G&G MP5A4

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Gun Name and maker: As above

FPS: 325 - 330 out of the box.

Hop up: Yes and it's ruddy fantastic. Not the wheel type though, it's like a little plastic stick and you pull it away from the barrel, towards the rear of the gun for more hop and push it forwards towards the barrel for less.

The travel distance is a good inch as well, I don't know if that's because the hop up rubber is massive, or what. But it feel like it'll last a looonnnnggg time.

As usual it's located under the ejection port cover, which can be locked open, as well as slapped shut in true H&K form.

Mag Capacity: Comes with a weighted, metal 200 round hi-cap.

Battery: Fits just about any and all under the sun. I'm running it on an 8.4v 3300mah and it fits in the stock perfectly.

Plastic/Metal/Both: Ahead of the reciever the hand guard is a nice sturdy ABS and the barrel above it, as well as the charging handle are some kind of aluminimum alloy, judging by the look and feel. The upper reciever is a slightly textured pot metal, it could be better but it looks the part and doesn't weigh much.

Lower reciever, pistol grip and full stock are all ABS like the hand guard.

My opinion and overall comments:

As my first AEG I can't put a single thing against it.

I'm used to my very dodgy, skittish WE M16 which is a gas blowback rifle and in terms of reliability this is just in a new league. I've fired about 1000 rounds through it since I got it and it hasn't skipped a beat, I've even used .2, .3 and .4g BBs and apart from not being able to see the .4s because they're black, it seemed to perform almost exactly the same aside from needing more hop as the weight increased.

The pneumatic blowback is the best thing ever, there's no kick but it actually works! It moves with every single shot as it's powered by residual air, not used in the launching of the BB and it NEVER gets stuck in the middle on auto.

It also makes the gun sound a bajillion times better than standard whiney AEGs because the thud of the ejection port hides any rubbish gearbox noises.

Also, the blowback doesn't work when there's no rounds loaded because it requires that pressure in the barrel from a BB being present to operate.

Accuracy is utterly unbelievable, at 20m I can hit a coke can every time, using the iron sights. Though they're centred ever so slightly left of where the shots go and aren't adjustable, which is a shame. Though there is a choice of 4 rear apature sizes.

I'd say it's accurate to around 35m (but it can easily go 50m), at least enough to hit a person without any effort.

On auto it has a commendable rate of fire, though the selector lever does tend to dig into your hand when it's in the auto position, which can be a pain but I doubt you'll notice it when skirmishing and I wear gloves anyway so it won't be a problem for me.

It's a shame it lacks the burst mode, but I know I'd never use it anyway so I can overlook that.

Overall rating:

Generally, I'd give it 8/10, the only things I have against it is the seemingly low FPS, I'm used to over 400fps even with .3 gram bbs and this just can't tear stuff up the same way, but the accuracy more than makes up for that and it's not really anything against the gun, more how I perceive it.

The other thing is that although it weighs around the same as the real steel, at 2.5kg, compared to the heft and strong build of my previous gas rifle, it just doesn't feel as... Real. If you know what I mean?

I can't imagine the real one feeling the same, I'd expect it to seem a little heavier and thicker. Can't really explain it. It might just be me being weird.

Bought from:

I bought it at Landwarrior for £220, it came without a battery or charger, but it did come with a 20mm claw mount, picatinny style rail, a velco G&G armament badge for your airsoft gear, a detachable flash hider to cover the threaded outer barrel and, Landwarrior threw in a drumstick lolly because they're goddamn awesome xD

Skirmish report:

I took this out for its first skirmish yesterday and I was really happy with it, I landed a hell of a lot of kills in CQB, just popping up from windows and double tapping people in the face :P, accuracy is unbeatable at under 35m, I was getting people through cracks and windows from around 170 degree angles, so the gaps were insanely small and they just sailed right though.

Got a lot of nice kills in the trench games as well.

