-cam jeans or whatever else I decide to wear.

Cost however, is the main factor. Ammunition for airsoft is next to nothing - I usually spend £8 on 3-5000 rounds.

Paintball? That £8 wouldn't even cover 50 rounds at the sites near me. And then you have to take in fees for the sites - again, round where I am, airsoft always comes out far cheaper.

To be completely honest, that paintball M4 looks weird anyway, the magwell and magazine looks kinda funky (and not in the good 'funkaaaay' way either)

You ask whether manufacturers should look to new internals and ammunition?

I'm divided on this. Innovation can be both useful, and a curse.

Look at Top's new shell ejecting M4. The reason it costs so much (what, like £500+ isn't it?) is all the time, effort and money that TOP put into designing and making it (I don't care whether it works or not in the end, that's the sole reason, they need to break even)

Ammunition? I dunno. I think it would take a hell of a lot to convert people to new airsoft ammunition. For starters - would you need new internals/gun to use it? The cost of it? Practicality? I'm doubtful that a new ammunition would succeed.

But I digress as usual. (Did I ever tell you about the time that I was a professional digresser?) It would take an awful lot to make me switch the paintball.

Innovation is all good and well, but if no-one is willing to pay for it...

First off, all airsoft guns will eventually become pretty much identical in looks and operation to real steel - bolts, case ejection etc.

After that, I think the only real progression for airsoft weapons is improved stock accuracy at the same FPS. A new, better hop up or clever rifling will be the next natural step.

I think if a new, better ammo type was brought out that was the same price, worked in current systems, and was accepted by the community as "legal" or acceptable or whatever, then it would be used.

Airsoft will remain in a better league than paintball for a long time to come, mainly due to price.

• Supporters

Changing the internals of the Airsoft guns we have would be silly and impractical

Howether a new elite Airsoft gun lets say a new line of sniper rifle that load like real gun(ish) with a 6mm small built like round using the GBB or bolt and good rifled barrel would mean you can shoot longer and more accurately

Change the mag, loading, barrel and use the same fire system and outer shell and you have a hole new line of gun :)

As for making money in 2003 Marui declared sales of $4.69 billion US and i cant see it costing them £200 to make each gun on mass

But im with all of you Airsort forever i just think its time to think about updating the technology ;)

• Supporters

Well to be fair airsoft guns get new ideas all the time.

I mean, we used to have external gas tanks and stuff with classic airsoft, sun project, asahi and the like.

Then we had aegs with for the last 15-20 years whch (admittantly) haven't changed much, but now theres the tm's hugely successful recoil shock range, kwa's upcoming ebbr's which will probably be bigger in the US and real swords electro magnetic recoil series in the works airsoft is changing a fair bit.

I'll also mention 'gas in mag' systems, WE, WA, KJW and others are also now hugely popular and I'd bet they will become even more so in the future.

I used to play a lot of golf, as you may know, the dimples on the balls let them go further, do.you think bb's could incorporate that in the future?

• Supporters
I used to play a lot of golf, as you may know, the dimples on the balls let them go further, do.you think bb's could incorporate that in the future?

It work on the Mythbusters golf ball car

mythbustersdimple_opt.jpg

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbuster...r-minimyth.html

Damn I really want to try this lol Nice idea

paintball guns are becoming more realisic like airsoft is, but due to the larger round that is used in paintball, not only does it hurt more and the paint makes it harder to cheat, the added fact that you get a much longer range and better accuracy with painballs.

but the downside is the fact that yes you can buy your own paintballs. but 80% of sites wont let you use your own balls, which you can buy at £20 for 2000, instead they force you to spend £5-£10 on 100 balls which is a blantent rip off.

so till sites sop being cunts, and paintball guns become cheaper (by about 75%) then airsoft in every aspect is going to win over paintball

This is all true but your missing the point of Paintball is rethinking and updating there guns as where Airsoft guns are more or less the same as when I 1st started playing about 7 years ago. Do you not think its time to rethink the design?

If it ain't broke don't fix it ;) still like the others have said airsoft guns are improving all the time.

From my depressing experiences of paintball I disagree with sheriff that paintball guns have more accuracy/range. I found I had to fire the guns like a mortar to hit anything at very short ranges.

Airsoft 4 life :lol:

It depends on the paintball gun ('marker' is the correct name I believe) you use.

Some can indeed have longer ranges and better accuracy than airsoft guns. However, from my own experience, these are usually very expensive (Like, £600+) - at least with airsoft, the majority of AEGs (regardless of whether they cost £100 or £1000) have good range out of the box.

