Small Claims Court

Cyrax
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Small Claims Court of our wonderful legal system?

I think i have a pretty good grasp of it.

As some of you may have guessed I am still chasing my money down, and I am pretty much at the last step. Some real nasty people out there who think they can just take your money and disappear.

From what I can tell he is a member of this team -

http://www.facebook.com/groups/orangeguys.worthing/

Anyone know them? He is based in West Sussex, so if anyone else here is from that area, you may know of them?

So far he has deleted his old email account and, i believe, blocked my phone.

I was thinking of doing that. However, its impossible to tell if they are the kind of friends that say "Well you should give him the money", or the kind of friends that suggested he take it in the first place. Don't want to have a group of "enemies" on my hands.

What has thrown me as well is according to BT phonebook and other similar sites, the address he told me is not registered in his family name. And there doesn't seem to be anyone by that name in Bognor Regis.

Im going to send a letter to that home addy any way. As the money managed to reach him, im sure that letter should. Likewise, the claims form will too.

Small claims court is a waste of time tbh. They dont even have to turn up by law and they judge can even state that they pay you back 50p per week. Even then they dont have to pay it. Its too much hassle and stress and you find yourself chasing after them all the time and your life is never the same.

Get your Solicitor to write them a snotty letter, that normally does the trick. I am in the process of taking a company to court as im owed over 5k and damages for breech of contract. I would speak to a Solicitor before you do anything mate.

You can always call west sussex Police and ask them to send an officer over. They are helpful that way if you have his telephone number, as it can be traced to an address.

Personally id get his info and start breaking fingers.........But Im just a nice person like that.

Small claims court is a waste of time tbh. They dont even have to turn up by law and they judge can even state that they pay you back 50p per week. Even then they dont have to pay it. Its too much hassle and stress and you find yourself chasing after them all the time and your life is never the same.

Get your Solicitor to write them a snotty letter, that normally does the trick. I am in the process of taking a company to court as im owed over 5k and damages for breech of contract. I would speak to a Solicitor before you do anything mate.

You can always call west sussex Police and ask them to send an officer over. They are helpful that way if you have his telephone number, as it can be traced to an address.

Thanks for the advice sonic. My claim is no where near as big, so 50p a day would do me fine. Ill try it first, if nothing happens i will explore other options. As it is not a massive amount of money, solicitors and the like are a big expense.

Might talk to the Citizens advice bureau. But ill see how far he wants to take it. If i ever hear from him.

Yea i would speak with them first, it might be a civil matter ( i dont know about your case or what happened ). If its a normal guy ( member of the public ) it might be a civil matter and the police wouldnt get into it. Your best bet in that case is as the guy said below me. Let it drop for a few months, then take other measures. People need to understand they can't just steal and try and hide.

which one of them is it? we get the worthing lot playing at our site often, but dont recognise any faces, but can ask the others when i see them

Yea i would speak with them first, it might be a civil matter ( i dont know about your case or what happened ). If its a normal guy ( member of the public ) it might be a civil matter and the police wouldnt get into it. Your best bet in that case is as the guy said below me. Let it drop for a few months, then take other measures. People need to understand they can't just steal and try and hide.

Basically, guy posted a gun up for sale, I sent the money by postal order as his paypal wasnt working, then nothing. I got what I thought was his home address, a mobile number, a name and an email.

I think you are right about the police thing as well, and im a firm believer in not wasting their time, and only getting them involved as a last resort.

This is basically what i will do: http://www.trustonline.org.uk/understand-j...-what-are-they/

And it sits on his financial record.

which one of them is it? we get the worthing lot playing at our site often, but dont recognise any faces, but can ask the others when i see them

Its "Matthew Barnes" kejot. Any help would be greatly appreciated, my real name is Sam but if you happen to see him i dare say he hasnt forgotten my name on here, going to the trouble of blocking my phone and emails and all..

Have you tried calling him from a paybox? Also might be worth ringing the Police and giving them his number to alert them of this scammer as it seems he has been doing this on other forums called bunsboy?

But at the end of the day, i dont know the guy so i cant really talk about him with ought hearing both sides of the story. However, from your info you have given, it sounds like a scam.

This seems its an ongoing scam.

He legally can be arrested on grounds of fraud. if that helps.

although call his perants im sure he will have a change of heart......i mean id say he is about 16-17?

1. Go to google maps and look at the actual address with the little man thingy - that way you know if the address is offices or residential - if its residential there's a fair chance he lives at the address or its a member of family. If its an office the chances are he works there. Go visit him at his work - ask for him - ask him to meet you in reception or whatever so that there are witnesses to you challenging him. He wont want his employer knowing about his dodgy deals

2. The electoral roll is available for public scrutiny at the local library - go see who is registered at the address

3. Google the address - google the names of the occupants - find out as much as you can about them

4. Send an empty box to the address Royal Mail next day delivery. Be in your car within sight of the front door and see who answers the door - do they fit the description of the person you are looking for

2. Go through the small courts - a County Court Judgement (CCJ) will f**k up his credit rating for the next 6 years. He wont be able to borrow 10p for a cup of tea. It may not get your money back but it will give you some satisfaction.

Thanks for the ideas slow.

I live a bit far away for a few of the ideas, and i have checked it out on google maps, definitely residential.

The reason for some of his sales on here was "debt". That may not be true, but if it is the case, then happy days because he will be screwed for the next few years.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and ideas, I will keep you posted if anything happens.

I live near and have many friends in both Worthing and Bognor so may be able to help

And to lower the tone as I always do I would smash his sisters back doors in!!! Lol

Quick update, claim forms are filled in and sent, so now i wait! See if a bit of official documentation can help him remember.

Your not alone hes had me and loads of others on zero in

Maty barnes has been active on other sites too .i am happoy to share info with anby interested parties

Have loads of info on him pictures of him and his mates college mums name happy to share for some info in return

no i am not a friend of his i have been had like cyrex on another site

did i mention he is going to the weekender !!!! oops

What have you and other people from Zero's forum tried? Has anyone been successful? Unfortunately I have to give him 14 days or so to reply, so all I can do is wait.

Does his mum have the same surname? And have you spoken to her - does she care? Can you get hold of the discussions from zero's forum, copy and paste them, so i can collect all the data for my case. When I am successful, I will pass it all on so everyone else can get their money back.

If the forms work, he will pay up. If not, the courts will issue a CCJ, and then ill have to see what i can do next, or he will fight it in court, and I will need as much information as i can get.

Thanks for getting in touch dirtydash.

Archived