ICS L85 double feed.

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Right folks,

I got my L85 a while ago and after having a bit of a fiddle here and there and doing a few bits of tweaking, I've noticed it now double feeds occasionally (well, a lot of the time actually, semi and full auto).

Internally, it's almost all stock parts, however I have countersunk the nozzle so that pellets sit in it more comfortably, to counteract the fact that there would be approximately .5-1mm more room in the hop unit, I then shaved approx .8mm off the tappet plate's front so it sits slightly further forward - meaning that there should still be the proper amount of room in the hop unit as before modification.

The barrel is stock. The hop unit has a softer rubber in, since I didn't particularly like the ICS one, as well as a big-out H nub (the hard one I believe).

I have cleaned and relubed everything, PTFE taped and greased all connecting points to minimise air loss, as well as all the standard other bits and bats (resizing the piston o-ring etc). The gearbox is insulated with foil tape to attempt to reduce the effects of shock and also to slightly reduce noise (which worked nicely).

I have been using ICS hicap magazines as supplied with the gun and ARES plastic 85 rounders, the problem exists in both.

I did a shot by shot comparison between the two brands of magazine, on semi, with the gun vertical (flashider was pointing into a piece of carpet). Each shot is separated by a comma (,), the number (either 1 or 2) is how many pellets came out of the gun per trigger pull on semi.

ICS hicap: 1,2,2,2,1,2,2,2,1,2,2,1,2,2,1,2,2,2,2,1

ARES mid: 2,1,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2

The ICS was double feeding noticeably more, however when the gun was held in standard fire position, the ICS fired as follows: 1,1,1,2,2,1,1,1,2,1,1,2

Could this be something to do with looseness in the magwell perhaps?

When the gun double feeds, the pellets exit the gun with much reduced velocity, but follows a very similar flight path for approximately twenty feet before they move apart (this may be of no use, but when I need a problem fixed, I like to give ALL the information I can).

Gearbox sounds very consistent shot by shot, I have checked the hop unit assembly and all is in order.

The ICS L85 is supposed to have a double feeding problem, as per the other thread on this forum, but I just want to check and see what people think before I start hacking my hop unit to pieces; I have a skirmish Friday and the last thing I want is for my gun to go down (although to be fair, I'd still happily run round with just my pistol all night).

Thanks.

I've rarely had doublefeeds with my LSW, although it does happen from time to time.

What does surprise me is that your magazines work, my ICS supplied (and aftermarket) hi-caps are practically useless, after 10-20 rounds I have to remove them then hit them against a hard surface before they feed again (yes, I have taken them appart to put them back together just incase they're broken, and the aftermarket ones were usless from the box)

Depending on your funds (and if you can find one), can I suggest you buy a spare (re:emergency) hop-up unit? So you can quickly replace your L85's hopup should your tinkering not supply the required results.

Ok boys, Hes a few tips to help stop misfeeds and Double feeds.

Mags, I used the ICS 450rd Hi-caps in my gun and had no problems with them, you need to oil them once in a while and never leave the full and welded up. Just spray a small bit of silicon oil at the bottom of the mag into the wheel. Or you can take them apart like i use to do.

As for the double feeds on the gun it self, I would highly recommend a heavier BB 0.25g or 0.28g is the best. Also a upgraded hop rubber is a must! this also give you more range but will help a lot with the double feed. I recommend either Madbull Blue hop rubber or a Systema hop rubber.

Hope this helps, let me know if its still doing to same I'll give you guys some more advance tips :)

• Supporters

Decided to open up my L85 tonight, swapped the hop rubber for the standard ICS one that was provided with the gun (harder than the TM ones).

The feed problem is exactly the same.

My gun could be slightly hot at present as I'm trying a new spring, could lowering the fps help at all?

Are madbull blue rubbers the hardest about, or is there something tougher?

Decided to open up my L85 tonight, swapped the hop rubber for the standard ICS one that was provided with the gun (harder than the TM ones).

The feed problem is exactly the same.

My gun could be slightly hot at present as I'm trying a new spring, could lowering the fps help at all?

Are madbull blue rubbers the hardest about, or is there something tougher?

No, The Blue one is a very soft rubber.

• Supporters

Tried using .25s in my ARES midcap today (don't have enough to do the hicap, never use them anyway). Not a single double feed out of 85 rounds.

I intend to switch to .25s anyway, but is there anything I can do that would minimise the problem on .2s as well so I have more reliable flexibility?

Cheers all!

Archived