There's also the problem that the majority of sites don't let you use your own guns, and force you to rent theirs...

yeah i was on about the mag fed paintball guns, i had a rap4 t68 mag fed, i brought it in a package deal (vest 8 mags tak and rifle) which set me back £700 and compared to my airsoft rifle there is hardly any varyation left and right in the wind. which isnt much to do about the gun more the fact that paintballs have more weight behind them so they get effected less by wind.

I had a p99 pistol aswell which used a smaller caliber round (i liked th fact that i had differnt cal rounds) .43/.68 are the two ball sizes. and again my paintball pistol was very accurate.

and if you really spend the money and get first strike ammo(too over priced to use) you get even better accurecy and over twice the range.

but the thing is, to get the same effect from paintball that yu get from airsoft is a price differce of abot 500quid. and even if you were to take a gn to a site, you are going to be the odd man out with a mag fed gun, while every one else either has a cyclone with a 30ball hopper or just alot of people with a huge ass hopper playing he game american style (srey and prey) so untill the day comes where the whole paitball market is of milsim replicas and where people in games use nothing but milsim rifles, paintball will never be equal to airsoft.

i will put my hands up and say, that if this was to happen then hell yeah i would happily switch to paintball, but thats just due to the fact that more paint, more range makes the thing more realistic, and the reason i like airsoft is because i like a realistic milsim experiance.

but the thing is, to get the same effect from paintball that yu get from airsoft is a price differce of abot 500quid. and even if you were to take a gn to a site, you are going to be the odd man out with a mag fed gun, while every one else either has a cyclone with a 30ball hopper or just alot of people with a huge ass hopper playing he game american style (srey and prey) so untill the day comes where the whole paitball market is of milsim replicas and where people in games use nothing but milsim rifles, paintball will never be equal to airsoft.

not alot of differnce to goign to a site with low/mid caps against people with high caps?

also the paint would make a mess of the gear i know the paint is washable but things like tac vests etc are harder to clean than shirt, trousers etc. also the guns with a normal marker being mostly smooth metal its easy to wipe down and clean but can you imagine the paint getting in all the small nooks and crannies in replica guns? horrid

as an ex-paintballer (who saw the light) I think that they would seriously have to re-do the entire game to make even an impact. Paintball has never been designed to be mil-sim in the slightest and the game types involve no skill what so ever its just kids shooting each other.

Although they have started to make an effort, thats one gun, think how many variations of M4s there are in airsoft let alone all the guns.

Another flaw with paintball is that if the paint doesn't explode you're not out. and when its cold they never explode so you can get shot multiple times before going out.

Also I would say paintballs are far less accurate then airsoft as they can easily get caught by the wind more and curve more (i shot a guy behind a barricade by curving a ball) and there is also the lack of a cheap full auto capacity and not to mention the cost of ammo.

At the site i used to play you could in theory bring your own but you had to use their gas and ammo and even said if you came back you couldn't re-use ammo from earlier games (say a week or two) because they change the paint colours and if you are shot by another colour it wouldn't count

I think its all just a big money making scam

There is also the issue with the clothing in the way that you have to wear boiler suits not decent webbing and the masks piss me off!

anyway thats my 2 pence worth

the site i went to (i too was a heavy paintbaler)

they would allow my own gun, but balls were £5 for 100. total rip of as i get 2000 for £20

i used my own clothing (at the time full dpm with rap4 tac vest)

now i didnt mind when paint got in the gun, as i always enjoyed taking the gun apart.

gas refils were always free so was never a hastle.

and never had the problem with balls not exploding, i mean you get the odd one or two, but nothing of a notible amount.

but as my point was before, i wasnt moaning about hoppers having a large cap like hi cap mags, i was more on about the fact paintball guns with hoppers are just terible, to just see some big bulky thing in the way or everything. constantly seeing people knock hoppers of of drop balls coz the cap fly open, funny but also anoying.

its like the whole arguement with football and rugby, football is a game of men played by boys, and rugby is a game of boys played by men, in this case paintball is football and airsoft is rugby

well said! I aslo found PB was nearly always CQB in the sense you never had snipers or anything and the maps were smaller also the close range limit thing

me and you must of had very differnt experiance then, coz where i went several people had sniper rifles loaded p with first strike, picking people of well out of range of standard PBs.

and we never had mch CQB was always a good 30-40a of woodland with the odd shed and wodden barrier.

and by no means am i saying paintball is better then airsoft jst so you guys know.

:D

Archived