Ambush Airsoft: Chobham Site

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

http://www.ambushairsoft.com/chobham_site

Hi, welcome to my first day airsofting and first review of an airsoft site, obviously the first one I have ever been to. As such I can not bring much in the way of comparisons, but as an x paintball player I can bring some insight I hope.

Ambush Airsoft is behind land owned by a Horse / Stables area and the signage is a little faded, still I found it fairly easily. The white 3 bar gate noted on their site also has uprights all along it which confused me, but its still fairly obvious.

The website talks about driving down to the end of the road, but a recent change of policy by the stables means you now park in the main car park and walk down. So load your gear well for carrying, and drive slow and careful in the car park as horses and children are around. A 5mph limit is in place and you do need to observe it as a stone flicked at a horse would not be a good idea in terms of peoples view of airsofters...

The walk down is 200 yards or so, nothing really on the way in, but you do notice it walking home again after a long days play :P

Initial impressions of the safe zone are of standard paintball fair, plastic porta loos and basic wooden structures for the office, shop (sadly closed when I was there as at a show), and food counter. Plenty of table space to set your gear up, with some sun/rain cover over the main area. It can apparently get busy, so getting in at the start and nabbing a reasonable spot is worthwhile, but on my visit things were not too packed out. Players were all friendly, and staff were wearing ‘Site owner’ and ‘Marshal’ tops so even though this was my first visit, and first airsoft I could find them and get advice on the process to book in, etc.

chobham1.jpg

By magicaldr at 2011-07-24

Around 09:30 they opened up for booking in, there were no hire guns as you have to pre-book and everyone had their own AEG, bear this in mind if you plan to hire, call first. There were also no charge facilities when I was there, so make sure you have more than one decent batt with you or you will end up not playing. My own AEG made it to the last game then gave up the ghost.

If you are looking for a UKARA, then ask at the counter as they need to give you a form that they will sign on each of your 3 qualifying games and finally send off. Its quick and painless, as long as you know to ask :)

After booking in, along with buying 3000 BB's it was on to the ‘colourful’ safety briefing, which everyone does listen to. You wont get let off be this your 10th or 100th time, you listen. Then with a quick briefing and a 2 minute warning to pull your gear together it was off into the first game. A two game back to back basic eliminate the whole opposition as a warm up. This was followed by a series of interesting scenario games that lasted until someone finished their objective, which proved challenging yet fun. You can see the petrol the red team needed in the land rover, and the 2 man underwater pumping parts the blue team had to load below:

chobham3.th.jpg

The terrain is mostly wood, with occasional open clearings and a decent amount of mud / small streams. You are only allowed to cross streams at bridges, which makes some interesting pinch points. In the game zones which are small you have a land rover, ‘tank’, various huts and a fort. Also littered around are wooden, natural, and tyre walls for fire and manoeuvre, with plenty of encouragement shouted at you from the marshals. Objectives made good use of the land rover and other landmarks, and the size of the site works in your favour as you soon learn your way around.

chobham2.jpg

By magicaldr at 2011-07-24

Pic from same scenario game, Blue have got the pumping gear into the landy, now 4 people inside have to stay alive for 10 minutes while their team mates hold the ground around them. Photo of us working hard (me on left) in the land rover, well we did shout out fire positions to our team mates...

Cheating was minimal, play often at longish range but progressed at a reasonable pace. Some instances of camping on respawn points, but the marshals were around when needed. Players were all decent, friendly and offered help and advice liberally.

Lunch consisted of a burger and hotdog, with box of salad and cheese slices to spice them up. This was included in the day price of £20 and seconds were available, although I suspect that depends on how many turn up. Drinks were £1, chocolate 50p, ammo £10 for 3000 blaster BB’s.

