n00b Sniper

THE PREDATOR
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

Don't know wether this is in the right forum category so could someone move it if it's not, thanks, appreciated :)

I am looking to buy my first airsoft gun so that I can go and have fun at airsoft events in my area,

I have been reading a lot about airsoft guns so I am fairly educated in the subject but have very little practical experience.

My main interest lies in sniping and I have been looking at some rifles in my price range:

VSR 10 - Can't find this anywhere !

VSR 11 - Clone of vsr 10 looks very decent :)

L96 - Most favoured of these due to its realistic weight and velocity w/o reducer :P

Could you comment on these or recommend a rifle that could be upgraded in the future if I wanted to get more pro.

Thanks guys

• Supporters

If its your first gun I strongly recommend staying away from Sniper rifles.

You will need a good £450+ to have a decent snioer rifle

It might help u to read the guide in my Sig

• Supporters

The l96.... there's about 5 makes of l96's.... first off if u have to snipe get the VSR 10 its the best by a mile.

Any sniper rifle will need a lot of upgrading to be good anyway.

@kieron power doesnt make that much of a difference in airsoft

It is to my understanding that the more velocity you have the range that you are effective at is increased and range being an important part of sniping could mean that this is an upside :) Just a shot in the dark there seen as you have a lot more experience than me :)

I believe you my dear boy, need to do a grammer check before posting and you are wrong in stating most sniper rifles need to be upgraded to be any good. Most are shooting good range and good power from stock without any upgrades.

Yes that may be true, but what you arent getting is that power doesnt mean much and is definitely doesnt mean range! theres a whole load of reasons why, i dont want to say why. you can understand that a VSR 10 with a new hop can shoot 280fps and further than a 500 fps Well sniper rifle with no upgrades

the bb effectively glides along and it will get stronger and stronger, the heavier bb used. also, unless you know gravity like the back of your hand, sniping is going to be hard without any decent money put into the gun. you really need a rifle that gets like...what? 180 feet range as a minimum target.

i say DMR's are much better personally because i assume that you wont like sniping at all, a DMR saves money meaning you wont have to sell it after you find out Marksman was correct :P get an SR25 or just an M16A2 and you will be very happy trust me...

Thanks for the advice it cleared a few things up :) I will start looking at DMRs but if I was to get one of the snipers listed would it be good to get the vsr 10 or the UTG L96?

DO NOT GET A SNIPER RIFLE!

You WILL need atleast £300 to ever outrange a stock AEG by a few meters.

Kieron is not right, They do not have good range stock. My slighty upgraded M4 DMR can out range most sniper rifles at CSW.

DO NOT GET A SNIPER RIFLE!

You WILL need atleast £300 to ever outrange a stock AEG by a few meters.

Kieron is not right, They do not have good range stock. My slighty upgraded M4 DMR can out range most sniper rifles at CSW.

Sorry to be picky but could you quote the gun it is out ranging?

And is it hitting with the same accuracy as the sniper?

Sorry to be picky but could you quote the gun it is out ranging?

And is it hitting with the same accuracy as the sniper?

Nearly all good qulity AEG's will outrange a stock sniper rifle, My rifle is a G&G GR16 with a Madbull python 6.03 tightbore & MadBull Red shark Hop-Up rubber firing at 350 FPS.

• Supporters

sorry about my grammar and spelling etc in my previous post- i was basically asleep, ill tidy it up after this

Kieron- what are you smoking?

Ok basic info about sniping:

Best base rifle out of the lot VSR-10, great gun but much like any sniper rifle, it WILL need upgrading out of the box. A good one will end up costing over £400 to be worth using otherwise it will be outrangered by assault rifles which defeats the point in sniping

In airsoft power doesnt mean much, range comes from the barrel and hop-up (obviously 100 extra fps will increase your range but not by much) a well set hop up with a good bucking and nub with a decent inner barrel will out range something with a higher fps but none of these things- Why are tokyo marui guns so good, they come stock at 280-300 fps and will still out range a chinese clone shooting 450fps.

Obviously your new to airsoft, im not trying to sound harsh or put you off, but sniping for new people can get very very boring and it is hugely expensive to get a rifle worth having

The l96's apart from the tokyo marui and maruzen are generally shite. You can upgrade them but its like polishing a turd, at the end of the day its still a turd.

If you want any more info just let us know :)

• AF-UK Founding Member

'n00b sniper' says it all. Sniping in airsoft is a different affair to anything like Call of Duty if that is what you were thinking.

You'll be much better of getting an AEG for starters as it means you can get stuck in and actually enjoy it. If you're really not sure that is for you, then go to a site and rent a couple of times. This way you'll figure out what you like, and if you're over 18 you will start to build up a defence so that you can buy a RIF.

• Supporters

by the way, when u upgrade, dont just whack in a big high fps spring, the sears will break and it wont function properly, replace the sears or by a zero trigger- the latter is better :)

a new barrel would be great, pdi make the best

nineball hop rubber i think is the best

you'll probably want a new piston and piston head etc

teflon cylinder maybe?....

oh yeah, definitely barrel spacers, these reduce vibrations in the barrel and thus increase accuaracy

by the way, when u upgrade, dont just whack in a big high fps spring, the sears will break and it wont function properly, replace the sears or by a zero trigger- the latter is better :)

a new barrel would be great, pdi make the best

nineball hop rubber i think is the best

you'll probably want a new piston and piston head etc

teflon cylinder maybe?....

oh yeah, definitely barrel spacers, these reduce vibrations in the barrel and thus increase accuaracy

Wow that's great thanks ;)

I'll write all this down and start building up all the parts I need ;) It's like building my computer over again :P

Why does every new player try to buy a sniper?

you'll only get around 15 extra meters (whilst using .2's, also the quality of your hop will change this figure) with a 500fps sniper compared to an AEG of 340 FPS. If you want to actually be able to hit anything, you'll need to spend £400+ on the sniper and upgrades, then £80 to £150 on a pistol + spare mags. In your mind you'll be picking people off from afar, but in reality you are only firing small plastic balls, at very short range. the extra 150 FPS limit given to snipers on most sites wont allow you to take 1km shots.

• Supporters

because most of them think they will become uber 1337 like on COD

but seriously, movies and games make sniping look really cool and make you look the best but in reality its not like that

you'll only get around 15 extra meters (whilst using .2's, also the quality of your hop will change this figure) with a 500fps sniper compared to an AEG of 340 FPS. If you want to actually be able to hit anything, you'll need to spend £400+ on the sniper and upgrades, then £80 to £150 on a pistol + spare mags. In your mind you'll be picking people off from afar, but in reality you are only firing small plastic balls, at very short range. the extra 150 FPS limit given to snipers on most sites wont allow you to take 1km shots.

My thoughts exactly!

Well I have always had an interest is sniping and the history of sniping and so when I went to go and spectate a game I figured it would be pretty neat to buy one just for fun. I'm not in it to win it, just to have a laugh, so I am asking you a question now... Why do some people assume that I want to play professionally rather than just have a bit of fun?

I don't think you are understanding that I want this rifle to have a bit of fun in the garden or maybe just go to an event and see what it's like.

Also I find that so far everyone is against sniper rifles because they own a gun that has a greater range/power. Good for you, go pro and spend ultra amounts of money on your stuff but don't put someone down because they want a bit of fun.

the biggest problem i found when i had a go on my mates l96 ages ago was that most people wont call there hits unless they have just been completly peppered on full auto, which makes bolt actions a no go straight away!

i am a firm beliver in if you want the look of a sniper get a m14 with scope and bipod exelent range straight out of the box plus you get the (sort of) looks of a sniper and full auto capability.

Archived