CustomGrips.co.uk wood-grip review.

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I decided to make a new thread, just because I didn't want to double post, or edit my other post, and I feel these actually deserve some real attention.

On Monday, Jeandup, or just Jean got in touch with me on here to ask if I'd review some grips for him, he'd already sent me one set of grips -

Grip_9.jpg

- which get raved at wherever I go as being pretty much the most beautiful things on the planet, I've not yet found a set of grips which make me challenge people when they tell me I have the best.

So I was more than happy to have a go at a second set.

They arrived today, I haven't pictured the envelope as it's as you'd expect an envelope to be, as in, it contained things. Things of wonderment and brilliance my friends, like the one ring from Tolkeins classic novel, these things make me want to be all Gollumesque and just start whispering sweet lullabies to my 1911.

Within the envelope, the display box they're in was wrapped in a polythene sandwich bag (the real name for those bags with the air and water tight seals that you press together escapes me).

DSC_0068.jpg

The box itself hasn't changed much, except it has "customgrips.co.uk" bottom center, it looks classy but not overdone, just how Finius likes his boxes.

DSC_0069.jpg

But what's this, I hear you say! The box appears to be wearing some sort of bracelet! Why yes it does friends!

Turning over the box, I was surprised to find this:

DSC_0070.jpg

It's not much, just a laser engraved tag with Custom Grips on, but, whilst it quite rightly isn't much, it's a lot. It elevates the feeling of quality you're seeing, I like it, even if it serves no purpose (the string does, it keeps the lid on in the post); it's an extra little piece that says to me "the guy who made these cares about getting everything 100%".

Now friends! Let us journey, into the depths of this display box! Upon opening the box, you are presented with this (ignore the lid on the left, we're on about the right-half):

DSC_0071.jpg

Upon removing everything from the box, I had these:

DSC_0072.jpg

One small bottle on boiled-linseed-oil

One cloth, presumably suited to safeguard against the combustability of said linseed oil

One piece of steel wool type stuff (not pictured, bagged with the cloth)

One pair of latex gloves, again, for use with the linseed oil

One pair of wood grips, with foam guards

The maintenance supplies are fairly standard, the linseed oil has been labelled, which is nice:

DSC_0075.jpg

Moving swiftly on. The grips are like the David (as in the sculpture, not the local white van man) of the pistol grip world. Let's take a look shall we.

The front of the grips are finished nicely, very crisp engraving and the other texture work is near perfect. There's no dings or flaws anywhere, they feel nice and they're generally perfect. All the edges are very nicely rounded off with no chips. The wood is definitely of good quality.

DSC_0083.jpg

Here's how the laser engraving looks close up:

DSC_0084.jpg

As sharp as a drunken maths teachers tongue.

Upon turning the grips over, I found the following surprise:

DSC_0086.jpg

Trademarks! Finius loves himself some trademarks! They're clean, well engraved and again, show some pride in the work that's been undertaken.

I neglected to photograph the rear mounting holes on the grips, but mine were nice and loose, with the screw-holes spot on in the middle, this means that the grips should fit literally ANY 1911 mountings, no matter how big or small, as the grips are adjusted into position by the screw itself, not the mounting holes. The only thing I did note was that to get a nice fit for the screws I had to dremel out .5mm round the edges of each hole, the screws would have gone through I think, but I was just paranoid about splitting the grips before I'd completed the review.

And finally, here's two pictures of them mounted to my pistol:

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

Real colouration may vary from what you see unless your monitor has been specifically set-up for print/photo editing purposes.

• Supporters

Wow, these look amazing, excellent job Jean!

I now wish I didn't get a TM Glock 17, wanting a 1911 now..

Finius, Thanks for a great review.

I do take a lot of pride in what I do.

Regarding the bottom holes, yes, they are a bit larger than usual, but like you say, that is to make sure they are more compatible to different makes of 1911's.

Was it the screw thread that were tight of the screw head, where you say you had to adjust.

The csrews I use , fits very easially.

If it is the thread, I will adjust all my grips to make them more compatible.

These are the sort of comments I need, Thanks for the honoust review !

Regarding the post with the night Hawk - I can customise these grips in any way you want, so get creative and contact me !!

Also. They will seem loose untill the screws locate, and once screwed in , they are rock solid !

The are all test fitted to a KJ Works 1911.

I will selling a few pairs under the parts and gear section soon.

This will be 15% cheaper than my usual rate as it is an intrductory offer.

Any questions, feel free to contact me.

Also, feel free to visit the site and get creative.

There is a template to download and you can even draw your own design which I can the engrave, check it out

• Supporters

Sent a request to Jean just now for a set of custom grips - and a fairly different request at that, they'll get a review once they've been made :) (I'm paying for them this time, just incase anyone is worried that I'm being "bribed" to endorse his stuff, I'm not, Finius pays his way!)

Just a note to anyone who buys a set.

If you are not happy with any aspect of the grips I will accept returns and give full refunds if the grips is unused and unmarked.

This applies to the ready made sets. I can also sent out blank sets before customising if you want ti test fit first

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I've just checked my emails and Jean has sent me the "plans" for my custom request set.

They're very special, very very special. I'm looking forward to reviewing them, but may need to buy a new 1911 just to match their awesomeness...

If they come out in wood as good as they look on a screen, they're going to be the most amazing things ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more improvements.

Centre of holes are now slightly larger to accomodate larger threat screws.

They are no longer loose untill screws locate.

When you put them on the pistol they locate very positively, even without the screws in place.

I now use diamondwood ( also known as pakkawood ) This is the ideal material for grips.

It is basically layers of ply impregnated with polymers.

This makes it dimentionally stable, very hard and waterproof, to the extend than you can even stick these in the dishwasher !

THey also look fantastic.

Finius, you set is trimmed and will be laser engraved on monday.

If you liked what you have seen so far, you will be blown away by this.

I have 9 different colours ready and will pm you so you can make your choice.

Will post some pics soom.

Archived