Sci Fi Airsoft

magicaldr
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Usual apologies if this covered somewhere, have dug through legal and not found it. As a sci fi freak I am tempted (and this unlikely to happen in any short term sense, mainly as right now there no replica kits to look to convert) to make a phaser rifle (Star Trek). For additional fun I would like to build an airsoft heart into it so I could potentially play.

Similar to the aliens pulse rifle conversion, not planning to build an entire gun from scratch but combine a model kit with a stripped down AEG, prob a P90 since I need a built in magazine style.

Would a phaser rifle be a RIF or even an IF since apart from being vague rifle shaped, it looks nothing like any real firearm? It looks like a laser gun. The one I want to do is from Star Trek Enterprise, as used by the Maco's. Pics of props can be found here for non trek fans, scroll right down as the drawings at the top not as good as screenshots at bottom of page.

http://www.phasers.net/2150/maco.htm

Also assuming I managed this would anyone think skirmishing would be ok with a 'sci fi' rather than 'real' weapon? Possibly with replica uniform as the macos had pretty good CQB camo.

• Supporters

Well, finius will know for sure but

I think if it can look like a real gun from a distance to an untrained eye then it is a rif

But as above, wait for finius to reply

• Supporters

If a random person on the street could fear that is was a gun, then it becomes an RIF. Most places assume also, that anything with a pistol grip or trigger is at least an IF.

For it to be a RIF, it must be of a certain size and of "realistic colours". This size, is 38mm tall and 70mm long. So anything bigger than that, which is also of a colour you'd expect a firearm to be (black, tan, foliage green, whatever), is a RIF.

Anything that is smaller than that, OR of a totally impractical colour (e.g. clear or two tone) is classed an an IF.

Note: for it to be a RIF, it must meet both of the requirements, to be IF, it need only match up with one.

In this case, that Maco thing in full size and proper colours, as pretty as it is, could be a shotgun or submachine gun; if I didn't know anything about guns and was just Johnny-shopkeep and you tried to rob me with it, I'd think it was real. It is also well above the size requirement and also of realistic colour. Therefore, as is presented, is an RIF. Change the colours and you would have an IF.

I take it you don't have access to the skirmishers age requirement and defense?

Not yet, just in process of purchase of a rather nice clear body M4 to get playing. By the time I get around to this little project I will be fully skirmished up :)

Age not an issue, well past 30 and this my mid life crisis plan, its cheaper than a harley ;)

• 1 month later...
Not yet, just in process of purchase of a rather nice clear body M4 to get playing. By the time I get around to this little project I will be fully skirmished up :)

Age not an issue, well past 30 and this my mid life crisis plan, its cheaper than a harley ;)

When in doubt of the law, just do it any way. Its not like you intend to rob a bank with it or cause any alarm or distress. Know you know you can't plead ignorance.

• Supporters

If you did use a P90 as a base rifle would you get away with it if you shrank the design slightly? I'm not planning to, I've not even been able to open the link, I'm just curious.

P90's don't have pistol grips, per se and they're only 50cm long, so they'd be under the size limit too.

Tbh I don't think P90s look much like "real guns" anyway, at least not to your average Joe who knows nothing about guns.

Unless they've watched Stargate a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters
If you did use a P90 as a base rifle would you get away with it if you shrank the design slightly? I'm not planning to, I've not even been able to open the link, I'm just curious.

P90's don't have pistol grips, per se and they're only 50cm long, so they'd be under the size limit too.

Tbh I don't think P90s look much like "real guns" anyway, at least not to your average Joe who knows nothing about guns.

Unless they've watched Stargate a lot.

Sorry to resurrect this, but...

The P90 is well over the size limit, which is about 7x4cm. The pistol grip factors into it none when looking at strict legality, but is a common factor when retailers have some discretion or doubt as to what something is.

I don't think you'd get away with it, and frankly, it's not worth trying to.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this phaser still an idea in back of my head, funny someone mentions stargate and the P90. This same conversation offline lead to me watching all of stargate from season 1 on (currently mid season 3), so now a stargate loadout based on MP5 more likely to occur first.

I have an MP5 with torch grip, so minor mods, some US combats and badges off ebay and I get something Sci-fi that wont look out of place in any skirmish :)

Still once kid number 4 out of nappies and wont eat the parts a scratch built phaser will still be on the cards...

Archived