Registered Firearms Dealer

terryj
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

How come when i've spoken to a couple of R.F.D's they say i can come in to the shop & buy a Mauser L96 in black without airsoft club membership or Ukara? They say it comes under air rifles & is ukara excempt. Yet some airsoft shops advertise the same rifle but ukara required. I'm confuesd can any one help

Understand it one of those unexplainable parts of the law, an airsoft (designed to be unable to hurt people) has to be painted. An identical looking airgun that really can hurt you doesn't need painting as its a real weapon, but you can only buy it over the counter, not on internet.

How pushing the 'bad guys' into buying more dangerous weapons reduces violent crime I dont know and leave to politicians to explain. That said at least we have the skirmisher defence, could have been worse, still it isnt in my opinion good law and as spock would say "Its not logical captain"

• Supporters

I can tell you why they say that.

Being part of UKARA is expensive, I can't say how much but it costs hundreds of pounds per year to be legally allowed to sell RIF's. RFD's dont sell many airsoft guns, so claim that they are selling airguns, which they ARE registered for and it saves them several hundered quid a year.

The sale price for the mauser L96 is £150, the buying price for the retailer is around £100-120 depending on the supplier, so you'd have to sell loads to make a profit on them.

also, the mauser L96 isnt an air gun, it fires at around 400fps tops out of the box.

• Supporters

Just to add, my step-dad was on the phone to X-Site earlier this week.

He told me that they can no longer post sniper rifles as they are classed as air rifles, not airsoft guns. So buying them has to be a face-to-face deal, you have to be 18 and have ID and UKARA would not be needed.

He said they said that this was for 400fps+

Can anyone clear that one up?

People at skirmishes don't check UKARA and they won't know if you have UKARA or not. You don't have to have UKARA to own a gun, just to buy/sell one.

So no questions will be asked.

Heard about this thing with snipers going on a while back from Zakaria. Yet more limitations to the under 18 airsofting community <_< However I don't know of any other sites that do this so at most sites I suspect sniping will be the same affair.

• Supporters

I think it is action hobbies and a few smaller RFD's that do that for sniper rifles, I can't see why, to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a change to the laws regarding airsoft guns, and if there has, how are people supposed to legally upgrade their rifle to fire at 500fps?

The thing is we don't even know if this is law?

I doubt many people do, even those who draft it are often surprised how it then gets interpreted when tested in a court.

• AF-UK Founding Member

I don't know but from what I remember it is down to the energy involved not the FPS. Obviously air rifles generally tend to fire metal pellets. That's where I see the difference.

I don't know but from what I remember it is down to the energy involved not the FPS. Obviously air rifles generally tend to fire metal pellets. That's where I see the difference.

I believe an airsoft gun is a gun firing under 1 joule.

I do know that any gun over 1 joule is legally classed as an airgun.

• Supporters
I believe an airsoft gun is a gun firing under 1 joule.

I do know that any gun over 1 joule is legally classed as an airgun.

1 Joule = 328 with a .20g BB though. So that would mean that sniper rifles fall under the airgun category, considering they fire up to 2.3 Joules (500 FPS with a .20g).

Correct, I'm pretty sure that is correct too, ill look into it

Its right, i bought a dan wesson 6'' in 6mm doing nearly 3j and no ukara b/s as its an airgun :).....going to that shop to buy my airsoft sniper rifle as he has a cybergun account(want the G&G M14 veteran).

Archived