Safety wise I strongly suggest listening, they have a simple way to ensure you don’t take risks in the safe zone. If you are seen with a magazine in an AEG or even holstered sidearm you are looking at 10 press ups in front of everyone, or miss the next game. We had one instance of this today, they chose press ups. I don’t think they will do it again and everyone was very careful not to have loaded weapons in the safe zone…

Overall a fun day, actual play ran from 10:00 – 15:30 area as we all voted for a shorter lunch and earlier finish. I would recommend this site, the language was a little ‘adult’, but there was genuine friendliness and the martial's cared that we had a good bash.

hi guys

i agree with this review ambush adventures chobham is a small but well run site?

i took my step daughter (it was her first time) and she loved it and cant wait to go again?

the games are realalistic the game i really enjoyed was the downed pilot game! they asked for two volenteers to be downed pilots one team had to defend the downed pilots the other team had to rescue them and move them to the landrover and hold them for 10 mins we then swopped and what ever team did it faster won?

All the players and staff were friendly! and willing to help?

when my mp5 went down a member has offerd to have a look at repairing it for me?

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed a Wednesday evening with Ambush, so can now review this side of their offering :)

Main differences on evening game to day games:

• No food: - No snacks, drinks, or food on evening games so take a bottle of drink and some chocs :) (Good to carry a spare as bound to be someone there who will be in need)
  • Limited BB for sale - They DO have BB's for sale, but not that many and sold out. Not an issue tonight as no one wanted to see anyone without so I found BB's being shared to keep us all in the game.
  • Smaller - Was around 15 - 20 people which made much more intimate, yet still great gaming. Numbers vary according to the martial from 15 - 40 or so depending on the night.
  • It gets DARK - Which makes quite a challenge, tactical RIS mounted torch is very useful, but a bit of player marking tape and normal torch works as well. Obviously dark and woodland makes injury risks higher, so take it careful out there peeps, but its certainly different.

Timings wise the web site says 18:00 arrival, but unlike weekends where getting there early there are people around, on Wednesday dont arrive before 18:00 as you will be sitting around for quite a while alone... Sign in was around 18:45 with play starting around 19:00. They have to be clear of the site by 22:00, but fit in as many games as they can. Comparing to a Sunday, I would say this format works really well while there still daylight left in the evening. Its not that different from a Sunday in terms of play, yet it 1/2 price and you can get there after work if you close enough.

We got a good four games in. First game was a who is closest to the flag when the whistle blows. Lots of action played in the wooden village then back to safe zone for quick reload and repeat of game the other way. These games worked really well for the number of players and marshalling was good standard.

This was followed by more complex scenario (again a 2 part game without safe zone visit in middle) involving defenders having a life per structure, fort, bunker, wall, another bunker. Each time a defender was shot they had to go to a respawn (land rover) and return to another building. Each building could be used once, if all you died as a defender in every structure you were fully out and you could not use any building should there be any enemy team in it. Opposing team had to get to the center ground, touch a large tree there and wait 5 counted seconds without getting shot out.

Although complex it made for interesting play, but as darkness closed in got harder and harder to hit anything and my black CQB load out started to actually work in my favour. At the end of twilight there was a lot of friendly fire (the martial wore a red flashing light which worked well until he turned his back, still owe him an apology for lighting him up). If you are playing this and coming back to a structure, I strongly suggest hand up and WALK... 2 of our own guys ran back and 3 of us lit them up which they were not best pleased at. As attackers on the last game the re-spawn was miles away in dark woods, which didn't really work but we had a good time.

Ultimately darkness was the challenge, if you have a tac light it really helps (with pressure switch). With NV goggles / scope you would own the field. For us mere mortals we learned that all armies are the same size at night. This will be more of a challenge as winter draws in, but for £10 you get a good evenings play, some new challenges, and to meet some great guys.

Recommended if you are in the area :)

post-3087-1312414061_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

i went there every time it was open in july i was the lad with a fanged tow piece skull mask and m14.

• 1 month later...

