Your Rig...

THE PREDATOR
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Upgrade the 550w PSU to at least 650w, otherwise when you might lack with an I7 build and a performance rig you want 650w

also with that bundle look at the individual parts and you will save about £40 thats just how bundles are, litterly just copy paste the parts form the description into the search bar.

GPU wise, a 650 (£80-£100 mark) is pretty good performance for an entry level card, looking back a few generations the price is still the same.

or you can get a GPU which can handle most games such as a GT660 (price start at £150)

SSD's you want only for software, and OS. so 120-240 is ample, or you can get a hybrid PCI storage device for the same price as a 240gb ssd.

The first people I tell people when they say they want to build a good gaming PC, I simply say, "how much do you want to spend" With PC's you can get good performance for pretty cheap, but PCs being what they are you can also do better. So you can pretty much always get good performance from every price point.

Any way, here is my rig, Soon to be mothballed into a server. Just waiting on the new parts to get delivered.

121228-133754_zpsbaf0411a.jpg

Parts;

CPU - AMD FX quad core (over clocked to 4Ghz)

Mobo - Biostar AM3

Ram - 8GB G-skill Ram

PSU - Corsair 650w

GPU - GTX450

HDD - Seagate Baracude 1TB

I also have a 15 TB HDD bank, as well as 2 hot swap bays (making use of my old SSD's that I have laying about, make good for backing up files)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'll be holding off for a few months, I think about September ish (hopefully I'll be starting uni and bursary will be coming through). Should give me just under £2000 to play with.

well, with any luck, the new stuff from intel will be out. And £2000 will build a bad ass machine.
Friend just built an editing computer which came to under £2000, and thats with a 6core I7 64gb ram and a 660 (Being n editing PC, dont really need to focus much on the GPU)

Mmm just found this pic of my PC.

Looks rather... Matrix-y. Might put the cathode tubes back in :P

bVMoSUV.jpg

Cold cathods are rubbish, they after time they middle of the cathode becomes dimmer than the ends. If you want awesome lighting, buy strips of EL wire from amazon for like £5 a strip, you can either re-wire it to run from your PSU or keep the standard battery box for it and mouse it in the 3.5 drive. much better look, doesnt glare like leds and cathodes and gives you perfect lighting.

(If you dont know what EL wire is, just go and watch the latest tron. its what lights up their suits.)

I know they're cheap, but the tubes works fine :P

Would consider the EL cables if i were to start working on my PC again.

CBA atm though.

EL wire is a godsend, I have so much of the stuff its unreal, Its good for making props, and works well with computers too. I even have some around my tv as a backlighting aswell in my bedroom and running along my hallway. Its pretty sweet stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I upgraded my computer... And it was a big one! Now running and Asus P8Z77-V Mobo with an Intel i7-3770k. An upgrade of about £400! It was fun rebuilding my entire PC. Full specs below:

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V

CPU: Intel i7-3770K 3.5GHz

GPU: NVidia GTX-670 2GB (Palit)

PSU: CiT 650W

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM System Drive - 3TB 7200RPM Data Drive

Network: Asus WiFi-GO - TP Link Wireless Card

PCI: Firewire 400 Card

Audio: Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 - Alesis IO26

Headset: Tritton AX Pro

Microphones: Blue Yeti - Behringer C-2 - Samson C02 - Shure SM57 - Rode NTG2

I know I could use a better PSU but it's done me good for over a year now, which I am happy with. I'm using less power now I'm on an Intel CPU too. AMD used way more wattage. The next upgrade will probably be a better speed and branded RAM. Right now I'm using generic unbranded cheap stuff. After that the only thing I can think about upgrading would be the Hard Drive. I could do with a SDD system drive to get those super quick boot up and operating speeds.

I am absolutely loving the Intel CPU. Seriously it's nuts! I've been trying my best to make it scream but it's simply not happening. Rendering a HD video for 20 mins (the videos were actually 40 mins in length), playing demanding games, multitaking. This CPU did not give a sh*t. It just sat there chilling like "s'up bro, I done that thing you asked me to do" and was silent as the grave the whole time. Didn't think Intel CPUs would be this good, I am pleasantly surprised.

intel 3770k

patriot intel extreme masters 8gb 1600mhz

corsair 600w power supply

silverstone rv03 case

gigabyte z77-3dh motherboard

corsair h80i cpu cooler

amd 7950 3gb graphics card

wd 2tb hdd

samsung 500gb solid state drive

just built it £1300 worth :(

I noticed most people use intel CPU's? I do too, but can anyone tell me why amd ones aren't as good? Surely they would be, if you have money to spend? idk, anyway:

Intel i5 3570K 3.4ghz (quad)

ASrock mobo, a Z77 something, cant remember the name.
Corsair 2x4GB Low Profile RAM
Aerocool Strike X Mid tower

Seagate 1TB HDD

XFX 7870 2GB GPU. Love it

Corsair CX600 600W PSU

Win8 64bit.

I like my build. Just wondering what next, any advice? or any criticisms? If I wanted to make someone cry I would take a picture of my PC inside. There's is no form of organisation, wires are everywhere...EVERYWHERE. I'll probably tidy it next time i make an upgrade.

The best AMD CPU is the equilivant to a 3570k I5 CPU, onwhich terms they do compete pretty well against well another. but the I7 3770k and higher (the 6core cpu on 2011 socket) blow the amd cpu out the water.

Only downside is that you do pay alot more for the intel cpu over amd but it is generally better performance per core.

Although a better reason I prefer the intel over amd is because the motherboards are better, although with AMD rigs you can overclock massivily, and they are better in some price ranges for video editing, but for gaming intel is the way to go.

Thanks Sheriff, and Dev, I thought I was in season? lol I bought the card at the beginning of the year thinking I was making a good move (£160 with 11 games in total, they screwed some things up so offered extra games lol) :P

Btw, did you guys hear, the PC that they played BF4 on had 2 7990's and the backup was 3 Titans... :o

Thanks Sheriff, and Dev, I thought I was in season? lol I bought the card at the beginning of the year thinking I was making a good move (£160 with 11 games in total, they screwed some things up so offered extra games lol) :P

Btw, did you guys hear, the PC that they played BF4 on had 2 7990's and the backup was 3 Titans... :o

their rig they used for the feature movie was 3 titans,a 3970x asus rampage iv extreme,64gb 1866mhz ram cpu and gpu watercooled

Archived