What makes it a DMR?

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I was just messing around with my sniper parts, and decided I'd see what my M4 looks like with a 290mm silencer, bi-pod and a 3-9x40 scope. It looks somewhat odd..

I thought, if I used a Vietnam style magazine (as they're shorter), and maybe lose the crane stock and add an M16 stock, it'd start to look more like a semi-auto sniper rifle.

Basically, I was just wondering on what you would define as a DMR, and what you would define as an AEG with a longer barrel, scope and bit more power?

Could an M4-CQB become a DMR with just the addition of a couple of attachments?

• Supporters

A DMR is esentually an accurised assault rifle.

What you put on it is up to you, for example I use an acog. I'd say semi only is a must, length doesn't matter much to me, watch Gary Gordon in bhd for example.

• Supporters

So, if I put a slightly longer tight bore in my M4, upgraded the internals so it shoots about 380-400 fps, put a scope on it, limited it to semi/safe only. You would class it as a DMR?

• Supporters

Yeah that'd pass in my books, how you set up your rifle is quite a personal decision on how to get it 'just right'. Unfortunately my local site limits me to 350, other wise is have mine at 420

• Supporters

Only 350? What about spring snipers?

My local sites have 345 for AEG and 500 for sniper/DMR (woodland) and 400 (urban).

I like the sniping role, but my L96 is too powerful for urban, and I want a semi-auto 'cause it seems to match better :L

• Supporters

What my M4 looks like :P

img2011072000149.jpg

Now to plan to upgrade the internals..

I know barrel, hop up and spring.. but which makes and anything else?

It shoots 330 now, so if I upgraded spring to 400, would I need new anything else to handle it?

i just use an ics l86 with and acog and it works quite well

There is a thread on the interent that shows you how to make a DMR not just an M4 with sniper style stuff stuck on it, it looks at internals optimisations and the likes when I find it ill pop it in here for you.

• Supporters

Marksman, have you got a picture of your gun?

I have an ICS L85 set up as a DMR. It has a tightbore, ACOG, is coverted to semi only, has a Guarder SP140 on the lowest spring setting and was last chrono'd at 436fps (the site has a 450 limit for semi AEG's).

Range and accuracy is impressive and with patience, i.e. sitting still in a bush for periods of time, you can get a lot of one shot kills. You shouldn't be detected particularly if you use dark coloured BB's (except I giggle a lot at my sneakiness which can give my position away) :P

Basically, I was just wondering on what you would define as a DMR, and what you would define as an AEG with a longer barrel, scope and bit more power?

Could an M4-CQB become a DMR with just the addition of a couple of attachments?

I'd say it's not really the look of the gun as much as the performance which defines it (except it has to be a rifle, no SMGs obviously). IMO DMR = sniper hunter. If you can't go up against snipers with it, it's not a DMR!

If the gun falls just short of the minimum DMR standard, I'd be tempted to call it a battle rifle; although I'm aware this doesn't fit in with the actual definition of battle rifle, it seems to fit.

And hey, if the M4-CQB's heavily upgraded enough that it's got the performance, then I guess it'd have to be a DMR.

Archived