The happy thread!

Finius

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Mum said I'm not allowed to kill the cat, or give it away. Apparently it's not normal?

• Supporters

I just managed to fit the L96 500mm twist barrel I have in my L85 and it works FLAWLESSLY, I hardly even need .001mm of hop on and the range is staggering, accuracy is also very good and best of all despite what people say about the fps needing to be low, I've just tried shooting it on the 400fps with .20s setting, except using .25s and the range just gets better and better.

So what I now have, is the coolest looking gun ever (shut up Tom) that can be made PERFECT for EVERYTHING right across the board, from CQB, to midrange woodland, to DMR standard accuracy and range.

The only super suckish thing, is that I didn't manage to fit the twist barrel in time for my skirmish yesterday, so I had to contend with average tight bore range and for some reason my stupid hop unit decided it was going to send my shots 500m in the air despite not even being on. I had my ACOG's up post maxed out and the shots were still flying out of view, I could only kill anyone at extremely close or extremely long ranges lol.

Still, it was an awesome day, I don't think I'll ever play as part of a 75 vs 75 man team again until the NAE. My christmas walkie talkies worked a treat as well, we stayed in constant contact with the mortar team 500m down the road, 'twas thoroughly awesome.

• Supporters

My death has been postponed for a day because the ICT teacher was off! :D

• AF-UK Founding Member
I just managed to fit the L96 500mm twist barrel I have in my L85 and it works FLAWLESSLY, I hardly even need .001mm of hop on and the range is staggering, accuracy is also very good and best of all despite what people say about the fps needing to be low, I've just tried shooting it on the 400fps with .20s setting, except using .25s and the range just gets better and better.

So what I now have, is the coolest looking gun ever (shut up Tom) that can be made PERFECT for EVERYTHING right across the board, from CQB, to midrange woodland, to DMR standard accuracy and range.

The only super suckish thing, is that I didn't manage to fit the twist barrel in time for my skirmish yesterday, so I had to contend with average tight bore range and for some reason my stupid hop unit decided it was going to send my shots 500m in the air despite not even being on. I had my ACOG's up post maxed out and the shots were still flying out of view, I could only kill anyone at extremely close or extremely long ranges lol.

Still, it was an awesome day, I don't think I'll ever play as part of a 75 vs 75 man team again until the NAE. My christmas walkie talkies worked a treat as well, we stayed in constant contact with the mortar team 500m down the road, 'twas thoroughly awesome.

F*ck me! Something actually worked for you as you were hoping!

• Supporters

Ed, how did you get it to fit, and would it work for an M4 style hop unit?

• Supporters
Looks like it's goodbye Coventry University for me soon :D

That makes me ecstatic.

Why Finius? :(

I'm wasting my time trying to earn a decent degree from Cov Uni, their degrees are not decent and never will be.

Thus, Finius is joining the Forces.

GOOD NEWS!

It seems hampshire contabulary next requitmen drive is in the same year I will leave collage....

Thus, Cam is joining the police.... in 6 years

• Supporters

I didn't get killed :D

• Supporters
Ed, how did you get it to fit, and would it work for an M4 style hop unit?

Well, before I put it in my L85 I had it in my G&P M16 for a bit whilst I was waiting for my L85 to get back from the shop and it just worked right off the bat.

Standard AEG hop rubbers have a groove along the bottom inside edge though and the female groove in the barrel is a lot shorter, so it doesn't mesh 100% with hop rubbers, but they do work.

It also doesn't mesh with the lugs that hook into the grooves on the side of the barrel to hold it in place, so you can either leave the retention bit out, as it doesn't really help much, or you can just put it back in anyway, though it won't fit properly. I held the barrel in place by wrapping tape around the outside of it to create a friction seal between the inner and outer barrels. Once it was in there it worked fine, really made a properly noticeable difference as well.

One more thing though, the outside diameter of the barrel is wider than the stock barrel, meaning it's quite a tight fit in the hop unit, I had to use the stock rubber as the madbull one is slightly thicker and wouldn't squeeze in.

As for making it fit in my L85, I just cut the madbull hop rubber in half so that the groove along the bottom inside edge did mesh properly with the barrel, then removed the standard L85 retention piece and then did the same as in the M16 to hold it in place, just wrapped tape around the barrel until it fit very tightly into the outer barrel.

Works a dream. Hop is barely on at all and the gun shoots at least 45m before there's even a hint of pellet drop.

• Supporters

I may get one for my M16 then. What weight BBs do you use?

• Supporters

I tried it with .20s and .25s and got better range out of the .25s, which amazed me no end, as the gun only shoots at 315 with .20s. It must've been about 260 with .25s which is woefully poor for a full length rifle in my opinion, but it was hitting things at around 40 metres no problem.

• Supporters

I know, but there's a point where the fps can be too low for hop up to really help anymore and I thought 250ish would be roughly around that mark.

• Supporters

Another thing to add to my to-buy list.. it's getting expensively long at the moment.

after months of fitness training and recording it all ive finally been given the go ahead today and that im now medically eligible for selection B)

Well I just watched 'Dr Strangelove' and that has made me very happy, now watching 'Lord of War' for the second time in two days. I get my AK back tomorrow for a shiny new wood kit, and I am doing some 'charity' work for my school.... and it lets me get accses to some old records and stuff.

Buttt.... I am also comming over with a cold.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.