Nov 2011 update: Another Sunday game, but this time we had good number of rentals onsite and the shop was open. So this will focus on the bits that were not included in my first review or evening games stuff since shop was closed and no rentals before :)

Gun Shop: Good selection of BB's 6 or 7 AEG's of various makes and a couple of shotguns (now one less as I own it). Large selection of GBB rifles and pistols, gun bags, latest copies of airsoft action, sights, arm bands, and selection of mags. Repairs coming and going, was very friendly and helpful. Takes credit cards.

Round the corner second shop doing camo, pouches, etc.

Check in desk/office still do .20 BB's, snacks, etc. So you have 3 places to run out of money. Check in was cash only so carry spare and change, could not buy chocolate later in day as they didn't have change for £5 note.

Note although their website says they do battery charging onsite, this is not the case.

Rentals were small AK type, seemed reliable enough and rental players are well looked after. Getting first dibs on lunch, help in field with AEG's if needed, etc.

Few issues today with balance of teams, blue were basically owned by the red (who were majority regular teams which shows how playing well helps) while blue were mostly single walk on / rentals. Random gun chrono's were performed but no hot guns, just really good hop ups and setups out there. Would still say this was a decent site to try your first game at as a rental player having now seen them playing.

Was mostly by look of it small stuff, MP5, MP7's and similar. Sadly I didn't really take enough notice as the shotgun was rather drawing my attention...

• 5 months later...

Update: Evening Games

Well the evening games are back on at Ambush which I found out today so popped along to have a bash in my new 80's loadout. The site is looking spruced up a little, new map, stairs and bridges fixed from what I saw. However there is now NO sales, no BB's, drinks, anything. So make sure you go prepared.

Also the fort is gently sinking in stinking mud, so if you get sent in there you may want to stay outside even if this will mean you get shot. Games were good due to excellent group of players turning up, but nothing special. Usual closest flag / objective type games. Darkness was an issue towards the end, but then again if you go kitted thats part of the fun. Do take a torch...

So Kit list for Wed game is: Own Gun as no rentals, BB's as none for sale, drink and food for same reason and spare shoes as some of the mud stinks like a cow been peeing in it for 6 months and decent torch...

Finally public thanks to those who lent me BB's as I went without any (by accident) meaning to pick up a bottle to supplement my small left overs from the my last game. Owe some peeps a beer or £5 (if you gave me the camo bottle with 0.25's you went before I could spot you any cash, nab me next time for a refill as I will be switching to .25s myself).

Shows the caliber of players there that peeps would help out a bearded tall wierdo bloke looking like a 1980 throwback and players do a site make... :)

Update: Evening Games

Well the evening games are back on at Ambush which I found out today so popped along to have a bash in my new 80's loadout. The site is looking spruced up a little, new map, stairs and bridges fixed from what I saw. However there is now NO sales, no BB's, drinks, anything. So make sure you go prepared.

Also the fort is gently sinking in stinking mud, so if you get sent in there you may want to stay outside even if this will mean you get shot. Games were good due to excellent group of players turning up, but nothing special. Usual closest flag / objective type games. Darkness was an issue towards the end, but then again if you go kitted thats part of the fun. Do take a torch...

So Kit list for Wed game is: Own Gun as no rentals, BB's as none for sale, drink and food for same reason and spare shoes as some of the mud stinks like a cow been peeing in it for 6 months and decent torch...

Finally public thanks to those who lent me BB's as I went without any (by accident) meaning to pick up a bottle to supplement my small left overs from the my last game. Owe some peeps a beer or £5 (if you gave me the camo bottle with 0.25's you went before I could spot you any cash, nab me next time for a refill as I will be switching to .25s myself).

Shows the caliber of players there that peeps would help out a bearded tall wierdo bloke looking like a 1980 throwback and players do a site make... :)

Scott here :) was a good evening, your G3 was kick ass and so was your loadout, shame you couldnt make it today as i rocked the sh*t out of my M16!! got .25's in it and it shoots like a dream!

Archived