"Retro" Gaming 1995-2001

Finius

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 4 months later...
  • Supporters

The best game ever for me has to be Crash Team Racing for the PS1.

I still play Killzone 1 and Sniper Elite on the PS2 as well, they're great games.

• Supporters

Mentlegen, I think you have all missed off the BEST FPS game of ALL time that there ever has been or ever will be.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Rogue Spear.

you control 4 seperate squads, whom you hand pick from about 150 seperate people, each with their own talents and weknesses. You then pick each individual persons armour and weaponry (16 people in total)

you set each squad of 4 a route and timings to achieve

you can swap between the most senior and alive member of each of the 4 teams

if 1 bloke is killed, deal with it and play as someone else, it doesn't end there.

Doesn't run on Vista or later - you can pick it up for like £2 in CEX or the likes, I would really love to know if it runs on XP (failing that I'm building a windows 2000 Gaming rig)

• Supporters

I agree. BUT!

Lockdown needs to have every copy ever made destroyed. The "Realistic" difficulty on Vegas1/2 is terrible as well.

But Lockdown... that just was the most massive pile of turd ever. I think Black Arrow was my favourite. I used to love that such a seemingly basic game actually included proper reloading and gave you chambre rounds and stuff, that made the series for me. Realism ftw.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add to it anyways (since older games are awesome).

Im surprised nobody has mentioned The Settlers II! One of the best games ever made and its all done through resource and building management. I also still play Transport Tycoon a lot. Although now there is OTTD which is awesome.

Some other older games I thought I might mention:

Silent Bomber (PS1)

LAPD Future Cop (PS1)

Toy Story 2 (PS1)

GoldenEye (N64)

Super Smash Bros (N64)

Quake Arena (PC)

I also agree with what was said earlier about Crash Team Racing. Best racing game ever made :)

there are sooo many games I can go on about here

I have a huge folder of PS1 games that my dad used to play. The most memorable for me are: Oddworld Abe's odyssey, Oddworld Abe's exodus and of course Pandemonium! This thread is making me want to dig the PS1 out... hmm...

Ah Abe, still working though that game along with FF:X

Dug out ye old PS1 and PS2 emulator. Already completed MGS2 and 3.

Why is it old games have better replay value than the new stuff?

im sorry but have you lot never played command and conquer or even syphon filter on the PS1

• Supporters

I used to be fucking scared shitless of Abe's Odyssey ahaha. I never dared play it past about the 3rd level because the sligs or whatever they were called used to make that noise that made me brown my trousers xD

I never got past the first stage of Abes Odyssey because my parent wouldnt buy it me... So I just played a demo I got over and over and over. Who remembers demos? Back in the good ol days where magazines would actually give you playable demos. Good times. In a way I think gaming has devolved in some aspects. Shame

yeah i remember demos with ace combat and V rally dose any one remember the sega megadrive?

Remember? I have mine still under the tele! :P

The Megadrive is probably my favourite console ever. Even beats out the xbox just because of the memories it gave me as a kid :) Anybody play a game called Zombies?

• 1 year later...

Emulators. All the old Zeldas, which run nicely on my dedicated Raspberry Pi. Crash Bandicoot Warped and the like, and the old SSX. Games of my not so distant childhood :)

Emulators yes!!!!

Have been playing flashback and streets of rage all week

i loved the first medal of honors and do have them but GTA 5 is still the only game i play just now.

they are hardly retro games by the way. Not compared to things like paperboy, bomberman, street fighter, joust, manic miner and those games. Well before consoles came out. Amiga, atari, spectrum, commodore 64. 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" discs, cassettes and cartridges. They were retro games

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.