...is airsoft slowly dying in the UK?

Tomson
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Its been 3 years since I last 'in-the-know' about airsoft, and back then outlets were always in stock...

3 years later, most outlets are out of stock of the most popular if not all airsoft weaponary (M4/G36/Glock 17) etc.

Is there:

A ) an import problem for UK buyers/distributors? and if so, why and is it likely to be lifted?

B ) is airsoft in the UK slowly dying and moving on? - that, i hope does not happen!

C ) am I being deluded and everything is fine! - hoping this is the option ;)

Please could someone shed some light on the situation as I am left here confused and feeling rather upset due to the sport being such a great hobby of mine.

Thank you.

Cheers for the fast reply guys!

Well this is it, I thought it was on the rise aswell! - certainly hear about it more now than the said 3 years ago!

But, I did hear not long ago that there was an issue with distributors being able to import Airsoft Guns.

Good to know its not on its way out!

• Supporters

I generally find that actually the guns just get bought quickly...

Firesupport sold at least nine VFC 416's in the last week. Those aren't cheap and cheerful "oh I fancy a cheap gun for the collection" AEGs...

Guns being out of stock is mostly noticable with the chinese made ones.

Around the time of the Olympics, the Chinese government had a hard clampdown on airsoft manufacturing (which is very illegal in China). It wasn't until last year that stock of stuff like JG really started to drop down - theres only a limited number of the guns and it takes a fair bit of time for the factories to relocate and re-start - especially if (like JG) their mouldings have been confiscated and destroyed.

i know what you mean about the out of stocks ! its a massive joke tbh

It is! - everything is out of stock, Ive been in University for 3 years, not been able to get involved much at all with the sport, come back and really eager to get involved...and boom, no guns, no kit and everything has gone up in price lol! (expected to be honest with the price)

JG, cyma and others had to shut down for a while, which stopped cheap entry level weapons (not saying they are bad, in fact some are damn good) However SRC stepped in with their gen3 range, G&P have a range of sub £200 guns and cyma came back with a cracking range of full metal AEG's. A lot of airsoft compaines have lots of stuff on their website, much of which is out of stock. I thinks it because they cannot afford to stock 20 of everything, so the guns come in in batches. The batches also work if sellers are sharing shipping crates, customs duty and the like, so guns hit the country in waves. Spares always seem to be an issue and to be honest it is cheaper and quicker for me to order something like a piston from honk kong than wait for a uk shipper to get it.

New brands hit the shelves, cybergun (which is the new JG I think), and ASG are two to mention

As to players. Thats on the up, more people playing, more sites opening. Some sites close, but more spring up.

As to kit, ebay is your friend. Masses of kit, be it army surplus, molle, gucci or whatever, ebay is your friend!

I'm amazed if it is growing, with the annoying VCR laws, the inflated prices, shrinking wages and such.

One thing which might be good for building numbers would be the availability of quality springers in the form of old bolt-action rifles. The snipers are overpriced and often have no iron sights. I'd love to buy a replica mauser98 bolt action for a reasonable price (£370 for a single shot springer is just disgusting)

How do people afford the 200+ guns?

I'm amazed if it is growing, with the annoying VCR laws, the inflated prices, shrinking wages and such.

One thing which might be good for building numbers would be the availability of quality springers in the form of old bolt-action rifles. The snipers are overpriced and often have no iron sights. I'd love to buy a replica mauser98 bolt action for a reasonable price (£370 for a single shot springer is just disgusting)

How do people afford the 200+ guns?

some people have higher paying jobs but i get the feeling alot are younger and live with parents still so have more disposable income compared to those who rent/own their own place

I'm amazed if it is growing

Certainly is, i see more and more people going to proper skirmish days now and i believe this is down to the vcra and people wising up about the law so instead of taking their guns onto some random piece of woodland where they can get f****d over they are coming to designated sites instead.

Just look at the ammount of paintball sites that are either converting over to airsoft or at least open parts of their site to airsoft, this wouldnt happen if it wasnt growing as its pointless expanding into something if its not going to pay.

Plus has anyone else noticed that when you tell someone your into airsoft a lot more people are actually aware of what it is now rather than having to tell them "oh its like paintball but much cooler without the paint"

Certainly is, i see more and more people going to proper skirmish days now and i believe this is down to the vcra and people wising up about the law so instead of taking their guns onto some random piece of woodland where they can get f****d over they are coming to designated sites instead.

Plus has anyone else noticed that when you tell someone your into airsoft a lot more people are actually aware of what it is now rather than having to tell them "oh its like paintball but much cooler without the paint"

i think you will be seeing quite a few people who before the vcra were just collectors but now they go airsoft to become ukara so they dont have to buy 2tone

and while its more widly known, alot of people ive asked about it only really know it as the game with pretend guns and grown men running around playing dress ups and that it doesnt hurt as much as paintball which is always abit annoying lol

You can say that about paintball though, eitehr way people can finish the argument by saying "you like to play with guns, then join the army"

I only enjoy proper millsim paintballing, but its hard to find a milsim nly game, as you still get the hand full of people who have the huge hoppers and just lay mass amount of paint in the air, and just play it like speedball, its kinda anoying. only reason i dont still paintball is coz my gun cost me 700quid my ammo cost £20 for 2000, and if i want to get sniper rounds thats a further £5 for 8 shots, which is a tad much.

i know what you mean about the out of stocks ! its a massive joke tbh

Hi guys, Ive just recently started to sell airsoft gear, and I have no problem getting anything you want. There have been some mergers and acquisitions last year and some of the companies like Inokatsu are in transition phases. My supplier here in the UK was bought by cybergun last year. For them it meat having more stock available at any time. So from my side there are no issues.

Lots of small companies like mine have problems with importing because lots of guns shoot over the ukara limit, hence making them only available for importers who have a RFD license.

Hope this help.

Any question please ask.

rb :)

You can say that about paintball though, eitehr way people can finish the argument by saying "you like to play with guns, then join the army"

I only enjoy proper millsim paintballing, but its hard to find a milsim nly game, as you still get the hand full of people who have the huge hoppers and just lay mass amount of paint in the air, and just play it like speedball, its kinda anoying. only reason i dont still paintball is coz my gun cost me 700quid my ammo cost £20 for 2000, and if i want to get sniper rounds thats a further £5 for 8 shots, which is a tad much.

Hi mate if you need First strikes let me know I can get you some major discounts.

rb

No need i gave Up with paintball now, sold my gun and put it towards my airsoft gear.

Archived