Your Rig...

THE PREDATOR
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm going to try and head over to one of the airfields (It's f*cking miles away

Don't go to the main north airfield :P

Lots of gun loot, no food or water XD Been a while since i've been on it but im stuck there with 3 nice guns and dying of starvation XD

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't go to the main north airfield :P

Lots of gun loot, no food or water XD Been a while since i've been on it but im stuck there with 3 nice guns and dying of starvation XD

Fair one. I'll try and find some beans and water bottles first.

As an aside, what's peoples views on this setup?

The tower I have already, it's my old fujistu-siemens tower along with the DVD drive it came with, so there's a bit of cash saved already.

Total cost of these is £511.41

I think I can probably find cheaper, but that's the best I've got so far, and I haven't even factored in a copy of Windows yet...

Today, as a prelude to my new build project, I opened up my PC tower:

IMG_1271_zpsffd0863f.jpg

to see what was inside. This is what I found:

IMG_1273_zpsc7ba40f2.jpg

Bit blurred I know. I removed the CPU fan and took a better pic:

IMG_1277_zps51bbda22.jpg

Looks a bit dated maybe (I was impressed to see an Asus MB), but I'm wondering if I could put new parts on it considering it's from 2005. I'm thinking Better RAM, New CPU and GPU and an SSD, with the HDD pictured formatted and used as simple data storage.

If it's possible to do it, then this would save a lot of money that could be used to buy better parts...

The MB has SATA sockets too.

Also a new PSU, that goes without saying, the one in the pics is only 350W.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Honestly you'd be so much better off building fresh. Trying to find parts to fit that won't be easy at all. Build fresh and you won't be disappointed, it's worth the cash.

Today, as a prelude to my new build project, I opened up my PC tower:

Looks a bit dated maybe (I was impressed to see an Asus MB), but I'm wondering if I could put new parts on it considering it's from 2005. I'm thinking Better RAM, New CPU and GPU and an SSD, with the HDD pictured formatted and used as simple data storage.

If it's possible to do it, then this would save a lot of money that could be used to buy better parts...

The MB has SATA sockets too.

Also a new PSU, that goes without saying, the one in the pics is only 350W.

Bin it and start again, seriously. Go for a SATA 3 SSD as well. Noticeably faster!

I'm converting to SSD as I've heard how good they are, the HDD will be a data/backup drive.

Based on the level of advice I've had here, I'll start fresh. Already got a parts list so I'll just add a MB to it.

I'm ok to use the tower as a chassis though aren't i?

Cheers guys, there will be more questions.

I'm converting to SSD as I've heard how good they are, the HDD will be a data/backup drive.

Based on the level of advice I've had here, I'll start fresh. Already got a parts list so I'll just add a MB to it.

I'm ok to use the tower as a chassis though aren't i?

Cheers guys, there will be more questions.

Yea good, but you listed a SATA II SSD instead of a SATA III one (OCZ Agility for example) that your new mobo will support :)

Ah I get you, mate. Still got a lot to learn in this.

You're doing well it's a lot to take in :) So rewarding when you look at your newly built PC!

One tries. I'll hopefully have the new build by mid week, as soon as I've decided on the parts and got them delivered.

You might want to think about a new case. That mobo will not fit in that case. You would need a Mini-atx not a full sized one.

Personally i'd just get a new case. Doesn't have to be an expensive one, but make sure its roomy :)

Makes building so much easier when you have a nice roomy case.

Problem with the newer graphics cards are they're getting quite long and might not fit in some cases as well.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Agreed. Some of the cheap Coolermaster ones at £30 are really pretty decent. If you want something a bit more garish then they can be had cheap too but might be a bit more rough round the edges - I do mean literally too, watch your hands :lol:

Agreed. Some of the cheap Coolermaster ones at £30 are really pretty decent. If you want something a bit more garish then they can be had cheap too but might be a bit more rough round the edges - I do mean literally too, watch your hands :lol:

Yeah, I got a few little nicks when I striped my old Dell tower down last week. Now there was a crappy setup inside.

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!

The parts were ordered. They arrived. I got to work and now.... It lives! My first build is a rousing success.

I eventually settled on:

AMD 3.something Ghz x6 core processer

ASUS M9 A97 Motherboard

Corsair 600w PSU

Corsair 16GB DDR3 RAM

1GB XFX 5870 GPU

A flashy ATX gaming case

24x speed DVD-RW

As for Data storage I settled for the old hard drives from my old PCs, formatted using DBAN and re-installed with windows 7. I will upgrade to SSD next month. As for weather I re-download ArmA 2/DayZ again... Depends how impatient I get, I hear the SA could be out very soon (depending on how the closed test release goes).

Total cost of build: £600, give or take. This includes the copy of Windows 7 I had to buy too.

And yes, I have that Man-stuff smug grin of satisfaction on my face.

Nice.

First build is always a satisfying one.

Now just wait a while and you'll be fussing about this and that and wanting to spend endless amounts of money on it XD

Had my PC just over a year and already planning about £500 worth of upgrades XD

Oh I'm all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Already planning on a better GPU and better ancils...