It lacks range though, especially when compared to the guy that bought a Systema M4 D= but I guess that's expected from a CQB weapon lol.

Only real problem I had was that on auto, the mag wasn't feeding at the same rate the gun could fire, but I tend not to use auto unless I'm clearing a bunker or shooting down a trench.

All I know is that after skirmishing it, I love it even more than I did before and I don't know why Marksman hates G&G so much :lol:

Thanks for reading.

• Supporters

I play at Phoenix Airsoft's woodland site. They are generally pretty leniant about the fps, when I took my M16 they just used to say, "Aim low and don't use auto" and this guy had a two tone AK that chrono'd at 400 and they just told him not to use auto.

The site is utterly massive though. It's basically about a mile of trenches in dense woodland, so the chance of you really hurting someone at close range is pretty slim, there's only one close quarters area as well and it's a big two story castle. People generally say that they're hit when they catch a richocet because it hurts so much sometimes, so it's not often anyone gets hit directly when they're in there.

It never performed like that at a Skirmish because obviously the mags got cold. When skirmishing it probably ran at about 340 on average.

But, when I was at home and kept them indoors to warm them up it must've been at least that hot when shooting in the garden. It could go through both sides of an empty coke can with ease at under 10 feet.

• Supporters

Bump.

Updated FPS and added skirmish report.

• 2 weeks later...
Hop up: it's like a little plastic stick and you pull it away from the barrel, towards the rear of the gun for more hop and push it forwards towards the barrel for less.

:blink:

So THATS where the hop up is. i honestly thought my hop was un-adjustable

• Supporters

Lmao.

Well I'm glad I've helped you out Turtle.

And cheers Cameron

• 9 months later...
  • Supporters

Just thought I'd add to this very briefly.

I've had this for about a year now and it's still performing just as it was on day one, accuracy is still inch perfect, trigger response is still fantastic due to G&G's pre-cocking system, blowback is as neat as ever and most importantly the gun is still shooting a very consistent 325fps, barely any change at all.

Of the 10 guns I've owned over the last two years, this remains the only one I haven't touched the internals of at all, it is still completely stock. Still shooting with the barrel it came with, the hop it came with, the spring it came with, I haven't opened the gearbox or anything and considering I only use it for CQB games I don't feel the need to do anything to it either.

It shoots .20s accurately out to 40m and it is simply a dream to shoot, if up close and personal is the way you like to play then I can't recommend this highly enough.

If you're thinking of buying one with the intention of using it for woodland then you will manage, but to even the odds a little better I would advise installing a tight bore barrel for that bit of added oomph.

I'm also going to upgrade my original /10 score to 10/10 I've come to realise that the reasons stated above were not ample to deduct marks off this gun, considering I've done nothing to it and don't feel the need to I'd say it's probably the best airsoft gun I've ever owned, or used.

• 4 months later...

Wasnt exactly sure where I should be posting this but since Ed already made a thread for this then I may as well put my opinions here.

Skirmished my G&G MP5 SD6 for the first time on Saturday and I must say I am very satisfied with what I bought :)

The pneumatic blowback worked perfectly and helped mask the gearbox sound with some of the proper moving metal sound you're supposed to hear. The retractable stock also came in handy several times throughout the day. Sometimess I needed to have it retracted for movement, and other times I needed it to steady my aim on those longer shots. All worked well in this area.

The range with 0.2g BBs was pretty bad but there was also quite a bit of wind about. Although even with the hop adjusted they just werent getting past 15m without flying up in the air or falling to the ground. Put in 0.25g BBs and its a different story. Straight all the way until they were out of view... at least 25m... Beautiful!

The battery lasted almost the entire day, it died at the start of the last round. I put about 2,000 rounds through it throughout the entire day and the only problems I've had so far are:

Gearbox locking on semi - Dont ask me why. I switch to semi, pull the trigger a couple of time and then the trigger wont budge! Switching to auto solved this for some reason.

