New gun or new door stop

Bulld0g
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

im looking for an mgt of some kind without being to big so

my options were a src xm8 gen II (£155) with g36 2200 (£45) drum mag from tactical airsoft shop

a A&K m249 fixed stock ( approx £115+£50 p&p and another £30 downgraded spring as fps is 390) from ehobby asia, or if anyone knows where i can get a scar (the rifle not the injury)

for about £150 as my friend said he would sell me his m4 drum mag for £25

wanna know if they will last and if they aare good or if the end up like another door stop

(like my mp5)

Bulld0g

why not ? :blink:

• Supporters

My local site doesn't allow box mags in assault rifles, besides, they look stupid..

I would always like one just for those last stand sitchuations :D

Want a box mag, get one, play the way you want to play. You want a futuristic looking assault rifle, don't see whay a xm8 with a box mag would not do the trick. Couple it with some funky camo and bob's ya uncle.

No different than carrying 5 hicaps, and no way are you any less of an airsofter than someone who quotes "real players use mid caps" bollox at you.

play the way YOU want to play

Want a box mag, get one, play the way you want to play. You want a futuristic looking assault rifle, don't see whay a xm8 with a box mag would not do the trick. Couple it with some funky camo and bob's ya uncle.

No different than carrying 5 hicaps, and no way are you any less of an airsofter than someone who quotes "real players use mid caps" bollox at you.

play the way YOU want to play

Yes but being an arse to the other players by carrying more ammo than the Bismarck is not exatcly right is it? Why do you need a box mag? Airsoft is a Milatry Simulation and the only XM8 I have ever seen with a Box Mag is the LMG version and that melted itslef!

So maybe can you think of the other players? :P

personally i dont give a crap if some one uses a box mag on a AR, its just normally sites that dont always allow them so id say check with the site you intend on playing at and see if they allow you to, if so go nuts, if not then a load of hi caps will have to do.

I would say there isn't a lot of difference between having a LMG and an assault rifle with a box mag except price

• Supporters
I would say there isn't a lot of difference between having a LMG and an assault rifle with a box mag except price

Is the M249 and M60 not a higher rate of fire? :S

That's my point, airsoft is a military simulation game, if u want hugely unrealistic ammo capacities then surely this is the wrong game for you?

Actually, no it is not milsim, you want to play milsim then there are specific milsim events. These also have strict ammo limits, normally 600 rounds PER DAY, be that in a low cap, mid, hi or box mag, with limited snipers and support guners per side. You want to play airsoft then play airsoft.

Just because someone has a box mag does not mean they will use a huge stream of fire. Nothing wrong with using it in bursts or single shot. Airsoft is a lot about the look, and if he likes the look than its up to him. He can also use it like a support weapon and supress people while others advance.

Yes but being an arse to the other players by carrying more ammo than the Bismarck is not exatcly right is it? Why do you need a box mag? Airsoft is a Milatry Simulation and the only XM8 I have ever seen with a Box Mag is the LMG version and that melted itslef!

So maybe can you think of the other players? :P

Again, if you have someone supressing you what do you do, sit there? Or move back 10 yards and circle aroud them, or sit there and let them supress you while your firends circle around him.

How many rounds do you carry for a day at CS? Personally I carry around 3-4000 as I know I will be supporting others, as well as attacking myself, don't normally sue them all, but saves a walk to the car park. Not a lot of difference than a 2500 round box mag is there?

But read the last point, play the way YOU want to play, which also means don't dictate how others should play. Sites have rules, as long as it is within that then go for it. I could take a box mag to GZ urban, but as long as I am using single shot it is allowed, however I could not take it to CS urban as its low caps only, or Longmoor milsim as thats 600 rounds in low/mids for riflemen.

well if someone is using a drum mag for a support role than i see no issue a normal high cap holds 400-600 rounds which isnt too realistic if u wanna be realistic use 30 round mags but then you wont stand a chance at defending against groups of enemy's so i see no reason not to use a drum mag unless your using your gun for close/medium range

the only reason i was gonna get a box mag for a xm8 i was trying to replicate the lmg varient of it of course i would actually prefer a proper support gun but they are so expensive also the good thing about an Xm8 is that im a big fan of metal gear solid and my and my friends are trying to recreate the rat squad from it (me sadly being johnny) i can understand why box mags should be banned at sites for assault rifles as i have attend many events of which you are only aloud ONE high cap mag and if there was a guy balzing away bbs of course everyones gonna 'think what a pr1ck'!.

if you balze away bb's with a box mag on an assault rifle you'd better have deep pockets :D

also they're not that unrealistic as you can get them for assault rifles, seen a few real M16s with them

*cut for space reasons*

Go for it mate!

Unless you're playing milsim all the time, I see no reason why you shouldn't go for the XM8+box mag.

The XLM8 was/is a real weapon (although it never saw service beyond the US:DoD testing it) - what's more, it'll be unique. You'll have the image/appearance on the field (lets be honest, appearance seems to be one of the big things behind airsoft). It did indeed have the 100round drum mags, much like the H&K MG36 (...which also never saw widespread service, although if you find photos of the German special forces in Afghanistan, you'll notice quite a few have G36Cs with drum mags) So go for it if you really want to!

Anything else I'd say would purely be repeating what bigshep said. Trust me, as a support gunner myself, having lots of ammunition doesn't mean you'll do well. Nor does shooting in long bursts. You'll do far better (both game wise, and saving money on gun-maintenance bills) by firing on bursts, instead of loooong bursts of fire.

• Supporters

Johnny uses with the compact version of the M8...

Just sayin'!

Archived