• 2 months later...

i5 3570K CPU

GA-Z77X-D3H MO-BO

HIS IceQX Radeon 7850 GPU

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz RAM

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

OCZ 600W PSU

Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Case

I'd say these are mid-range specs and I get a not bad / good performance out of most games out now (such as ArmA III on High -well it's the Alpha-, BF3 on Ultra etc < they're probably the most demanding games I'd say, others games I play often are APB Reloaded and GMod so in comparison not very demanding) but my PC + Windows 7 OS + 80 pound monitor still cost 877 pounds in total so could've probably got it for cheaper (I built myself too so should've saved some money)

• 2 weeks later...

this is a bit of a necro post, but better than starting a new thread.

I have been toying with the idea of making a new PC capable of running supreme commander 1/2, dayz (warz if it becomes any better), world in conflict, and the upcoming planetary annihilation. I want it to start off with the minimum of the best quality components, and then upgrade as we go.

I was thinking of these as a base:

http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-intel-gamer-bundle--includes-p8z77-v-lx--intel-core-i7-3770k---8gb-corsair-vengeance-lp-memory--8H87.html

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-h80i-hydro-series-extreme-performance-cpu-cooling-8D8S.html?prev=8H87&src=14

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-054-EN&adword=google/pla/PUP_Components_Power_Supplies/Enermax/CA-054-EN/&pup_ptid=45765695915&pup_kw=&pup_c=pla&gclid=CLil6ZK5pLYCFUbMtAodPT4A1Q

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-carbide-series-200r-compact-atx-case-8D00.html

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-500gb-840-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-8BNY.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_content=Q200&origin=pla

what else will I need, and can I skimp out on any of the products (e.g. going a couple of years back, if they still provide acceptable performance)

Where's your graphics card :P

Do you seriously need that much SSD? Get a 120GB SATA III SSD and then a SATA III HDD.

Also stay away from WarZ :P

Where's your graphics card :P

Do you seriously need that much SSD? Get a 120GB SATA III SSD and then a SATA III HDD.

Also stay away from WarZ :P

I was planning to keep away from warz, but I hope that in the years to come updates might make it slightly better,

forgot entirely about the graphics card, any recommendations? cheaper the better lol.

I thought the Solid State Drives were supposed to be more efficient (faster loading times, better storage efficiency)?

I'm kinda out of date, laptop I'm using is using is 3 years old, and our desktop we brought with us from pakistan about a decade ago lol

SSD's are great, but all that price when it should be going into a better GPU :P

120GB will do you fine, with windows, and key programs running off the SSD, and other stuff off a 1 or 2TB HDD.

If you wan't to play DayZ, cheap isnt really an option, plus getting that 1st mobo/CPU bundle a cheap GPU makes it seem a bit redundant. Its like buying a Ferrari and putting a 1.2L engine in it.

Looking for about £200 for a GPU. Not really sure about AMD since i've not kept track of their products, but they usually are the best performance / cash ratio.

Nvidia you're looking at a 560, 570, 580, 650, 660.

I have a 580 and it runs ARMA2, DayZ, and ARMA3 very smoothly on High graphics. Although the 5XX series are not being discontinued now the 6XX series is out.

Its not the game that makes WarZ bad, its their entire business ethos, where they want to drag all your money out of you and then don't give a toss about you.

SSD's are great, but all that price when it should be going into a better GPU :P

120GB will do you fine, with windows, and key programs running off the SSD, and other stuff off a 1 or 2TB HDD.

If you wan't to play DayZ, cheap isnt really an option, plus getting that 1st mobo/CPU bundle a cheap GPU makes it seem a bit redundant. Its like buying a Ferrari and putting a 1.2L engine in it.

Looking for about £200 for a GPU. Not really sure about AMD since i've not kept track of their products, but they usually are the best performance / cash ratio.

Nvidia you're looking at a 560, 570, 580, 650, 660.

I have a 580 and it runs ARMA2, DayZ, and ARMA3 very smoothly on High graphics. Although the 5XX series are not being discontinued now the 6XX series is out.

Its not the game that makes WarZ bad, its their entire business ethos, where they want to drag all your money out of you and then don't give a toss about you.

so something like these then:

http://www.dabs.com/products/sandisk-128gb-ssd-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-870X.html?q=SSD&src=16

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004HBAGSO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007UOW818&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1X6E7QVRM3W8G7TD0EBW

http://www.dabs.com/products/amd-a10-5800k-3-8ghz-fm2-4mb-100w-black-edition-89K7.html?q=GPU&src=16

http://www.dabs.com/products/amd-a10-5800k-3-8ghz-fm2-4mb-100w-black-edition-89K7.html?q=GPU&src=16

http://www.dabs.com/products/gigabyte-geforce-gt-640-1050mhz-2gb-pci-express-3-0-hdmi-86HQ.html?q=graphics%20card&src=16

Recommend starting a new thread as i can see this getting busy :P

A 640 wont be able to run ARMA/DayZ.

It barely pulls 30fps on BF3 on LOW settings @1080p

I'd reccomend something like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-660-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-993mhz-boost-1059mhz-cores-960-dp-2x-dl-dvi-hd

SSD seems fine although i'd go for a Corsair one personally. SSDs are great but they can be quite temperamental.

HDD fine but can be found cheaper.

Check out Scan.co.uk, Aria.co.uk, Overclockers.co.uk etc.

I can imagine this getting unreasonably expensive, somewhere between a PTW and a brand new ford mustang lol.

Lol yeah. My PC cost me £1500, and I'm planning £800 worth of upgrades :P

Archived