Loose suppressor - I think the nut/thing inside just needs tightening a little with a very small alan key.

Overall I love it. I have a few kinks to work out but it is a solid weapon and functions just fine 99% of the time. All I need is more midcaps! I had to make do with a hicap and two mids... I had to refil the mags quite often!

• Supporters

I've never had mine jam before on semi. Usually it happens because people fire too fast on semi, so the second time they pull the trigger it interrupts the incomplete cycle from the first pull and jams the piston in a position where the spring is under too much tension for the motor to be able to pull it from that position, from a stand still.

If that makes sense?

As far as I know though, the G&G Top Tech series use a pre-cocking system, which means that instead of the trigger pull causing the piston to pull back and then release, it makes it release and then pull back again.

But I might be wrong. If it does use a pre-cocking system though, then it should reduce the chance of jams because the gearbox operates in a way that reduces the time it takes to fire one shot.

It might be something I look into a bit next time I'm short of stuff to do.

It could be happening to you because of the battery. Since I've got a full stock my battery is 3300mah. I hear from people that higher mah actually improves trigger response slightly, on top of the voltage. So you could try finding a battery of higher mah? Or you could get a 9.6v battery if you haven't already. Might be something worth trying.

Have you configured the hop correctly? The range on mine is at least 35m before it drops with .20s and it's shooting at around 320, even after a year.

For mags, have a look on airsoft supply drop. If you find any on there then you can take advantage of your forum "supporter" status and get a discount, because ASD are one of our sponsors :)

Thanks Ed, I will try out my 9.4v and see if I can recreate the conditions to get it to jam. I did think it seemed a little slow using an 8.6v.

I will get the pack of 8 midcaps from ASD in due time. Moneys low after buying christmas gifts. Cheers for reminding me as it's been difficult to find a pack of midcaps I can use. It doesn't say they were designed to be used with G&G though. But I guess we will find out in due time!

I'm still immensely happy with the weapon though. Range is great, weight is great, features are great... All around it leaves me with a smile when I use it... Apart from when I run out of BBs... Thats a sad moment.

• Supporters

The mags definitely work because they're the same as the ones I use in mine lol, they're good mags.

Some of them need a little persuading to go in the first time though, had me bricking it when they arrived. First mag just wouldn't go in, sat there for 5 minutes slapping it worrying that if I pushed too hard it'd break.

Didn't even occur to me to try the others... Which were all fine lol. All 8 fit and feed perfectly now.

The mags definitely work because they're the same as the ones I use in mine lol, they're good mags.

Some of them need a little persuading to go in the first time though, had me bricking it when they arrived. First mag just wouldn't go in, sat there for 5 minutes slapping it worrying that if I pushed too hard it'd break.

Didn't even occur to me to try the others... Which were all fine lol. All 8 fit and feed perfectly now.

One of the two mid caps I currently have wouldnt fit properly when I bought them. It was way too tight. Crapped myself a little. Then when it came to skirmishing one mag kept falling out! But after playing a game they both fit perfectly fine. I think it was just an issue with heat/cold. Since they were metal mags and the receiver is also metal so the slight expansion and contraction was probably the cause. Either way I will be ordering two tripple pouches and that pack of 8 mags from the site next week... Or the week after. Depends on when I get my PX4 :D (xmas present to myself haha)

• 8 months later...

Didn't know you goto Phoenix, Ed! Thats where I plan on going! :D

EDIT
DM, Just realised how long ago you put that :L
Was this the MP5 Top-Tech?

• Supporters

Go to Skirmish instead, the guys who run Phoenix are utter bar stewards, horrible, unpleasant people. They tried to burn down Skirmish's sign because they didn't like the competition! They just don't deserve the custom.

It is the Top Tech one though, yeah. Gen1, bought it in early/mid 2011, still got it, excellent gun. Only thing I've ever bought and felt no need to upgrade, it's just that good out of the box.

Archived